Blackgaard Chronicles BOMBSHELL

The Front Counter is the main place for general Adventures in Odyssey discussions. Grab a Loc-Kno-Stra-Mal, and talk it up!
Monica Stone
Caramel Crunch

Blackgaard Chronicles BOMBSHELL

The preview for the fifth Blackgaard Chronicles novel, "Knight's Scheme" is currently on the club. This thread will contain major spoilers for the first three chapters so please read the preview before reading this thread. Continue reading under the spoiler tag at your own discretion.
You guys thought this year of Odyssey content couldn't get crazier after "The Rydell Revelations"? Try again! Blackgaard and the Chairman were working together to get that mineral! After Blackgaard's Castle burned down, the Chairman defunded Blackgaard's efforts because their investor was going backrupt. Their investor being the Soviet Union...? Okay then. The Soviet Union specifically funded the Center of Scientific Understanding, which Blackgaard was working under to obtain the mineral. Professor M (I know that's a tie to the Young Whit books although I haven't yet read them) had research and notes that would aid Blackgaard's quest for the mineral. The Chairman is giving these notes to the highest bidder to the dismay of Blackgaard.

While reading some of the chapter, I was questioning if my imagination was being overactive. "The Chairman" doesn't necessarily mean the Chairman from the Novacom Saga, right? I am going to add a short excerpt from the book. It takes place after Blackgaard storms out of the room. It's from the Chairman's perspective:
The C.O.S.U. was the past; he would now look to the future. And that future. . . was still in Odyssey.
I can't even process this. What? My head is spinning! What do you all think of this bombshell?
Be the reason someone smiles today.
ASmouseInTheHouse
Cookies & Creme

Monica Stone wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:56 pm
It's from the Chairman's perspective:
The C.O.S.U. was the past; he would now look to the future. And that future. . . was still in Odyssey.
I'm a bit confused... is it from the Chairman's perspective? I believe it is Blackgaard's, because that sentence follows Blackgaard's last action, not the Chairman's. The entire chapter was from Blackgaard's perspective anyway. I believe Blackgaard is referring to the mineral that is in Odyssey.
I am super excited for this book! It feels like I've been waiting forever for the next one to come out! :D
"Next up, Mark Morgan's message to all math maniacs in the middle school is meaningful if you mingle by the mezzanine for a momentous mix of methodological mayhem and a menagerie of multiplicative inversions. Ha ha ha! I bet I could say this backwards. Inversions multiplicative of menagerie a and mayhem methodological..."
Monica Stone
Caramel Crunch

ASmouseInTheHouse wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:44 pm
I'm a bit confused... is it from the Chairman's perspective? I believe it is Blackgaard's, because that sentence follows Blackgaard's last action, not the Chairman's. The entire chapter was from Blackgaard's perspective anyway. I believe Blackgaard is referring to the mineral that is in Odyssey.
I am super excited for this book! It feels like I've been waiting forever for the next one to come out! :D
Whoops, my bad. I re-read it and I realized my mistake. It *was* Blackgaard's perspective. I think I just got overly excited and read it the way I was thinking.

It's been about a year since the last book came out! I'm excited to read book 5. My mind is absolutely blown about the Chairman. I never thought they would ever touch the man with a ten-foot pole ever again! I thought Phil Lollar hadn't heard all of Novacom, so I wasn't expecting there to be any Chairman tie-ins so when this happened, I was shocked. "Flummoxed and gobsmacked" to quote Wooton & Penny.
Reading Blackgaard & the Chairman interact had me like:Image
What do you think of the Chairman tying into the Blackgaard Chronicles? With all BC book developments, it's weird to accept as canon to me, so I dunno. I was having heart palpations while reading, though.
ASmouseInTheHouse
Cookies & Creme

I'm not sure if I think it is the Chairman. If it is...well, I'd be very surprised. But before I decide it is the man, I'll have to see more proof. :) (resident skeptic here :yes:)
Monica Stone wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:05 pm
Me: "Ahhh, so maybe this is why the whole thing with the computer happens!" (maybe because he lost funding he wanted to sell the computer??)
I was shocked when I saw that Wilson was in the book! But I'm glad they're tying all these random bits of info we've had about Whit's past / his relatives together. Clara, Charlotte, and the Blackgaard Saga. :clap:
On a random note, I wonder if we'll see what happened to Gregory.
"Next up, Mark Morgan's message to all math maniacs in the middle school is meaningful if you mingle by the mezzanine for a momentous mix of methodological mayhem and a menagerie of multiplicative inversions. Ha ha ha! I bet I could say this backwards. Inversions multiplicative of menagerie a and mayhem methodological..."
Carl
Caramel Crunch

Monica Stone wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:56 pm
The preview for the fifth Blackgaard Chronicles novel, "Knight's Scheme" is currently on the club. This thread will contain major spoilers for the first three chapters so please read the preview before reading this thread. Continue reading under the spoiler tag at your own discretion.
You guys thought this year of Odyssey content couldn't get crazier after "The Rydell Revelations"? Try again! Blackgaard and the Chairman were working together to get that mineral! After Blackgaard's Castle burned down, the Chairman defunded Blackgaard's efforts because their investor was going backrupt. Their investor being the Soviet Union...? Okay then. The Soviet Union specifically funded the Center of Scientific Understanding, which Blackgaard was working under to obtain the mineral. Professor M (I know that's a tie to the Young Whit books although I haven't yet read them) had research and notes that would aid Blackgaard's quest for the mineral. The Chairman is giving these notes to the highest bidder to the dismay of Blackgaard.

While reading some of the chapter, I was questioning if my imagination was being overactive. "The Chairman" doesn't necessarily mean the Chairman from the Novacom Saga, right? I am going to add a short excerpt from the book. It takes place after Blackgaard storms out of the room. It's from the Chairman's perspective:
I can't even process this. What? My head is spinning! What do you all think of this bombshell?
Could be that it isn't the same chairman, but giving a response that I made on a blog a while ago, I hope not.
Here is the response:
My mouth literally dropped when I read chapter 2. Didn't Odyssey say that Novacom wasn't involved with Blackgaard or something like that? I don't know, but I can't WAIT for the rest of the chapters. One more thing. They are finally tying this thing into the Young Whit book!
Buckles shipper. Visit my Odyssey website at http://odyssey-news.com/.

Trista: Isn't it great to be an indevidual now, not just someone who wears what society tells them to wear?
Jules: But your telling my what to wear.
Trista: Of course, I'm your publicist, it's my job.

~#902 California Dreams, Part 1~
Carl
Caramel Crunch

Monica Stone wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:05 pm
ASmouseInTheHouse wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:44 pm
Whoops, my bad. I re-read it and I realized my mistake. It *was* Blackgaard's perspective. I think I just got overly excited and read it the way I was thinking.

It's been about a year since the last book came out! I'm excited to read book 5. My mind is absolutely blown about the Chairman. I never thought they would ever touch the man with a ten-foot pole ever again! I thought Phil Lollar hadn't heard all of Novacom, so I wasn't expecting there to be any Chairman tie-ins so when this happened, I was shocked. "Flummoxed and gobsmacked" to quote Wooton & Penny.
What do you think of the Chairman tying into the Blackgaard Chronicles? With all BC book developments, it's weird to accept as canon to me, so I dunno. I was having heart palpations while reading, though.
That is true, Phil hasn't heard the Novacom Saga, maybe because of all the hype of "Morrie is working with the chairman". He decided to listen to it, or just used the character? I don't know, but if this is the real Chairman, this will be HUGE.
Who is do you think Professor M is? If this is connected to Novacom with the Chairman, then could it be...Eugene (M for Melstner)?? Let me state how this could work. In Novacom they mention that Eugene was working on the wave technology for a while. How long? Judging by Odyssey time the span from the beginning Blackgaard to Novacom would have been about 2 3\4 to 3 1\2 years. It could be that Eugene was working by himself on the technology until about 1 3\4 years into that span of time that I mentioned above, then The Center of Scientific Understanding may have found out that Eugene was working on the technology through some kind of operative spying in Odyssey and they told Andromeda. Andromeda then contacted Eugene, telling him that they would hire him if he started to work in a professional lab nearby, hence the College. This also means that book five takes 1 3\4 years after the first Blackgaard events in Odyssey, which may not correctly line up with the timing of event, but this is the only sub logical theory, that contradicts a few of the established story parts. Could this be the correct theory, sure! But, it is very unlikely.Sorry for rambling on, any feedback would be appreciated. \:D/ :lol:

Trista: Isn't it great to be an indevidual now, not just someone who wears what society tells them to wear?

Monica Stone
Caramel Crunch

Skepticism is definitely healthy but I am pretty sold on that being the Chairman. I have a few observations/theories that may show why that the Chairman in chapter 2 was the Chairman:
  • Blackgaard refers to "the Chairman" as "the Chairman." That's so specific & so iconic to the show that this must be "the Chairman" from Novacom. The writers know what they're doing and they wouldn't have two characters both ominously only known as "the Chairman."
  • The C.O.S.U. (The Center of Scientific Understanding) probably invested in the radio waves to brain waves study in the Novacom saga. Although they pulled the funding for the Ruku project because of the collapse of the Soviet Union, the Chairman mentions the C.O.S.U. survive through other investors. Assuming they survived the fiancial crash, they could have thought the potential of legit mind control was worth the investment.
  • The idea of the Chairman being well aware of Odyssey, Whit & possibly Whit's tech through Blackgaard's project would make a ton of sense narratively.
  • The Blackgaard virus in "Blackgaard's Revenge" could actually be tied to the Novacom Saga and could have been a scheme of the Chairman and his henchmen as a pre-cursor to the radio waves/brain waves study.
Carl, I think Professor M is a reference to a Professor Mongol (sp?) in the Young Whit books. I haven't read them, but I have watched the Adventures in Odyssey Oddcast reviews of them (I need to buy them lol) and they made that connection.

Do we know what year Phil Lollar mentioned he never heard all of the Novacom episodes? He has likely had time to hear the ones he hadn't heard yet & wanted to connect the sagas, even in a small way. I do not think the Chairman was added to the BC books due to the hype of the Morrie/Chairman theory. Phil Lollar has been writing the BC books for several years now and has a plan, I'm sure. I don't think the writers ever formally denied a Blackgaard/Chairman connection, but they have mentioned they originally thought of making Blackgaard the chairman himself but decided against it.
ASmouseInTheHouse
Cookies & Creme

Carl wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:40 pm
Who is do you think Professor M is? If this is connected to Novacom with the Chairman, then could it be...Eugene (M for Melstner)?? Let me state how this could work. In Novacom they mention that Eugene was working on the wave technology for a while. How long? Judging by Odyssey time the span from the beginning Blackgaard to Novacom would have been about 2 3\4 to 3 1\2 years. It could be that Eugene was working by himself on the technology until about 1 3\4 years into that span of time that I mentioned above, then The Center of Scientific Understanding may have found out that Eugene was working on the technology through some kind of operative spying in Odyssey and they told Andromeda. Andromeda then contacted Eugene, telling him that they would hire him if he started to work in a professional lab nearby, hence the College. This also means that book five takes 1 3\4 years after the first Blackgaard events in Odyssey, which may not correctly line up with the timing of event, but this is the only sub logical theory, that contradicts a few of the established story parts. Could this be the correct theory, sure! But, it is very unlikely.Sorry for rambling on, any feedback would be appreciated. \:D/ :lol:
It would be interesting if it was Eugene...I never thought of that before!
Personally, I am pretty sure that Professor M is Professor Mangle from the Young Whit Books. In the book series, he is showing unusual interest in Young Whit's healing cloth. In addition, in book 1 of the Blackgaard Chronicles (I think, maybe it was 2?), Blackgaard has a piece of paper in a bag with the name 'John Avery Whittaker' at the bottom. This same paper is in the Young Whit Books, in Whit's grandpa's journal. Interestingly enough, above that were the words 'Pearl of great price...long life' (in a different language). It is implied in both book series that the page is referring to the healing cloth that was in a trunk left to young Whit by his grandfather. As was mentioned in the preview of Blackgaard Book 5, Blackgaard says things like, "I am close to proving it" or "You just said some here don't even believe in it!" I bet they're referring to the cloth...or something related to it. Somehow the mineral in the tunnel is connected to the cloth, I'm not sure how. I am enjoying seeing how the Young Whit books and Blackgaard Books are connecting so far :o
Monica Stone wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:55 pm
Skepticism is definitely healthy but I am pretty sold on that being the Chairman. I have a few observations/theories that may show why that the Chairman in chapter 2 was the Chairman:
  • Blackgaard refers to "the Chairman" as "the Chairman." That's so specific & so iconic to the show that this must be "the Chairman" from Novacom. The writers know what they're doing and they wouldn't have two characters both ominously only known as "the Chairman."
  • The C.O.S.U. (The Center of Scientific Understanding) probably invested in the radio waves to brain waves study in the Novacom saga. Although they pulled the funding for the Ruku project because of the collapse of the Soviet Union, the Chairman mentions the C.O.S.U. survive through other investors. Assuming they survived the fiancial crash, they could have thought the potential of legit mind control was worth the investment.
  • The idea of the Chairman being well aware of Odyssey, Whit & possibly Whit's tech through Blackgaard's project would make a ton of sense narratively.
  • The Blackgaard virus in "Blackgaard's Revenge" could actually be tied to the Novacom Saga and could have been a scheme of the Chairman and his henchmen as a pre-cursor to the radio waves/brain waves study.
Your post came up while I was writing this one! :lol:
Very interesting! I'll definitely keep my eye on the Chairman when the book comes out :)
Carl
Caramel Crunch

Monica Stone wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:55 pm

Carl, I think Professor M is a reference to a Professor Mongol (sp?) in the Young Whit books. I haven't read them, but I have watched the Adventures in Odyssey Oddcast reviews of them (I need to buy them lol) and they made that connection.
That completely blanked my mind. The last time I read a Young Whit book was in March. :lol:

MonkeyDude
Cookies & Creme

Oh dang. I've put off reading these for a long time but looks like I might have to pick them up! Do you guys enjoy them?
*Finger guns aggressively*
djchatswithu
Cookies & Creme

Based on what I've seen in the comments, I seriously hope they do a similar book series with Novacom. what if the theory in Eugene's paper was good enough, a copy ended up at the C.O.S.U for them to look at? if the chairman. was involved with C.O.S.U, that could be where he got the idea. however I haven't read the Young Whit books yet, so I don't know if the timeline matches up.
Carl
Caramel Crunch

MonkeyDude wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:33 am
Oh dang. I've put off reading these for a long time but looks like I might have to pick them up! Do you guys enjoy them?
Yes!! I own every one!

Monica Stone
Caramel Crunch

MonkeyDude wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:33 am
I have been thoroughly enjoying them! They take some liberties & flesh out the villains' motivations and backstories (Richard and Glossman's in particular). The books have all the scenes from the audio show but are really cool in that you can read the characters' body language & stuff you wouldn't have been able to hear in the audio episodes. There is so much stuff with the villains that isn't included in the audio show that they never get boring. I'm not even sure where some of the plots are going because some of it has never been seen before.

I know there are supposed to be tie-ins to the Young Whit books, but I've been able to comprehend everything so far without reading them (although I'm sure I'll end up blowing some money on them).
Bren
Cookie Dough
Cookie Dough

If you don't have the books, you are just missing out. I highly reccommend getting them.
MonkeyDude
Cookies & Creme

Cool! Thanks guys, I'll keep that in mind!
*Finger guns aggressively*
Bren
Cookie Dough
Cookie Dough

Focus is having a free shipping sale today, so I just bought the latest blackgaard book
Monica Stone
Caramel Crunch

The time has come. Book #5 has arrived.
Carl
Caramel Crunch

I need to order it!

Carl
Caramel Crunch

Monica Stone wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:56 pm
The time has come. Book #5 has arrived.
Image doesn't work? Anyway I need to order it! Now I can't wait for Young Whit #4 in April!

djchatswithu
Cookies & Creme

Bren wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:43 pm
If you don't have the books, you are just missing out. I highly reccommend getting them.
Bought the first one yesterday while I was getting Book 5 of the Blackguaard series. can't wait to get a chance to start reading it!