Character of the Week

Do you think Matthew is a great character? Absolutely hate Emily? This is the place to discuss AIO characters, from the old to the new!
MasterLink4eva
Strawberry
Location: The Warner Bros. Water Tower with Yakko, Wakko, and Dot.

cheesesoup123 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 9:54 pm
I nominate Penny Bassett née Wise because
1. She's really creative
2. She's relatable, her quirky personality is funny too
3. I don't think she's won before
4. She's realistic
I NOMINATE HER AS WELL!!! A ton of my friends think she's really annoying, including my dad, but I absolutely LOVE her! Probably my fave character actually right next to Wooton!
Wooton: Penny?
Penny: Yes?
Wooton: Will you marry me?
Penny: *gasp* WHAAAAAAAT?!?!?! O.o
THIS MOMENT MEANT THE WORLD TO ME :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:
I love Rueben :)
Polehaus53
Cookies & Creme

Round #68 is over and Penny Bassett has won, unchallenged.

cheesesoup123 voted for: Penny Bassett (1).
MasterLink4eva voted for: Penny Bassett (2).

Round #69 is now beginning.

This week, I'd like to draw our attention to a character we all know: Connie Kendall! Looking through Bob's list of results per round, I cannot find Connie anywhere; it appears as though she has never won. This is an unforgivable crime! :x Connie is a central part of the show, alongside Whit and Eugene. She is the only character to appear in every single mainstream album and not disappear for long periods of time. Her character development since her introduction to the show in "Connie Comes to Town" has been amazing to hear.

Everyone vote for Connie Kendall! \:D/
-Signed, PolehausFifty-three

Member of The Emily Rules Klub (est. 2012)

“We have it translated in every language: (กฎของเอมิลี่, Emily es la mejor, 艾米莉规则, Emily Quy tắc!, エミリーは最高です, emilyyay ulesray!, Эмили Правила!, Emily é a melhor, एमिली नियम!, Emily est la meilleure!, إميلي هي الأفضل!, Emily Kuralları!, אמילי שולטת!, Emily Regeln!, 에밀리 담당!, Si Emily ang pinakamahusay!, എമിലി രാജ്ഞിയാണ്!, એમિલી નિયમો!) that Emily RULES!”~The E.R.K.
MasterLink4eva
Strawberry

Polehaus53 wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 10:59 am
Round #68 is over and Penny Bassett has won, unchallenged.

cheesesoup123 voted for: Penny Bassett (1).
MasterLink4eva voted for: Penny Bassett (2).

Round #69 is now beginning.

This week, I'd like to draw our attention to a character we all know: Connie Kendall! Looking through Bob's list of results per round, I cannot find Connie anywhere; it appears as though she has never won. This is an unforgivable crime! :x Connie is a central part of the show, alongside Whit and Eugene. She is the only character to appear in every single mainstream album and not disappear for long periods of time. Her character development since her introduction to the show in "Connie Comes to Town" has been amazing to hear.

Everyone vote for Connie Kendall! \:D/
HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?! The most popular character of the show, the influencer of multiple generations, the girl we all know and love, Connie Kendall, has NEVER WON?!?
...Forgive us, Father, for we have sinned.
Well, she will this week! I'm voting for CONNIE KENDALL this week, she deserves better.
THIS MOMENT MEANT THE WORLD TO ME :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:
cheesesoup123
Chocolate Chip

Connie Kendall! I’ll be #3
Read my fan fiction
\:D/ \:D/ :yes: :yes: \:D/ \:D/ :wacky:
Monica Stone
Caramel Crunch

I'll vote Connie. :) I love her.
Be the reason someone smiles today.
ASmouseInTheHouse
Cookies & Creme

I'm too lazy to nominate anyone else, so I also vote Connie.
"Next up, Mark Morgan's message to all math maniacs in the middle school is meaningful if you mingle by the mezzanine for a momentous mix of methodological mayhem and a menagerie of multiplicative inversions. Ha ha ha! I bet I could say this backwards. Inversions multiplicative of menagerie a and mayhem methodological..."
MasterLink4eva
Strawberry

ASmouseInTheHouse wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 5:55 pm
I'm too lazy to nominate anyone else, so I also vote Connie.
love that lol
Bob
Caramel Crunch

Round #69 is over; Connie Kendall won decisively and unanimously.

Polehaus53 voted for: Connie Kendall (1).
MasterLink4eva voted for: Connie Kendall (2).
cheesesoup123 voted for: Connie Kendall (3).
Monica Stone voted for: Connie Kendall (4).
ASmouseInTheHouse voted for: Connie Kendall (5).

Round #70 is now beginning.
A classic never goes out of style.
MasterLink4eva
Strawberry

I nominate Trent. He's super funny and sweet, and I'd LOVE to be his friend!
ASmouseInTheHouse
Cookies & Creme

This week, I nominate Jay Smouse. For some, Jay is a favorite because he's a pretty funny kid character, but we can also appreciate that Jay is not a flat character in Odyssey. He does not appear only as a comedian and/or criminal. Over the years, we have seen that he has different sides. This gives Jay a more realistic feel as opposed to entirely bad AIO bullies or mostly good AIO kids.
Everyone, vote Jay Smouse!
"Next up, Mark Morgan's message to all math maniacs in the middle school is meaningful if you mingle by the mezzanine for a momentous mix of methodological mayhem and a menagerie of multiplicative inversions. Ha ha ha! I bet I could say this backwards. Inversions multiplicative of menagerie a and mayhem methodological..."
Polehaus53
Cookies & Creme

Excellent nomination. Jay is one of my favorite characters and it's been a while since he's won. I also vote for Jay Smouse! :yes:

“We have it translated in every language: (กฎของเอมิลี่, Emily es la mejor, 艾米莉规则, Emily Quy tắc!, エミリーは最高です, emilyyay ulesray!, Эмили Правила!, Emily é a melhor, एमिली नियम!, Emily est la meilleure!, إميلي هي الأفضل!, Emily Kuralları!, אמילי שולטת!, Emily Regeln!, 에밀리 담당!, Si Emily ang pinakamahusay!, എമിലി രാജ്ഞിയാണ്!, એમિલી નિયમો!) that Emily RULES!”~The E.R.K.
cheesesoup123
Chocolate Chip

I nominate Eugene Meltsner this week.

As Odyssey’s resident genius, from his first time coming to town and changing everything in Whit’s End to being a professor at CCCC and foster father to former-con-artist Buck Oliver, I think Eugene deserves to get my vote this week. He’s smart, quirky, and very kind. He’s also pretty funny at times. His interactions with his cousin, Bernard Walton, with whom he has clashes with, are very funny. His old arguments with Connie and their now more mature friendship is also interesting.

Anyways, that’s all.
Read my fan fiction
\:D/ \:D/ :yes: :yes: \:D/ \:D/ :wacky:
Polehaus53
Cookies & Creme

Round #70 is over, and Jay Smouse has won, with several characters being nominated against him.

MasterLink4eva voted for: Trent DeWhite (1).
ASmouseInTheHouse voted for: Jay Smouse (1).
Polehaus53 voted for: Jay Smouse (2).
cheesesoup123 voted for: Eugene Meltsner (1).

Round #71 is now beginning.

This week, I shall see what everyone else's nominations are before voting or nominating my own character. :)

ASmouseInTheHouse
Cookies & Creme

This week, I nominate Rodney Rathbone! I was listening to the episode "500" recently and was reminded of how hilarious he is, even though he is a bully.
Polehaus53
Cookies & Creme

Nominating a new character seems pointless, considering this round will soon be over in approximately 7 hours, but I’m going to do it anyway! Who knows, maybe someone else will vote for him.

I’d like to nominate Buddy Norman. Although quite a few fans do not like him because of his imagination, I personally like him. We’ve seen him first appear as a new kid in Odyssey in the episode “A Predicament of Biblical Proportions” and make friends along the way. His imagination, although exaggerated, is quite creative and fun in my opinion, and we have seen him learn to control it in recent episodes. His friendship with and good influence on Jay Smouse has been a great thing to hear. Buddy’s appearance in the latest Club episode, “The Revenge of Bigfoot” was really good and I believe he has earned recognition to be Character of the Week.

Everyone quickly vote for Buddy Norman before this round ends! :mrgreen: \:D/

Bob
Caramel Crunch

I'll second Buddy Norman.

The personality characteristics we see aren't things that come up often in stories these days, and it even seems hard to come by in real life (although I suspect it's just a lack of press). People focus on the imagination, or sometimes the fact that he's a little over-literal, and yeah, sure, I understand that.

But he's such a child, usually in the right ways.

"Lifted Out of Context" is one of my favorite episodes from the last few years, and it's a great example of when things in his character mesh (also, it had what may be Beezee's last appearance, which was a wonderful one). What I appreciate is that there are a lot of things that are genuinely hard to understand in Christianity (or in a 'Christendom' culture that has accumulated things that are extra- or non-Biblical). (I liked "A Perfect Testimony" for this reason, for example, an episode with both Buddy and Camilla having learning experiences.) Buddy's very literal mindset is perfect for exploring these kinds of situations. I also tend to be literal-minded, and even if I get the general point that someone made, I also tend to acquire less-than-helpful derivative conclusions from them, so I can identify with that problem.

Another one of the things I find really refreshing about his character is that he's unusually open with others, especially adults. Nowadays the norm is that it's 'natural to keep secrets'. Maybe it is, but Buddy is transparent, and often very vulnerable. As we get older we get used to covering up our weak points. So far, he hasn't seemed to learn how to do that.

Overall, he often doesn't have a clue and is trying to figure out what seems to be obvious to everyone else, but that nobody ever thought to explain in sufficient detail before. Because he is so transparent, literal, and proactive in trying to live these things out, he very speedily comes across, ah, growth opportunities. He's so 'needy'. And in being so, he's just like what a lot of us ought to be, if we didn't let our pride separate us from the help we could get, or from trying to do what we believe in the first place. When the verse talks about receiving the kingdom as a child, I'm inclined to think that the example Buddy sets might be a lot closer to that than what most people default to.
ByeByeBrownie
Strawberry

All great points above. I vote for Buddy Norman too!
Shiyanne Rylie Steele

Buck and Jules Shipper
Wooton is the best character on Odyssey ever. Fight me.

"It's not that we don't make sense, it's that we have a different way of looking at things that do make sense." ~Wooton Bassett
Bob
Caramel Crunch

Round #71 ended with a victory for Leonard "Buddy" Norman.

ASmouseInTheHouse voted for: Rodney Rathbone (1).
Polehaus53 voted for: Buddy Norman (1).
Bob voted for: Buddy Norman (2).
ByeByeBrownie voted for: Buddy Norman (3).

Round #72 has now begun.
MasterLink4eva
Strawberry

I nominate Wellington Bassett. He may be the complete opposite of his brother, but he is still a very nice guy at heart. And he loves his brother dearly.
ASmouseInTheHouse
Cookies & Creme

I nominate "The Clerk" (the gas station attendant) from Cover of Darkness! Such a great sense of humor. :yes: