Saga Debate Thread

The Front Counter is the main place for general Adventures in Odyssey discussions. Grab a Loc-Kno-Stra-Mal, and talk it up!
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

Saga Debate Thread

Welcome to the "Novacom Is Actually Not Quite As Awesome As People Act Like It Is And GRC Is Way Awesomer Than People Act Like It Is" Klub.

Recently, when posting in a topic about GRC vs. Novacom, a seemingly closed issue, I realized that, in my opinion, GRC is ridiculously underrated and Novacom, while still pretty good in general, is often overrated by fans. I expected a response, but I got none. So I was wondering if anyone shared my thoughts and would like to join this klub. It won't be quite as big as ERK or KRE, but we'll see if someone starts a rival klub and where it goes from there. You don't have to absolutely hate Novacom to join: I myself adore many Novacom episodes and do not dwell on the few flaws when I'm listening to it. The only belief I'm requiring for membership is that GRC is at least a little bit more focused and structured than Novacom. If I don't get any members within the next month or so, I'll probably delete the topic and assume I'm the only one in the world who thinks this, but I'd like to see your opinion on it.

[Belle ETA:
This is now being converted into the debate thread for all sagas, enjoy!]
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
Wretched Sinner
Lemon Meringue

I think both Novacom and GRC are way to overrated.

Blackgaurd saga and the Search For Eugene's Father saga are the best.
Connie G.
Peach Cobbler

ok, I think GRC is ok, but, come on, which is more awesome:

Counterfeiter ring lead by an art Dr.
Company that is trying to take over the world by controlling people's brains
PS: if by saying GRC you are including the Labyrinth, then yes, it is cool too. BUT only because they are trying to kill the President, Prime Minister, and other important officials with some frozen gasses in some old crates. THAT is cool

PPS: WS: it's Blackgaard, not with a U. I know, I know. that's how it appears in autocorrect. It reminds you in 'the merchant of odyssey'. Bart is trying to spell Edwin's name on a contract
Strength for today, and bright hope for tomorrow.

"Why does Connie shower all of the time?" ~CGM_Games
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

This is a marvelous idea. Like you said, if GRC is better than Nova Come, than only just barely. Still, people sometimes act like Nova Com is the end-all grand standard of AIO, and it just isn't. It was well done and huge project that could've been disastrous and instead rocked, and had Connie's relationship with Mitch was touching. But The Green Ring Conspiracy, with it's jokes, tight plot, and colorful characters is just more my thing.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
GratiaDei
Cookies & Creme

I am joining this club. I agree that it seems like Novacom holds this sentimental place in Odyssians' hearts, but I think the Green Ring Conspiracy is quite a bit better than Novacom. Novacom was this sprawling albums long saga, that basically consumed Odyssey for a time. I thought the Green Ring Conspiracy was clearer and more believable.
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

I must also chime in that I much prefer Novacom to the GRC, even though I certainly prefer the GRC over other sagas, such as the Applesauce saga, and The Ties That Bind.
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
Blitz
Moose Tracks

Novacom was much more thought out in my opinion than GRC. It is the pinnacle for most Odysseians because of it's impressive plot. It touched base on many important thing that Odyssey for the most part never uses. I have listened to it multiple times, and it outclasses most everything. Novacom is especially loved for it's most intriguing and exciting areas.
The Blackguard saga is my next favorite. It explored Mr. Whittacker and Jason's out of Odyssey life. It had some Odyssey changing episodes like The Time has Come etc.
Now GRC is my least favorite saga. It has way to much cheesy humor and rarely if ever got serious. Of course, the newer generation of Oddesians who mostly do not know the older episodes find it much more intriguing and some, very few of the older listens find it of great quality. It wasn't horrible nor was it the best.
I am still undecided on the Ties that Bind.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
Emma
Peach Cobbler

I can't find the album that Novacom is in! Aughh! Someone help me! I can't decide which one.
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

It is actually spread throughout Albums 35-38, unless you have the Novacom boxed set.
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

Blitz wrote:Novacom was much more thought out in my opinion than GRC. It is the pinnacle for most Odysseians because of it's impressive plot. It touched base on many important thing that Odyssey for the most part never uses. I have listened to it multiple times, and it outclasses most everything. Novacom is especially loved for it's most intriguing and exciting areas.
The Blackguard saga is my next favorite. It explored Mr. Whittacker and Jason's out of Odyssey life. It had some Odyssey changing episodes like The Time has Come etc.
Now GRC is my least favorite saga. It has way to much cheesy humor and rarely if ever got serious. Of course, the newer generation of Oddesians who mostly do not know the older episodes find it much more intriguing and some, very few of the older listens find it of great quality. It wasn't horrible nor was it the best.
I am still undecided on the Ties that Bind.
I think that most of us can agree on the simple fact that Novacom was the "coolest" and "most intriguing" saga. Everything was extremely dramatized to great effect. So, I agree with your last sentence regarding Novacom. And perhaps I'm looking at this argument too much from a film critic's perspective. But I wonder which saga is more satisfying, the satisfaction not being based on the excitement along the way but what the excitement was leading up to. And I have to say that, at least for me, GRC had a better ending. Was it anticlimatic? Maybe to some, but, once again at least for me, Novacom's ending was far more anticlimatic, for reasons that I already expressed in the GRC vs. Novacom topic.

Also, to say that Novacom was "much more thought out" than GRC is like saying that a King's Size Snickers Bar is "more thought out" than a Ghiradelli's chocolate square. (I'll pause for my somewhat ridiculous analogy to sink in, and, just in case you didn't understand as I probably wouldn't have, I'll put a footnote at the bottom).

I would also greatly appreciate it if, for the sake of this debate, everyone would look at this argument from a film critic's perspective. Because, you can talk all you want about how "intriguing" or "exciting" Novacom is. And you win in that regard. Mind control is obviously a heck of a lot more intriguing that counterfeit money. But I feel that if we keep focusing on how entertaining Novacom is over GRC, we will get nowhere. We should focus instead on the overall quality of both sagas. I realize it's a lot to ask, but I think it'll help us out when arguing.

What I meant was that, even though a King Size Snicker's Bar is bigger (or longer in length, in the case of Novacom vs. GRC) and more filling, most of us can agree that a Ghiradelli's chocolate square, though small and perhaps not as filling, is higher quality chocolate. And that's the same way I feel Novacom and GRC. I get the sense that you're saying that Novacom is "more thought out" because it's longer, or maybe more complicated. But, (according the The Official Guide, at least) Novacom's ending was not even decided on until after Countermoves was released. GRC was planned long in advance and had tighter plotting (This is a point you can't argue with. Whether you prefer Novacom or GRC, you can't argue about which one managed to get more story in less time.) than the occasionally meandering (even if the meandering was sometimes just as entertaining as the beef) Novacom.
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Why does Mr. Thinker like GRC more than Novacom? GRC has his least favorite chracter, Emily, while Novacom has his favorite character, Alex Jefferson.
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

Mr. Thinker has changed his mind.
Wakko
Pistachio

And why did you change your mind?
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Mr. Thinker probably changed his mind under the influence of agitated insanity brought about by people arbitrarily referring to him in the third person. ;)
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Blitz
Moose Tracks

Hehe. Anyway, Novacom's ending wasn't anti-climatic. The ending was perfect. It built up then wrapped up perfectly in my opinion.
GRC had a horrible ending. They rushed it way too much. I felt no closure not even in the Labyrinth.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
Emma
Peach Cobbler

The Old Judge wrote:It is actually spread throughout Albums 35-38, unless you have the Novacom boxed set.
I should get that. I officially like NOVACOM better.
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

My decision will be made next year. I'll listen to GRC in FAIO, and Novacom on December and January.
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

I want to revive this topic, since it went nowhere after Belle integrated all the klubs. :evil: So, somebody say something about how the Novacom Saga is better than GRC so I can refute all their statements.
Gooey98
Raspberry Ripple

The Novacom Saga is better than the GRC. Novacom is longer, and has a more integrated story arc.
My David Crowder*Band website: http://dcbplus.weebly.com
My YouTube: http://youtube.com/WillLocatelli
My gaming YouTube: http://youtube.com/KingGrahamGaming
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

Longer doesn't mean better. By that logic, The Twilight Saga would have to be better than the Gospel of John. (Poor analogy, I know.) Please explain what you mean by "integrated story arch".