Odyssey Conundrums

The Front Counter is the main place for general Adventures in Odyssey discussions. Grab a Loc-Kno-Stra-Mal, and talk it up!
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

How much does Whit weigh?
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)
Wakko
Pistachio

He used to weigh about 450 pounds. Then AIO goes a way on hiatus. BAM! Whit lost 300 pounds.
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

*chortle* Well put, Bobby.

Before he got his haircut, how could Eugene see?

How can a dead gold fish talk?

How come every time Whit puts a "keep out" sign on the IS, someone goes in? And how come so often they say something like, "I've never been on the IS." How can there be a free time traveling machine in town without everyone riding on it a zillion times before they're five? And how come the kids don't ever tell their parents, "I went on this thing, and I thought it'd be fun, but I saw people being tortured and killed, ended up running for my life, and got whipped and kidnapped and almost killed! It's not real, but it's very scary and physically painful I don't mind telling you."
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
NateVONgreat
Cookies & Creme

the Gold fish was talking as a narrator that knows everything, I don't know what this is called in english, but in literature, when the person telling the story is all knowing.

Sandwiches are wonderful
Sandwiches are fine!
I like sandwiches, I eat them all the time!
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

What would happen if the nitrogen levels in the atmosphere were 3% instead of 4%?
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)
HomeschoolCowgirl
Peach Cobbler

Okay, here's for you great ears: What is it that Eugene says in "For Better or for Worse":
E: Don't worry, I'm being exceptionally cautious!"
*tire blows*
E: Then again, caution is not always completely _______"
It sounds like "cataclid" but Google has never heard of that word and substitutes "cataclysm".
"Musical training is a more potent instrument than any other, for rhythm and harmony find their way into the inner places of the soul... making the soul of one who is rightly educated, graceful" -- Socrates
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

How does Whit still have clearance? O_o
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

SirWhit wrote:How does Whit still have clearance? O_o
Yeah, as an older person, he should have shrunk in height by now.
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
Blitz
Moose Tracks

Not everyone does. I know a few people who haven't shrunk, but they were all in good shape.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
AIOrocks101
Strawberry

HomeschoolCowgirl wrote:Okay, here's for you great ears: What is it that Eugene says in "For Better or for Worse":
E: Don't worry, I'm being exceptionally cautious!"
*tire blows*
E: Then again, caution is not always completely _______"
It sounds like "cataclid" but Google has never heard of that word and substitutes "cataclysm".
Eugene says "Then again, caution is not always entirely adequate."
HomeschoolCowgirl
Peach Cobbler

Ah. OK.
Thanks AIOrocks101!
"Musical training is a more potent instrument than any other, for rhythm and harmony find their way into the inner places of the soul... making the soul of one who is rightly educated, graceful" -- Socrates
Novatom
Raspberry Ripple

In A Touch of Healing, it is said that a kid born blind can't imagine seeing and therefore can't see in the Imagination Station. But how can someone who has never heard a certain Bible story experience it, though they don't know the story and would therefore be incapable of imagining it? How come when two people go into the Imagination Station together, it is the same for both of them, though it should be different because they have different imaginations? How come in Back to Bethlehem, the Christmas story wasn't how Connie imagined it?
17:39<Novatom>: I'm in another boat. A boat of people who don't know what everyone's talking about. A boat that is sinking.
17:40<Sameriazx>: oh no... here we go again...
Mickey
Peach Cobbler

I never thought of that but that is interesting!
Proud K.R.E Member
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

Novatom wrote:In A Touch of Healing, it is said that a kid born blind can't imagine seeing and therefore can't see in the Imagination Station. But how can someone who has never heard a certain Bible story experience it, though they don't know the story and would therefore be incapable of imagining it? How come when two people go into the Imagination Station together, it is the same for both of them, though it should be different because they have different imaginations? How come in Back to Bethlehem, the Christmas story wasn't how Connie imagined it?
I believe (though any of you all who know much more than me can disagree) that it would come down to programming. Now, I am not a computer whiz; never will be, most likely. But in my own thought process, one could program it to do follow a basic framework, with peripheral or optional alternate storylines based upon the imagination of the user who is in there. For your Back to Bethlehem quandary, I would propose that perhaps a conglomeration of thoughts from both Connie and Eugene's imaginations were used for that specific adventure; or that Whit scanned in one of his many short stories to be used for the program.

Helen Kane's famous hit. (If it helps, she was known as the Boop-A-Doop Girl.) (1928)
HomeschoolCowgirl
Peach Cobbler

In "A name not a number" Blackgaard said the syringe with which Mustafa stabbed him contained just a mixture of vitamins; however, in the Darkness before Dawn series he says it was a less-powerful version of Ruku. He wouldn't have "died" from the vitamin mixture and I'm sure Jason as a trained agent knows how to tell if someone's dead or not. I mean, one can only hold one's breath for so long and can certainly not stop one's own heartbeat (and therefore, pulse).
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

HomeschoolCowgirl wrote: He wouldn't have "died" from the vitamin mixture and I'm sure Jason as a trained agent knows how to tell if someone's dead or not. I mean, one can only hold one's breath for so long and can certainly not stop one's own heartbeat (and therefore, pulse).
Can you stop your heart? No. But you can shove a rubber ball under your arm to make it appear as you don't have any pulse.

This is demonstrated in Sherlock (spoilers ahead)
John confirms that Sherlock is dead. and he's a doctor, and Sherlock isn't actually dead.
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Additionally, nowhere in "The Final Conflict" does Regis actually state that Mustafa stabbed him with a needle full of Ruku; his exact words were "It seems that somewhere along the line I was exposed to a strain of it". We are not told that Blackgaard contracted the Ruku from that particular incident; just because that is one way that he could have been exposed to it doesn't mean that it is the only way.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

How in the world are they going to get Eugene on a cruise ship? He's the last person I can imagine faring well at sea.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Baron von Odyssey
Cookies & Creme

Pound Foolish wrote:
How come every time Whit puts a "keep out" sign on the IS, someone goes in? And how come so often they say something like, "I've never been on the IS." How can there be a free time traveling machine in town without everyone riding on it a zillion times before they're five? And how come the kids don't ever tell their parents, "I went on this thing, and I thought it'd be fun, but I saw people being tortured and killed, ended up running for my life, and got whipped and kidnapped and almost killed! It's not real, but it's very scary and physically painful I don't mind telling you."
And for that matter, why does it take kids so long to realize that they're not in Odyssey any more after they go into the IS ?
"Greetings. Name's Baron Von Odyssey. My card."
(Card: [Baron von Odyssey - writer, book lover, fairytale enthusiast, and AIO fan])
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My posts are awesome! You wanna know why?
BECAUSE I'M BATMAN!!
HomeschoolCowgirl
Peach Cobbler

I forgot the exact quote, Tiger, so you're right there. Though, in address to Belle:
Belle wrote: Can you stop your heart? No. But you can shove a rubber ball under your arm to make it appear as you don't have any pulse.

This is demonstrated in Sherlock (spoilers ahead)
John confirms that Sherlock is dead. and he's a doctor, and Sherlock isn't actually dead.
But why would Blackgaard be walking around Red Scorpion headquarters with a rubber ball stuck up his sleeve for this purpose? If he knew Red Scorpion's plans, he'd know they meant to stab Jason with the "vitamins" and not that he was the intended victim.