The Ongoing Stories & Characters

The Front Counter is the main place for general Adventures in Odyssey discussions. Grab a Loc-Kno-Stra-Mal, and talk it up!
Monica Stone
Caramel Crunch

The Ongoing Stories & Characters

Odyssey has a ton of ongoing character arcs and stories. Many episodes can be grouped into one category or another according to the characters featured and their arcs. Allow me to summarize:
  • The Rydell Saga
  • Jules Kendall's character arc and her search for belonging
  • Buck and/or the Meltsner family as an entire entity (which often intersects with Jules's arc)
  • The Perkins family episodes
  • Jillian Marshall episodes
  • Renee Carter's arc
  • Wooton and Penny I guess
These are what I consider to be the main "categories" that episodes fall into. I categorize them in this way because they all seem to be building to something. The Rydell Saga has obviously been building and album 69 was pretty much the end of not a book, but a chapter. And then, we have Jules's character arc which will predictibly build into a salvation arc (probably in ten years at this rate). The same goes for Buck. While the Meltsners have really been pushed to the side, their story isn't over. And the Perkins family episodes often build upon each other and feel pretty niche. The last three "categories" are self-explanatory. I wasn't sure whether to add Wooton and Penny to the list because their episodes have become more rare. If you observe the past several albums, most of them are filled almost exclusively with these episodes with the exception an oddball here and there.

What are your thoughts on the ongoing characters and stories are your favorite? Which do you think need more or less focus? Are the episodes, as enjoyable as they may be, becoming too disparate and disconnected making the show feel too disjointed? Or do you feel the contrary? Discuss!
Be the reason someone smiles today.
ASmouseInTheHouse
Cookies & Creme

At the moment, I'm pretty happy with Jules' arc, Buck's arc, the Perkins episodes, and perhaps even Renee Carter. The thing I don't like about her arc is the fact that it's Club-Exclusive, but oh well :o
I remember during albums 59-60-61-63-64 I was actually a bit annoyed with the number Wooton and Penny episodes, but we had a break in 65 and they had two episodes in 66. To be honest, I didn't like them in Same Mold Story. And of course, they were in Album 68. I did like A Wise Surprise. I am interested in seeing if the team will actually start an ongoing conflict/plot with them...
Jules' arc has been pretty inconsistent compared to Buck's. Buck had been in every single album since 58 until 68, where he did not appear (it would have been a ten album streak! :boohoo: ). Whereas Jules skipped 64 and 65, jumped in 66 and finally reappeared in 69 as a major part of the album. Their arcs are going slow, but steady. I'm looking forward to what comes with them.
"Next up, Mark Morgan's message to all math maniacs in the middle school is meaningful if you mingle by the mezzanine for a momentous mix of methodological mayhem and a menagerie of multiplicative inversions. Ha ha ha! I bet I could say this backwards. Inversions multiplicative of menagerie a and mayhem methodological..."
Polehaus53
Cookies & Creme

The one I'm most invested in is The Rydell Saga. I am also enjoying the Renee Carter episodes. I feel like we haven't been getting much of Wooton and Penny recently. Sure, they both appeared together in album 64, made an appearance in album 66, and then had an episode in album 68, but I'd still like to hear more from them. I am also looking forward to more Buck/Meltsner family episodes. I am also extremely interested in what the AIO team is planning for future Jillian Marshall episodes.
-Signed, PolehausFifty-three

Member of The Emily Rules Klub (est. 2012)

“We have it translated in every language: (กฎของเอมิลี่, Emily es la mejor, 艾米莉规则, Emily Quy tắc!, エミリーは最高です, emilyyay ulesray!, Эмили Правила!, Emily é a melhor, एमिली नियम!, Emily est la meilleure!, إميلي هي الأفضل!, Emily Kuralları!, אמילי שולטת!, Emily Regeln!, 에밀리 담당!, Si Emily ang pinakamahusay!, എമിലി രാജ്ഞിയാണ്!, એમિલી નિયમો!) that Emily RULES!”~The E.R.K.