Disagreeing With Odyssey

The Front Counter is the main place for general Adventures in Odyssey discussions. Grab a Loc-Kno-Stra-Mal, and talk it up!
shnoodlec.
Fudge Marble

Disagreeing With Odyssey

So, Odyssey and Focus have some strong opinions. We can conclude that they are against gay marriage, the theory of evolution, and probably some others I missed. Are there any other controversial things AiO had an opinion on that I missed?
High wellborn Lady shnoodlec Knight of the Order of Augustine, formally known as Queen of the Monkeys. Q&A thread HERE. "SHNOOD IS THE OLDBIE NEWBIE AND SHE IS THE ONLY ONE WHO GETS THAT TITLE" - Belle
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Three words: "Castles and Cauldrons". Seriously, what were they thinking? If you ask me, those episodes probably made Focus look more unreasonable than they did shed any light on how role-playing games actually work.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

Oh, yes. I forgot about C&C.
Gooey98
Raspberry Ripple

Yeah, that episode never made any sense. It made it sound like role-playing games involve summoning demons...
I don't know for sure that Focus (and AIO) has consistently held the same views over the years.
My David Crowder*Band website: http://dcbplus.weebly.com
My YouTube: http://youtube.com/WillLocatelli
My gaming YouTube: http://youtube.com/KingGrahamGaming
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

Role playing games = summon a devil and wreck your family.

Makes total sense.

I would have preferred they make it more like a cautionary tale, maybe about games in general, about getting sucked into a game so much that you lose focus on what's actually important.
Novatom
Raspberry Ripple

I actually think that in Castles and Cauldrons they made me want to play role-playing games. Really, they made it appear somewhat fun to me, until they got into the camping scene; that scared me.
17:39<Novatom>: I'm in another boat. A boat of people who don't know what everyone's talking about. A boat that is sinking.
17:40<Sameriazx>: oh no... here we go again...
Rosy
Cookie Dough

As a child, Castles and Cauldrons confused and scared me to no end. I mean, what kid doesn't pretend they're someone else in another world? What on earth is wrong with make-believe?
On one end you've got Whit and the Imagination Station, saying using your imagination is great thing and you can use it to go anywhere.
Then on the other Whit also saying pretending you're someone else from another world is evil and of the devil.
????
꿈. 희망. 전진.
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

Castles and Cauldrons was a pretty great episode on its own terms, but it's true that it was slightly ridiculous, and, from what I hear about actual role-playing games, untrue.

I disagree with the message in What Are We Going To Do About Halloween?, for reasons I've already stated in the Halloween topic. Also, I heard You Go To School Where? on the Official Podcast, and it was completely ridiculous as well, but then again, the writers already apologized for that. I think I agree with the moral in Wooton's Broken Pencil Show, but it was conveyed in such a bad way that I barely know what the moral is. It was supposedly "Should entertainment have a point?" but then they didn't even answer their own question, or if they did, their way of answering was too oblique for me. Other than those four, I can't think of a time when I've strongly disagreed with AIO on the moral side of things.
Last edited by ArnoldtheRubberDucky on Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
Novatom
Raspberry Ripple

Yes, and while the sagas were entertaining, their messages were still very blurry. A lot of times, even after listening to Chris's wrap-up when she would explain things, I would still be asking myself, "what did I learn? What was the message?"
17:39<Novatom>: I'm in another boat. A boat of people who don't know what everyone's talking about. A boat that is sinking.
17:40<Sameriazx>: oh no... here we go again...
HomeschoolCowgirl
Peach Cobbler

Yah I agree about You go to school where.
They admitted that they have many homeschooled staff members. Some teamwork, maybe?
"Musical training is a more potent instrument than any other, for rhythm and harmony find their way into the inner places of the soul... making the soul of one who is rightly educated, graceful" -- Socrates
Blitz
Moose Tracks

ArnoldtheRubberDucky wrote:Castles and Cauldrons was a pretty great episode on its own terms, but it's true that it was slightly ridiculous, and, from what I hear about actual role-playing games, untrue.
That depends on which RPG. Most of those kind of RPG's have gone out now though.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

What the episode in question described is known as "LARPing"—Live Action Role Playing. LARPers are considered pretty weird even by RPer standards, but they're no more likely to get involved in the occult than anyone else who does RPGs. Had the episode discussed the problems with being consumed with gaming in general, it would have been fine, but to warn parents against the evils of RPGs because they apparently lead into the occult simply proves that the writers did not do the research...or that they researched from a Chick Tract (same thing, but still).
HomeschoolCowgirl
Peach Cobbler

Was the episode supposed to be about the game Dungeons and Dragons?
"Musical training is a more potent instrument than any other, for rhythm and harmony find their way into the inner places of the soul... making the soul of one who is rightly educated, graceful" -- Socrates
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Just look at the title: "Castles and Cauldrons". The alliterative "X & Y" fantasy-based title is a very clear reference.
Blitz
Moose Tracks

underseasie wrote:As a child, Castles and Cauldrons confused and scared me to no end. I mean, what kid doesn't pretend they're someone else in another world? What on earth is wrong with make-believe?
On one end you've got Whit and the Imagination Station, saying using your imagination is great thing and you can use it to go anywhere.
Then on the other Whit also saying pretending you're someone else from another world is evil and of the devil.
????
This is entirely different. Imagination is one thing. Messing with the Occult is another.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Whether or not RPGs even get into the occult is the crux of the debate in the first place.
Baron von Odyssey
Cookies & Creme

Pretty much the only things I disagree with Adventures in Odyssey about is the American War for Independence. But otherwise, I rarely disagree with them.
"Greetings. Name's Baron Von Odyssey. My card."
(Card: [Baron von Odyssey - writer, book lover, fairytale enthusiast, and AIO fan])
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My posts are awesome! You wanna know why?
BECAUSE I'M BATMAN!!
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Baron von Odyssey wrote:Pretty much the only things I disagree with Adventures in Odyssey about is the American War for Independence. But otherwise, I rarely disagree with them.
You believe that war was a wrong thing?
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
jehoshaphat
Cookies & Creme

I disagree with them on a couple of things including some of things mentioned above, such as Evolution and part of Castles and Cauldrons. Another thing I disagree with them on is their opinion on man being completely or intrinsically evil.
Woody
Cookies & Creme

I would say I disagree with Odyssey on a few counts, one of them being Castles and Cauldrons, as many have already mentioned. I'm also quick to distance myself from the entirety of "The Ties That Bind", not because I disagree with their base argument (as I do believe gay marriage is wrong), but because the argument was so poorly made and the representatives of the opposing viewpoint very, very unrealistic.

"You'll never be far, I'm keeping you near, inside of my heart, you're here." ~Owl City, Gold