AIO Club VS Radio

The Front Counter is the main place for general Adventures in Odyssey discussions. Grab a Loc-Kno-Stra-Mal, and talk it up!

How do you listen to AIO these days?

Radio
17%
Club
56%
CDs/tapes
28%

Total votes: 18

Bren
Cookie Dough
Cookie Dough

AIO Club VS Radio

A lot has changed over the years in how we listen to AIO. When I joined The ToO in 2008, there was all kinds of excitement when new episodes would be uploaded to OnePlace.com days prior to the Saturday release and we could listen early. These days, many of us have the club and can listen to albums months in advance. Which has made me wonder if people still pay attention to the radio broadcast. If you listen to new episodes on the club, do you relisten to the radio debut?

Personally, I can't tell you the last time I heard AIO on the radio. I have the club and couldn't ask for much more.
ASmouseInTheHouse
Cookies & Creme

I only got the Club while Album 68 was being released on it, so for the past four years of listening to AIO, it has been on the radio.
One of the most annoying things about new albums being released on the club early is spoilers for those who don't have it. Since most people on the message boards have the Club, I had to avoid all pages relating to the new episodes. Sometimes, spoilers popped up in most unexpected places and I was taken by surprise, in more ways than one. I remember when The Long End came out on the club. By the time I heard it on the radio, it was old news to everyone.

Another thing that is inconvenient is cut lines. I understand when unnecessary lines are cut, but too often lines that are important to the plot are cut. I heard The Ties That Bind when it aired, and at the end of it, I had a lot of unanswered questions. I re-heard the Album in the club and was shocked at how many lines (and sometimes entire scenes) were cut from the broadcast version. I had no questions at the end of that. The Long End is another example. Lines from the scene between Buck and Jules in part 2 were cut, the parts where Buck puts the pieces together about who his parents were. A line Mr. Skint says about kidnapping Buck. Each of those lines more important to the plot than perhaps, "Rust never sleeps".

And in general, the inconvenience of wanting to hear an episode which isn't going to air until next year or later that year. The Club is amazing, but I feel for those who don't have it. It's not fun.
"Next up, Mark Morgan's message to all math maniacs in the middle school is meaningful if you mingle by the mezzanine for a momentous mix of methodological mayhem and a menagerie of multiplicative inversions. Ha ha ha! I bet I could say this backwards. Inversions multiplicative of menagerie a and mayhem methodological..."
Peachey Keen
Caramel Crunch

My main source of listening to AIO is from my personal digital library. I use Google Play Music's cloud locker to hear all the episodes I own. I use the Club mainly for new episodes and episodes I don't own. On a very rare occasion, I might hear the show on the radio. But, since I don't listen to the radio much at all, this is the least used method for me.
Bananareader
Caramel Crunch

I listen to Adventures in Odyssey on Cd or tape because we own a lot of them, but I also listen to the new episodes that are being aired on the Radio or on the Adventures in Odyssey website. that I don’t own. I only free trial of the Adventures in Odyssey Club to listen to exclusive AIO episodes I am interested in.
Bananareader
Caramel Crunch

ASmouseInTheHouse wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:00 pm
I only got the Club while Album 68 was being released on it, so for the past four years of listening to AIO, it has been on the radio.
One of the most annoying things about new albums being released on the club early is spoilers for those who don't have it. Since most people on the message boards have the Club, I had to avoid all pages relating to the new episodes. Sometimes, spoilers popped up in most unexpected places and I was taken by surprise, in more ways than one. I remember when The Long End came out on the club. By the time I heard it on the radio, it was old news to everyone.

Another thing that is inconvenient is cut lines. I understand when unnecessary lines are cut, but too often lines that are important to the plot are cut. I heard The Ties That Bind when it aired, and at the end of it, I had a lot of unanswered questions. I re-heard the Album in the club and was shocked at how many lines (and sometimes entire scenes) were cut from the broadcast version. I had no questions at the end of that. The Long End is another example. Lines from the scene between Buck and Jules in part 2 were cut, the parts where Buck puts the pieces together about who his parents were. A line Mr. Skint says about kidnapping Buck. Each of those lines more important to the plot than perhaps, "Rust never sleeps".

And in general, the inconvenience of wanting to hear an episode which isn't going to air until next year or later that year. The Club is amazing, but I feel for those who don't have it. It's not fun.
I also dislike spoilers for episodes I haven’t heard, The CD albums also have the cut lines which I hadn’t thought about, until you mentioned it,now I want to compare the radio episodes to the cd versions. I just found out according to the. Version differences page on AIO Wiki that some of the Cassette Tape albums have cut scenes or lines.