Movies

The Front Counter is the main place for general Adventures in Odyssey discussions. Grab a Loc-Kno-Stra-Mal, and talk it up!

What would be a cooler movie?

The Green Ring Conspiracy
16%
The Blackgaard Saga
17%
Jason's Adventures
7%
Eugene's Search for his Dad
6%
Bernard and Eugene's Roadtrip
5%
All of Album 57
1%
All of Album 54
1%
All of Album 52
No votes
All of Album 51
No votes
Wooton's Crazyness
1%
The Truth Chronicles
No votes
Kidsboro
12%
Camp-what-a-nut
2%
The Novacom Saga
18%
Putting a new Whits End in Oswald Heights
1%
For Whom the Wedding Bells Toll
5%
BTV
3%
All of Album 48
2%
The Triangled Web, Part 1
3%
Captain Absolutely
2%

Total votes: 109

I<3ODYSSEY
Vanilla

Movies

Wouldn't it be fun to make a Green Ring Movie and/or The Blackgaard Saga either animated or (what would be cooler) real life. I don't know who would play the parts, or how we would record it. If you have any ideas please put them here.

Thanks!!!!
I<3ODYSSEY
:jason :jason
Thorin Oakeshield
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Wow, that is quite a poll, lover. It was fun just reading that many options and imagining them all as a movie.

For whatever reason, it seems GRC would do best animated.. GRC has a lot of cartoony elements, what with it starring Wooton and Penny with Emily and Matthew and Eugene. Though Katrina, and Whit calm things down a bit. It's all rather whimsical and colorful and would do quite well as a cartoon.

Nova Com would seem more believable and the tragic moments more serious if it were live action.

The Blackgaard Chronicles would demand live action. It would be cool to have a real special affects Whit's End explosion, a real fire in Blackgaard's Castle, a real Doctor Blackgaard (not an animated one with an enormous chin and purple scepter, thank you very much.) Andy Serkis would be perfect for that. That will seem rather odd to you if the first thing that comes to mind is Blackgaard rushing about hissing, "My Precious." But you if think of his Capricorn in Inkheart or his Screwtape, he seems ideal.
Last edited by Pound Foolish on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Wakko
Pistachio

Pound Foolish wrote:Andy Serkis would be perfect for that. That will seem rather odd to you if the first thing that comes to mind is Blackgaard rushing about hissing, "My Precious." But if think of his Capricorn in Inkheart or his Screwtape, he seems ideal.
I've read through the other AIO movie thread, but this is the best casting option I've ever heard. Andy Serkis would be an amazing choice for Dr. Blackgaard.
Blitz
Moose Tracks

Also if they were to make a movie, naturally they would add more violence etc.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
Rosy
Cookie Dough

Blitz wrote:Also if they were to make a movie, naturally they would add more violence etc.
What? Unless AiO somehow lost control of the script/story, no way would they make a violent movie! I'm not saying it would be all sunshine and rainbows, but I strongly disagree with the idea that Focus on the Family would take an episode of AiO and extra add violence to it, just to make a more "interesting" movie.
꿈. 희망. 전진.
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

I do wish they'd make a movie. I've always envisioned the sagas as a movie, although it would be weird seeing the characters as different actors with different voices.
I also think Jason's adventures and Eugene's search for his father would make good movies--the more intense stories the better IMO! Of course, I don't think that they'd add more violence; the sagas are already pretty intense, and just putting it onscreen would make the action more visual--see the explosions, etc, although I don't think they'd get too graphic, considering the target audience. Probably not more than a PG.

My book, Justice Lost, is on Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JM1XFCI
Helios
Butter Pecan

Personally, I think it'd only seem more violent because you see and hear, not just hear, the violent actions. Hearing Monty get whacked over the head for the umpteenth time isn't quite the same as actually seeing it happen. :P In other words, I 'gree with 'Meraka. I highly doubt any of the movies would be PG-13.

On another note, Andy Serkis as Blackgaard sounds like a good pic...except I think his eyes are too big. The Dr. needs more slanted eyes to enhance his diabolical nature. But just my opinion. :D
HomeschoolCowgirl
Peach Cobbler

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA03424C776CB9316
!!!!!
Of course, these are not movies, but I must say this girl is VERY talented!
And, on a whim, my sister and I made a list of people we know that would be Perfect to play Odyssey characters.
However it does include ME playing Monica, and my sister playing Robyn.
Possibly I'm playing Monica because Tasha is already cast, and I want to play opposite Jason...
Last edited by HomeschoolCowgirl on Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Musical training is a more potent instrument than any other, for rhythm and harmony find their way into the inner places of the soul... making the soul of one who is rightly educated, graceful" -- Socrates
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

@HomeschoolCowgirl: So, is the person making the "movies" the one who started this topic, and, if so, how many of these shows are there?
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)
HomeschoolCowgirl
Peach Cobbler

I don't know if she's on here, I found her vids by accident
"Musical training is a more potent instrument than any other, for rhythm and harmony find their way into the inner places of the soul... making the soul of one who is rightly educated, graceful" -- Socrates
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

I think that the Blackgaard and Novacom sagas would do well as animated movies—not the rather poorly animated videos we all know and...are iffy about, but well-thought out, legitimately planned, painstaking animation with real attention and care paid to it. You wouldn't have to cartoonishly exaggerate the characters to make them look intimidating or cool; it could be a more subtle art style, like the album covers done before Gary Locke took over (i.e. the original Darkness Before Dawn cover). The best part would be that we'd still be able to hear the familiar voices of the characters because they wouldn't have to record anything new.

Re: the violence, Novacom and Blackgaard don't need to be made more violent. As far as AIO is concerned, those sagas are intimidating by the sole fact of having a body count.
Pound Foolish wrote:Nova Com would seem more believable and the tragic moments more serious if it were live action.
Tragic moments don't become less tragic just because they're drawn out rather than filmed. ;) I'd say that movies like Tangled, Frozen, HTTYD, and (spoiler alert!) HTTYD2 have done better jobs of portraying legitimately upsetting scenes than plenty of movies filmed live-action. In the right hands, any episode of AIO could make a beautiful animated movie without losing the charm of the original show.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

TigerShadow wrote:You wouldn't have to cartoonishly exaggerate the characters to make them look intimidating or cool; it could be a more subtle art style, like the album covers done before Gary Locke took over (i.e. the original Darkness Before Dawn cover).
Are you saying you don't like the new Darkness Before Dawn cover, with Regis' overly-large head, excessively pointed chin, dramatic cane with an amethyst globe, and streaks of gray and black in his hair that are as wide as a two-lane road? ;)
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Ah! How could I forget the inherent DRAMA and intimidating aura that comes when you look like a flamboyantly opulant human skunk? ;)
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

TigerShadow wrote:I think that the Blackgaard and Novacom sagas would do well as animated movies—not the rather poorly animated videos we all know and...are iffy about, but well-thought out, legitimately planned, painstaking animation with real attention and care paid to it. You wouldn't have to cartoonishly exaggerate the characters to make them look intimidating or cool; it could be a more subtle art style, like the album covers done before Gary Locke took over (i.e. the original Darkness Before Dawn cover).
Amen.

Off of the top of my head, The Green Ring Conspiracy could make a fairly good movie. It would stand alone better than a Blackgaard movie would, requiring a lot less backstory and explanation. Like Pound Foolish said, it is a little more lighthearted in nature, and this would help Focus on the Family reach their primary audience.
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

T.S. (myself) wrote:It would stand alone better than a Blackgaard movie would, requiring a lot less backstory and explanation.
Yeah, I think the Blackgaard saga (and probably Novacom saga, too) would work better as a TV series rather than an actual movie, though you'd have to incorporate many non-Blackgaard episodes to get more context for episodes like "The Time Has Come" and "Under the Influence".

Additionally, I just saw a close-up of the picture of Blackgaard from the new release of DBD, and he's pouting.

He is literally pouting.

It's gone from "Whit's End will be mine -menacing evil laugh-" to "Phooey, those meanie people at Whit's End are such poopy-heads!" -sulk-

...Yeah, we need the old cover art.
NateVONgreat
Cookies & Creme

I agree, we need the old art, it is so nice, and full of detail, and personality.

They should totally make a Captain Absolutely movie similar to the old Batman movies, old funny wacky cartoon, kinda stuff. XD
That would be great.

Sandwiches are wonderful
Sandwiches are fine!
I like sandwiches, I eat them all the time!
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Or maybe told in animated shorts, a la Looney Tunes, since Wooton's style of storytelling probably would fit best in a series of shorts—or maybe something like The Powerpuff Girls—A episode, B episode format, and in that similar wacky, comedic style of animation and storytelling.
Novatom
Raspberry Ripple

Kidsboro would be cool in a movie. I'd like to see how all the little houses looked.
17:39<Novatom>: I'm in another boat. A boat of people who don't know what everyone's talking about. A boat that is sinking.
17:40<Sameriazx>: oh no... here we go again...
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

Hmm... you know, it may seem a little odd at first, but I actually think that Eugene and Bernard's Road Trip would make a pretty great buddy movie. Especially imagining them coming home at the end to discover Whit is gone. :(. Perhaps if they just did "First-Hand Experience" through "Gone...", and shortened the episodes in between a bit, it would work as a two-hour movie. Whoah, my brain is reeling right now. Let's see, Jim Carey could play Eugene and Bill Murray could play Bernard. Brad Bird would direct it, and... Never mind, it's never gonna happen anyway. :(
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
Wakko
Pistachio

ArnoldtheRubberDucky wrote:Let's see, Jim Carey could play Eugene and Bill Murray could play Bernard. Brad Bird would direct it, and... Never mind, it's never gonna happen anyway. :(
That's some amazing casting. \:D/