Who is the worst character on AIO?

Do you think Matthew is a great character? Absolutely hate Emily? This is the place to discuss AIO characters, from the old to the new!

Who is the worst character?

Emily
37%
Vance
21%
Katrina
6%
Valerie
37%

Total votes: 52

Mickey
Peach Cobbler

Go Dern. We should start a Dern lovers club!
Um... Worst character I'd have to say Camille, Valerie ect. But not Jay he's cool!
Proud K.R.E Member
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

I merged these two topics together.

The worst character in my mind is Valarie, although I should listen to the newer episodes and see if that has changed.
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
Audrey
Cookies & Creme

Cryin' Brian Dern is da bomb. Seriously, he's one of my favorite characters.

Huh, this is a tough one. Maybe....*runs* Penny. I just don't really like her that much. I can't think of anyone else at the moment, so I'll go with her.
An owl and a squirrel are sitting in a tree, watching a farmer go by. The owl turns to the squirrel and says nothing, because owls can't talk. The owl then eats the squirrel because it is a bird of prey.
Wretched Sinner
Lemon Meringue

As much as I h̶a̶t̶e̶ strongly dislike Emily, she is not my least favourite character. That would be Red Hollard, he is an unfunny, poorly developed, bland, boring, terrible character. But worst of all, he's just a copy of Bernard, who was the best character on AIO.
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Then WretchedSinner, join the KRE! ERK is a cult. (note: the last sentence was only a joke)
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Down With Emily!
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

John Henry wrote:What? Here's how I rate them. My decision for my least favorite is Eugene
It seems somewhat sacrilegious for an AIO fan's least favorite character to be Eugene Meltsner. I'd like to hear your reasons for such a belief.
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Because, Mr. Jefferson...
1. I don't like the way he talks. Don't reckon I've ever heard any person talk like him. It's almost if not fully unrealistic. Is it how he normally talks? I believe he would be very proud in his heart because he can talk in Big words and he's a genius.
2. Because I don't like his picture. His first picture is not what I think he'll look like. The pictures that go till 2008 have his hair too long, and the posthumous pictures (except for 1) make him look sissy.
P.S. It's not sacreligious to dislike Eugene. I used to HATE him. I do not hate him as I used to, but I still dislike him. I don't like the way he talks - besides, he's a fictional character - what's wrong with disliking them or the way they talk?
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

John Henry wrote:Because, Mr. Jefferson...
1. I don't like the way he talks. Don't reckon I've ever heard any person talk like him. It's almost if not fully unrealistic. Is it how he normally talks? I believe he would be very proud in his heart because he can talk in Big words and he's a genius.
2. Because I don't like his picture. His first picture is not what I think he'll look like. The pictures that go till 2008 have his hair too long, and the posthumous pictures (except for 1) make him look sissy.
P.S. It's not sacreligious to dislike Eugene. I used to HATE him. I do not hate him as I used to, but I still dislike him. I don't like the way he talks - besides, he's a fictional character - what's wrong with disliking them or the way they talk?
You are still assuming that people using big words equals pride. Quit it.
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

John Henry wrote:and the posthumous pictures (except for 1) make him look sissy.
#rude

(In all seriousness, do not, under any circumstances, label someone who does not conform to your visual idea of masculinity as "sissy". Such insults not only reveal a considerable amount of prejudice and a judgmental attitude, they are also quite immature assumptions based on inaccurate preconceived notions of a limiting and oppressive view of what "manliness" means. You may dislike a design as you wish, but insulting a character based solely on the way that they dress or wear their clothes is neither appropriate nor acceptable.)
John Henry wrote:The pictures that go till 2008 have his hair too long
The problem wasn't so much that his hair was long (it doesn't even go past his ears) so much as it is that his hair defied the laws of physics. ;)
John Henry wrote:It's almost if not fully unrealistic. Is it how he normally talks? I believe he would be very proud in his heart because he can talk in Big words and he's a genius.
Even though I'm not quite as sesquipedalian as Eugene, my speech patterns often resemble his. I do not typically end sentences with prepositions and I regularly use longer or more complicated words; people with whom I speak do not consider it unnatural so much as they see it as merely the way that I typically use the English language. I prefer to use words that actually benefit and add description to whatever the subject of which I speak is rather than to dumb down my speech to placate people who choose to castigate others who dare to have unique forms of speaking.

Eugene is much the same, and will be more so because he is more scientific and technically minded. He, like almost anyone who has had sufficient education in the realms of technical sciences, is more prone to use precise language than the average person. This is not an indicator of pride in and of itself, and to assume so is to lambaste a rather large percentage of the literary, scientific, historian, and theological communities, many members of whom are also prone to speaking in the allegedly lofty manner that you so criticize.

As to simply finding his speech mannerisms irritating, to perceive them as such is understandable. However, it would be best if you framed your dislike of this character in a manner that does not cast aspersions on real people.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Mr. Whit's End wrote:
Assuming? Not assuming.
TigerShadow wrote:
John Henry wrote:and the posthumous pictures (except for 1) make him look sissy.
#rude

(In all seriousness, do not, under any circumstances, label someone who does not conform to your visual idea of masculinity as "sissy". Such insults not only reveal a considerable amount of prejudice and a judgmental attitude, they are also quite immature assumptions based on inaccurate preconceived notions of a limiting and oppressive view of what "manliness" means. You may dislike a design as you wish, but insulting a character based solely on the way that they dress or wear their clothes is neither appropriate nor acceptable.)
John Henry wrote:The pictures that go till 2008 have his hair too long
The problem wasn't so much that his hair was long (it doesn't even go past his ears) so much as it is that his hair defied the laws of physics. ;)
John Henry wrote:It's almost if not fully unrealistic. Is it how he normally talks? I believe he would be very proud in his heart because he can talk in Big words and he's a genius.
Even though I'm not quite as sesquipedalian as Eugene, my speech patterns often resemble his. I do not typically end sentences with prepositions and I regularly use longer or more complicated words; people with whom I speak do not consider it unnatural so much as they see it as merely the way that I typically use the English language. I prefer to use words that actually benefit and add description to whatever the subject of which I speak is rather than to dumb down my speech to placate people who choose to castigate others who dare to have unique forms of speaking.

Eugene is much the same, and will be more so because he is more scientific and technically minded. He, like almost anyone who has had sufficient education in the realms of technical sciences, is more prone to use precise language than the average person. This is not an indicator of pride in and of itself, and to assume so is to lambaste a rather large percentage of the literary, scientific, historian, and theological communities, many members of whom are also prone to speaking in the allegedly lofty manner that you so criticize.

As to simply finding his speech mannerisms irritating, to perceive them as such is understandable. However, it would be best if you framed your dislike of this character in a manner that does not cast aspersions on real people.
1. Okey Dokey. The world must be changing. :D
2. Oh, so it's normal? Hmmmmm...
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

There's nothing wrong with disliking a fictional character - that wasn't what I was getting at. I was simply saying that it seems odd to be an AIO fan and intensely dislike one of only a handful of characters who seems to be universally accepted as a great character. But still, to each his own.

However, I must say I don't agree with any of your reasons at all. To judge a character by the way they look in a radio drama is completely ridiculous, even if the creators do provide artwork for the characters. You can't say you hate the character of Eugene just because you don't like the way Gary Locke depicts him in album covers. Judge AIO characters by AIO.

As for your other reason, it makes a little more sense, but I still don't agree with it. I mean, if you're genuinely annoyed by Eugene's intellectual speech, then fine. That's your opinion. It's the same concept as me being annoyed by Emily's voice. But still... I disagree, because I think that Eugene's intellectualism is his character, and without it he would be the most boring sap the show has. I think even you would agree that to take away the big, fancy words would effectively take away Eugene. But it seems that's what you want. But I wonder, JH, who are you suggesting to replace him as the third most important AIO character?
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

John Henry wrote:
Mr. Whit's End wrote:
Assuming? Not assuming.
Yes, you are assuming. You're saying that oh, he's prideful just because he uses large words and because he has more education than is the norm.
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

No, it's making a conclusion. Maybe I was making a false conclusion, but I did not assume anything.
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

No, to make a legitimate conclusion would have involved some kind of connected reasoning. A conclusion would be "Eugene uses big words and is a genius, all people who use big words and are geniuses are prideful, therefore Eugene is prideful". You did not state your (erroneous) belief that all people who use long words and have great intelligence are prideful, thus requiring the assumption to be made in that regard.
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

It's very easy for a man to be proud.
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

It's very easy for anyone to be proud. That doesn't give anyone the right to make snap judgments about them for it.
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Snap judgements? Not snap judgements. That's the problem with writing e-mails or posting messages...(no, i do not disapprove of writing or e-mail, etc. OK?).
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

John Henry wrote:Snap judgements? Not snap judgements. That's the problem with writing e-mails or posting messages...(no, i do not disapprove of writing or e-mail, etc. OK?).
Look, the problem is still the same. Your reason for disliking Eugene is very easily understood as "all people who use large words are the curse of the earth and are selfish and sinful."

And what does email have to do with snap judgements?
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

1. Not really. Actually, that's an exaggeration of my opinions. If I had that idea, I'm too extreme.
2. Because people can be misunderstood. And it's not a snap judgement. You won't believe me, but it's not.