Avery Awards 2021

The Front Counter is the main place for general Adventures in Odyssey discussions. Grab a Loc-Kno-Stra-Mal, and talk it up!
Polehaus53
Cookies & Creme

Avery Awards 2021

Voting for the Avery Awards for Albums 69 and 70 is now open! Go to the latest episode of the Official Adventures in Odyssey Podcast to vote! Cast your vote for the following nominations:
Best Actress
Best Scene
Best Actor
Best Sound Design
Best Surprise
Best Script
Best Song
Best Overall Episode

As you can see, we've two new categories to vote on: Best Surprise and Best Song. There are a lot of nominations in these categories which I'll have to think about more before voting. The results will be revealed later this year.

What will everyone be voting for? Any predictions on what will win?

Previous Avery Awards Threads:
2020 | 2018 | 2017 | Earlier
-Signed, PolehausFifty-three

Member of The Emily Rules Klub (est. 2012)

“We have it translated in every language: (กฎของเอมิลี่, Emily es la mejor, 艾米莉规则, Emily Quy tắc!, エミリーは最高です, emilyyay ulesray!, Эмили Правила!, Emily é a melhor, एमिली नियम!, Emily est la meilleure!, إميلي هي الأفضل!, Emily Kuralları!, אמילי שולטת!, Emily Regeln!, 에밀리 담당!, Si Emily ang pinakamahusay!, എമിലി രാജ്ഞിയാണ്!, એમિલી નિયમો!) that Emily RULES!”~The E.R.K.
ASmouseInTheHouse
Cookies & Creme

Well, seeing as how the Avery Awards have been going the past few years, I'm going to make predictions on what will win.

Best Actress: Shona Rodman
Best Scene: Whit challenges Morrie to tell the whole truth in “The Rydell Revelations”
Best Actor: Robby Bruce
Best Sound Design: The Rydell Revelations, parts 1-3
Best Surprise: Tasha Forbes suddenly reappears in Odyssey (and with connections to Morrie and Suzu) in “The Rydell Revelations”
Best Script: The Rydell Revelations, parts 1-3
Best Song: Jules and Buck sing “I’m Just Me” together on stage in “California Dreams”
Best Overall Episode: California Dreams, parts 1-2

I am 90% sure that the best song is going to be the Jules/Buck duet... :P
"Next up, Mark Morgan's message to all math maniacs in the middle school is meaningful if you mingle by the mezzanine for a momentous mix of methodological mayhem and a menagerie of multiplicative inversions. Ha ha ha! I bet I could say this backwards. Inversions multiplicative of menagerie a and mayhem methodological..."
Peachey Keen
Caramel Crunch

I'm afraid your predictions will be correct, ASmouseInTheHouse. I don't think too many older AIO fans vote in the Averys to off-set the votes of the many younger fans that love anything with Buck and Jules.

I've already voted and none of them were Rydell/Buckles related nominations.
Shadow
Peach Cobbler

Yeah I am. .not fond of those in general either.
I'm Monty Whittaker's greatest fan. member of the K.R.E
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Polehaus53
Cookies & Creme

Peachey Keen wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:49 pm
I'm afraid your predictions will be correct, ASmouseInTheHouse. I don't think too many older AIO fans vote in the Averys to off-set the votes of the many younger fans that love anything with Buck and Jules.
Indeed. Shona Rodman as Jules Kendall wins best actress whenever she is a nomination. She has won that category in these editions of the Avery Awards: 2014, 2017, 2018, and 2019. That’s literally every single time she has been nominated. Let's have some variety; I believe that there were better options to vote for this year than the Buck and Jules things. :noway:
I as well have just voted (yeah, I'm late and am surprised that the polls aren't closed yet), and I can say that Buck and Jules were not any of my choices.

I am now waiting for the Avery Awards podcast that announces the results! The Avery Awards are definitely my one of my favorite parts of the Official Adventures in Odyssey Podcast. I predict that it will release in September, maybe the 8th or 15th, since that around the time they usually release it. :yes:

“We have it translated in every language: (กฎของเอมิลี่, Emily es la mejor, 艾米莉规则, Emily Quy tắc!, エミリーは最高です, emilyyay ulesray!, Эмили Правила!, Emily é a melhor, एमिली नियम!, Emily est la meilleure!, إميلي هي الأفضل!, Emily Kuralları!, אמילי שולטת!, Emily Regeln!, 에밀리 담당!, Si Emily ang pinakamahusay!, എമിലി രാജ്ഞിയാണ്!, એમિલી નિયમો!) that Emily RULES!”~The E.R.K.
ASmouseInTheHouse
Cookies & Creme

So, the results are here!
Unfortunately, my previous predictions were all correct apart from Best Sound Design and Best Overall Episode.
As for me, only one of my votes won, which was Best Surprise.
How did everyone else's voting go? :o
"Next up, Mark Morgan's message to all math maniacs in the middle school is meaningful if you mingle by the mezzanine for a momentous mix of methodological mayhem and a menagerie of multiplicative inversions. Ha ha ha! I bet I could say this backwards. Inversions multiplicative of menagerie a and mayhem methodological..."
Polehaus53
Cookies & Creme

Although I enjoyed the ceremony, I am not as pleased with the results of the Avery Awards this year. Like ASmouseInTheHouse predicted, the majority of everything that won was Buck and Jules stuff. There were plenty of better things to vote for this year than Buck and Jules. Sadly, not many of the things I voted for won.

But let’s focus on the positives. The Avery Awards ceremony itself this year was great! Bob and Jesse always do a great job hosting them and rolling along with whatever crazy adventures they have while doing it. This year’s award ceremony kept me laughing the whole time. :lol:

This was the best part:
Bob Smithouser: “And how did you train those seahorses?”

Shona Rodman: "Actually, that’s not a seahorse. That's Will Ryan in a tiny little seahorse costume."

Jesse Florea: "Wow. That looks uncomfortable."

Will Ryan: "I'm more uncomfortable with how close we're getting to copyright infringement."
A funny reference to how Will Ryan voiced the seahorse in The Little Mermaid. I couldn't stop laughing. :lol:

Also, we can’t forget that Brock Eastman made an appearance! I really enjoyed hearing him again. I really hope he makes more frequent visits to episodes of the Official Adventures in Odyssey Podcast in the future. :pray:

Overall, another great edition of the Avery Awards, and I look forward to the ceremony next year! \:D/

Monica Stone
Caramel Crunch

"Unrelatable" deserved better.

The target age audience obviously rules the vote, considering "The Rydell Revelations" won best episode. To be fair, if I were 8-12, I, too, would have probably voted for it. It's exciting, it's got twists, it has Tasha's return! It's very flashy. Uncritically, it's a fun ride. But critically, there are a lot of problems with the themes and overall writing that I can't help but feel disappointed it won.

And as per usual, Buck and Jules come out on top as fan favorites in most of the categories. It's interesting to me that the Odyssey team tried for so long to stray away from having teens as main characters, always preferring either kids or adults to be the leads. Now that they have embraced main teen characters, they're absolutely beloved.
Be the reason someone smiles today.
ASmouseInTheHouse
Cookies & Creme

Monica Stone wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:22 pm
"Unrelatable" deserved better.
Indeed. I voted for it as Best Overall Episode, and I heard it after some time yesterday. Once again, I was reminded of how much I liked it. Perhaps I'll do a rant about it on our site.
Polehaus53 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:09 pm
But let’s focus on the positives. The Avery Awards ceremony itself this year was great! Bob and Jesse always do a great job hosting them and rolling along with whatever crazy adventures they have while doing it. This year’s award ceremony kept me laughing the whole time. :lol:
I can't say I was such a fan of the ceremony itself. I thought the whole Jesse-going-after-a-scuba-career was odd, but perhaps I can blame Brock for the weird script he wrote. :lol: