Official AIO Comic Strip!

The Front Counter is the main place for general Adventures in Odyssey discussions. Grab a Loc-Kno-Stra-Mal, and talk it up!
Polehaus53
Cookies & Creme

Official AIO Comic Strip!

That's right, the AIO Team has started releasing an official Adventures in Odyssey comic strip!
AIO Facebook Page wrote:Elsewhere in Odyssey is a Club-exclusive comic strip featuring all-new stories about your favorite characters. What are they up to that we don't hear about in the audio dramas? A free strip is released the first Monday of every month, while Club Members get to enjoy exclusive new strips every single week!
On the latest episode of the Official Adventures in Odyssey Podcast, the creators, Evan David and Brian Dawson, are interviewed and they talk about this comic and what it will be about. Be sure to give it a listen.

One of the things this comic series will be doing is regularly featuring characters who haven't been appearing in the show. It has been confirmed that Edwin Blackgaard is one of the characters who will be featured in the comics.

Here's the first comic strip which was released on the AIO Facebook Page today.
Don't know why the spoilers are shrinking images. Go to this link to view the image in a new tab and it should be easier to read: https://scontent-hou1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=62E03CD4
What are everyone's thoughts on this? I'm very interested to see how this will go. \:D/ :yes:
-Signed, PolehausFifty-three

Member of The Emily Rules Klub (est. 2012)

“We have it translated in every language: (กฎของเอมิลี่, Emily es la mejor, 艾米莉规则, Emily Quy tắc!, エミリーは最高です, emilyyay ulesray!, Эмили Правила!, Emily é a melhor, एमिली नियम!, Emily est la meilleure!, إميلي هي الأفضل!, Emily Kuralları!, אמילי שולטת!, Emily Regeln!, 에밀리 담당!, Si Emily ang pinakamahusay!, എമിലി രാജ്ഞിയാണ്!, એમિલી નિયમો!) that Emily RULES!”~The E.R.K.
ASmouseInTheHouse
Cookies & Creme

I have been quite happy with what we have seen from the comic strip so far.
Polehaus53 wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:57 pm
Here's the first comic strip which was released on the AIO Facebook Page today.
Don't know why the spoilers are shrinking images. Go to this link to view the image in a new tab and it should be easier to read: https://scontent-hou1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=62C881D4
What are everyone's thoughts on this? I'm very interested to see how this will go. \:D/ :yes:
I really like the art for Jason and Wooton! I especially like that they are not wearing the clothes they are usually seen wearing in album art. I look forward to seeing the depiction of other characters!
Polehaus53 wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:57 pm
One of the things this comic series will be doing is regularly featuring characters who haven't been appearing in the show. It has been confirmed that Edwin Blackgaard is one of the characters who will be featured in the comics.
I am very interested in seeing what other characters they bring back. Bart Rathbone? Jack and Joanne Allen? Rodney Rathbone? I think this is a great way to continue the stories of characters who are unable to appear in the audio series anymore.
However, I believe there could be a problem with this comic strip, depending on how far they take the "bringing back characters." I think it is fine for them to bring back characters who cannot return to the show (such as Jack Allen, etc.). But I do not think it is okay for the team to use the comic strip to bring back characters who could return to the audio series, and then never bring them back in the audio series with the explanation: "they appeared in the comic strip." :noway: This has not happened yet, but I am afraid it will. We'll see how it goes.

One potential problem aside, I look forward to seeing more of the new AIO Comic strip! :yes:
"Next up, Mark Morgan's message to all math maniacs in the middle school is meaningful if you mingle by the mezzanine for a momentous mix of methodological mayhem and a menagerie of multiplicative inversions. Ha ha ha! I bet I could say this backwards. Inversions multiplicative of menagerie a and mayhem methodological..."
MonkeyDude
Cookies & Creme

Ahhhh!! I haven't read it yet but I skimmed over it and I really, really like it!! Love this idea.
*Finger guns aggressively*
HurchinIsAbsurd
Vanilla

This is a really interesting and exciting idea. Especially since we've seen most of these characters in audio form, not visual, so this is kind of a new-ish form of storytelling for odyssey. (Or at least one that hasn't been explored so extensively)
Bananareader
Caramel Crunch

Here’s a link to a podcast that talks a little about the webcomic and it also mentions some of the characters the comics will feature; https://www.audiotheatrecentral.com/20 ... rview.html.

-- Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:25 pm --

I also just found out that the Official Adventures in Odyssey Youtube Channel Just released a video announcing
Bernard Walton's
Return. Here is a link to the video; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcHV7c0NS6w.
HurchinIsAbsurd
Vanilla

It's so awesome that Bernard will return. I really like how they're re-introducing pre-relaunch characters like him and Edwin Blackgaard.
jubihm09
Vanilla

HurchinIsAbsurd wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:20 pm
It's so awesome that Bernard will return. I really like how they're re-introducing pre-relaunch characters like him and Edwin Blackgaard.
I totally agree! I love Bernard, he has to be one of my favorite characters, his small comments in the background always make for a good laugh!
ASmouseInTheHouse
Cookies & Creme

Allow me to rant for a while about the Christmas series they just finished...
Bernard returning is pretty cool. I really like his art depiction and the things he does in the series: visits Whit's End, tries to wash windows in the London Eye, plays chess, gets a squeegee for Christmas... :lol:
Also, I'm a bit wary about them bringing back Leonard Meltsner. As I said earlier...
ASmouseInTheHouse wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:13 pm
I do not think it is okay for the team to use the comic strip to bring back characters who could return to the audio series, and then never bring them back in the audio series with the explanation: "they appeared in the comic strip." :noway:
So, I'm hoping this won't be the case and that they will eventually bring Leonard back in the actual audio series. We shall see.
My main complaint in this series is that Buck looks WAAAY too young. He looks like a twelve-year-old. Even when he and Eugene and Katrina are standing together, he is only as tall as their shoulders. Last I checked, Buck was at least sixteen. He does not look or act like a sixteen-year-old in this series, and this was very jarring and took a lot of the enjoyment out of reading. But why does he appear like this? Did the artist/writers not listen to any of Buck's episodes when they wrote this? Did they accidentally get his age wrong? Also, when they did their first comic series about the Harlequin Theater play, Buck looked closer to his age, so what went wrong here?
Also, I think Everett also looks a bit too young. If we were picking up where "The Top Floor" left off, I don't think his apparent age is too unreasonable, but I would think that some years have passed. But this is less of a problem than Buck's art.
All in all, I did like the series, but it was harder to enjoy because of Buck's art.
"Next up, Mark Morgan's message to all math maniacs in the middle school is meaningful if you mingle by the mezzanine for a momentous mix of methodological mayhem and a menagerie of multiplicative inversions. Ha ha ha! I bet I could say this backwards. Inversions multiplicative of menagerie a and mayhem methodological..."
djchatswithu
Cookies & Creme

Although I had some reservations after seeing the art style for the characters, I'm actually really starting to like these. thought I'd give a quick summary of the stories in case anyone's interested.
the first story, Whit's Welcome, is a comic version of of the "Lets see if this thing Works' opening. the invention is a a hodge podge object that jumps and bounces around until Whit is able to catch it.

2, Whit has arranged for Olivia, Jules and Zoe to produce a show at the harlequin theatre. Edwin has trouble letting the kids run everything, particularly when he finds out Buck is the lead actor and not him. Whit then reminds Edwin why he's doing the show and afterwards Edwin praises the girls.

3, Bart wants to do a cross-promotion with Whit but when Whit turns him down Bart and Rodney sneak into to promote it anyway. when Eugene approaches they hide in the imagination station, where they are sent back to the first century. after causing trouble they are about to be thrown into the sea when Eugene stops the program and the pair make a hasty exit.

4, Red meets Bernard in Connellesville and suggests he pop by Odyssey for a visit. after a somewhat awkward reunion with Eugene Bernard learns about Buck and joins Eugene, Katrina and Buck for Christmas in London with Leonard and Everett. after the family is reunited Eugene is annoyed when Buck spends more time with Bernard than him, but later Buck tells Eugene that he loves him as a dad and they and Katrina embrace.

there is also some bonus strips, which have only one part.
1, Wooton and Jason cook a barbeque on the back porch of Whits End.
2, On a hot day at whit's end Eugene arrives to find the place empty, except for Connie, who is struggling to keep cool. Whit says he has an idea and the three spend some time relaxing in the walk in freezer.
3Suzu gets ready for School only to find Whit still in his pajamas, explaining that it's a holiday and as such it's a school free day. Suzu sighs and states that she'll never understand some things in America. Whit laughs and offers to make her pancakes.
4, Eugene builds a robotic mech suit for a costume party, only to find that Katrina thought that Eugene wasn't going to dress up, which is why she and Buck dressed up as Connie and Whit, stating 'you can't have the Whit's End trio without Eugene".
5, Bill Kendall takes Connie and Jules away for Thanksgiving, discovering their destination is a warm sunny island paradise Connie's not too sure what this has to do with giving thanks. she later decides to enjoy as her family is what she's most thankful for.
6, Mathew gives Emily a Christmas present, which turns out to be a spatula, rather than the High tech magnifying glass Emily wanted.
The Jason/Wooton story was alright, and the Whit/Suzu one did make me laugh a bit." it was kind of strange seeing Katrina as Connie at first, but looking back it does work. I was kind of annoyed at the somewhat 'rushed' ending of "A very Merry Meltsner Christmas" though I did love the part with Eugene/Everett on the London eye (I really wish they had interacted more).
I think the thing I love most so far is seeing everyone in different outfits
ASmouseInTheHouse
Cookies & Creme

djchatswithu wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:37 am
I'm liking this as well! :yes:

Well, guys, it looks like my deepest fears for the Comic Strip have come true...
(spoiler warning)
They brought Richard Maxwell back...?! :x :mad:
Okay...I sort of saw this coming. After they brought back Bart, Bernard, Glossman, Leonard, Everett, I figured Maxwell would be next.
Here's why I think this is a problem:
ASmouseInTheHouse wrote:
But I do not think it is okay for the team to use the comic strip to bring back characters who could return to the audio series, and then never bring them back in the audio series with the explanation: "they appeared in the comic strip." :noway: This has not happened yet, but I am afraid it will.
Well, it's happened. To make matters worse, they posted a preview on the AIO FB page, and in the comments the team replied to someone, "you are witnessing his official return!"
Does this mean that Richard will never return in the audio series? Right now, I'm afraid so. A comic return is nothing compared to an audio mainstream return, if you ask me. In my opinion, I feel like the comic strip is kind of an easy way out for the AIO team: they don't have a current way (or any future plans) to bring back the old characters in the mainstream, so they just invent some way for them to return in the comic.

Would you rather have had Maxwell return in the audio series or in the comic?
What are your thoughts on this? Does this bother anyone else or is it just me?
djchatswithu
Cookies & Creme

ASmouseInTheHouse wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:24 pm
djchatswithu wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:37 am
I'm liking this as well! :yes:

Well, guys, it looks like my deepest fears for the Comic Strip have come true...
(spoiler warning)
They brought Richard Maxwell back...?! :x :mad:
Okay...I sort of saw this coming. After they brought back Bart, Bernard, Glossman, Leonard, Everett, I figured Maxwell would be next.
Here's why I think this is a problem:
ASmouseInTheHouse wrote:
But I do not think it is okay for the team to use the comic strip to bring back characters who could return to the audio series, and then never bring them back in the audio series with the explanation: "they appeared in the comic strip." :noway: This has not happened yet, but I am afraid it will.
Well, it's happened. To make matters worse, they posted a preview on the AIO FB page, and in the comments the team replied to someone, "you are witnessing his official return!"
Does this mean that Richard will never return in the audio series? Right now, I'm afraid so. A comic return is nothing compared to an audio mainstream return, if you ask me. In my opinion, I feel like the comic strip is kind of an easy way out for the AIO team: they don't have a current way (or any future plans) to bring back the old characters in the mainstream, so they just invent some way for them to return in the comic.

Would you rather have had Maxwell return in the audio series or in the comic?
What are your thoughts on this? Does this bother anyone else or is it just me?
Well I think it's still possible that he could return to the audio series. it would probably be similar to how Renae went from being a club exclusive character to the main series. All it would take is someone to say "last I heard you were in the hospital" or "I haven't seen you since...".
I was actually wondering if Richard knows about Tom? it would be kind of nice to see their storyline end with Richard visiting Tom's grave and paying his respects though I doubt they'd do that.
Patterson
Strawberry

I like the one-page gag comics, but agree that it's not the ideal way for AiO to introduce storylines involving long absent characters. The current storyline is really fast paced, seeming kinda rushed and it's a little confusing sometimes.

It does feel more like fan-fiction than an official Odyssey product to me because of the breakneck pace and the legacy characters, but I'm still curious to see where this storyline goes.

So that's what Applesauce does!
A universal key to control any electronic devices??! I bet it had a lot less applications way back when Whit first developed it in the 80s. Let's face it, we all knew Whit was a technomage all along.
Honestly, I'm hoping this storyline will either be just Whit dreaming, or an Issac the Chivelrous style "in the Imagination Station all along" adventure. If not, I hope that we at least get a book adaptation to flesh out the story better.

The comic's artstyle is a mixed bag for me. I love how Whit, Harlow(he kinda looks like Will Ryan!), and Edwin look. Vehemently dislike a few character designs and I'm indifferent to most. I never imagined that Dectective Polhaus would be J. Jonah Jameson's doppelganger!

Also, Officer Harley was mentioned! And might still work on the odyssey police force!
djchatswithu
Cookies & Creme

Patterson wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:05 pm
I like the one-page gag comics, but agree that it's not the ideal way for AiO to introduce storylines involving long absent characters. The current storyline is really fast paced, seeming kinda rushed and it's a little confusing sometimes.

It does feel more like fan-fiction than an official Odyssey product to me because of the breakneck pace and the legacy characters, but I'm still curious to see where this storyline goes.

So that's what Applesauce does!
A universal key to control any electronic devices??! I bet it had a lot less applications way back when Whit first developed it in the 80s. Let's face it, we all knew Whit was a technomage all along.
Also, Officer Harley was mentioned! And might still work on the odyssey police force!
I must say the monthly comics feel more like deleted scenes or excerpts from episodes. The one about Bart and Rodney was good, seemed like it could have been an unused idea for a 'split' episode, but the Christmas one felt especially rushed, the last one literally started with "A few hours and several explanations later". I'm quite enjoying "the Acolyte" though. it would be great if they made them into an actual book that non-Club members could buy.

Not only do some of these feel like fan fiction, the new Byte-sized storyline are uses some of the ideas I've been working on. (yeah, I know, I take ages). Nice to see Harlow, I just hope the team have finally decided on what he should look like! It makes sense that Harley is still around, though of course he recommended Harlow, they were both voiced by the same person!