Character of the Week

Do you think Matthew is a great character? Absolutely hate Emily? This is the place to discuss AIO characters, from the old to the new!
Polehaus53
Cookies & Creme

I'm a bit late, but I nominate Eugene Meltsner. Eugene appeared in this month’s Club exclusive episode, “The Revenge of Bigfoot” and I really liked him in it. As cheesesoup123 said in round #70, Eugene is an excellent character who has had amazing development since his introduction to Odyssey in the "Connie" episodes. From his skepticism of Christianity to the episodes leading up to his conversion, we have heard him grow. His relationships with the people in Odyssey have been very moving episodes to listen to. His arguments with Connie, his big words driving Tom Riley and Bernard Walton crazy, are all things that I enjoy hearing.

As Whit said in "Out to Sea", "I've watched your life, Eugene. How you've grown from a brilliant, brash, cocky youngster into a brilliant—sometimes brash—kind, and respectable young man." We, the fans, have also seen this as well.

Let us all vote for Eugene Meltsner! :D
-Signed, PolehausFifty-three

Member of The Emily Rules Klub (est. 2012)

“We have it translated in every language: (กฎของเอมิลี่, Emily es la mejor, 艾米莉规则, Emily Quy tắc!, エミリーは最高です, emilyyay ulesray!, Эмили Правила!, Emily é a melhor, एमिली नियम!, Emily est la meilleure!, إميلي هي الأفضل!, Emily Kuralları!, אמילי שולטת!, Emily Regeln!, 에밀리 담당!, Si Emily ang pinakamahusay!, എമിലി രാജ്ഞിയാണ്!, એમિલી નિયમો!) that Emily RULES!”~The E.R.K.
cheesesoup123
Chocolate Chip

I nominate Eugene as well!

Go Eugene!!!
Read my fan fiction
\:D/ \:D/ :yes: :yes: \:D/ \:D/ :wacky:
Polehaus53
Cookies & Creme

Round #72 is over, and Eugene Meltsner has won.

MasterLink4eva voted for: Wellington Bassett (1).
ASmouseInTheHouse voted for: the gas station attendant from "Cover of Darkness” (1).
Polehaus53 voted for: Eugene Meltsner (1).
cheesesoup123 voted for: Eugene Meltsner (2).

Round #73 has begun.

“We have it translated in every language: (กฎของเอมิลี่, Emily es la mejor, 艾米莉规则, Emily Quy tắc!, エミリーは最高です, emilyyay ulesray!, Эмили Правила!, Emily é a melhor, एमिली नियम!, Emily est la meilleure!, إميلي هي الأفضل!, Emily Kuralları!, אמילי שולטת!, Emily Regeln!, 에밀리 담당!, Si Emily ang pinakamahusay!, എമിലി രാജ്ഞിയാണ്!, એમિલી નિયમો!) that Emily RULES!”~The E.R.K.
cheesesoup123
Chocolate Chip

I nominate…

Bernard Walton
Odyssey’s favorite window washer is one of my fave characters. He’s grumpy but has a most amazing heart. His dry humor is very entertaining and his interactions with both Eugene, Wooton, and Connie are great!
Read my fan fiction
ASmouseInTheHouse
Cookies & Creme

I vote for Bernard Walton!
"Next up, Mark Morgan's message to all math maniacs in the middle school is meaningful if you mingle by the mezzanine for a momentous mix of methodological mayhem and a menagerie of multiplicative inversions. Ha ha ha! I bet I could say this backwards. Inversions multiplicative of menagerie a and mayhem methodological..."
Bananareader
Caramel Crunch

The Old Judge wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:09 pm
Well, since it's just "Character of the Week" you can nominate her, I guess. :? If it was "Honorable, Upstanding, and Likable Character of the Week", I would delete your post.
HOWEVER, if it was "Selfish, Spotlight-hogging, and Blackmailing Character of the Week", she would definitely win.

***DISCLAIMER:I am not an Emily hater, in certain episodes, such as Square One or Emily, the Genius, she actually has human characteristics, such as compassion and wanting to make her parents proud. However, 80 percent of the time, she is a little, well,........(Fill in the Blank.)
I don’t see how Emily is selfish or a blackmailing character. I would put Dr. Regis Blackard or Rodney rathbone, or Morris Rydell if this list existed since most of them wouldn’t fit in the Honorable, Upstanding, and Likable Character of the Week" Disclaimer: I know it’s a joke, I just couldn’t resist
Bananareader
Caramel Crunch

I also vote for Bernard Walton because he is one my characters and nobody’s nominated anyone else yet.
Bob
Caramel Crunch

Bananareader wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:20 pm
I don’t see how Emily is selfish or a blackmailing character.
In 2012, when that post was made, that analysis of her character wasn't totally amiss (albeit maybe overstated).

As far as I know, she only blackmailed in one episode, but it was flagrant; in Square One she blackmailed Matthew, and then a little later, the Square One Club as a whole. She also often had at least somewhat selfish motives for doing things; in the Malted Milkball Falcon, she went above and beyond to 'solve the case' of the missing milkballs, while covering up the fact that both she and almost all of her friends went to sleep during the night (and thus didn't qualify to eat them anyway).

Since then, she has matured to a quite different level.

___

I'd like to nominate someone else, but don't feel to do so at this time.
A classic never goes out of style.
Polehaus53
Cookies & Creme

Bananareader wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:20 pm
I don’t see how Emily is selfish or a blackmailing character. I would put Dr. Regis Blackard or Rodney rathbone, or Morris Rydell if this list existed since most of them wouldn’t fit in the Honorable, Upstanding, and Likable Character of the Week" Disclaimer: I know it’s a joke, I just couldn’t resist
Excellent points, I hadn't thought of that. Dr. Blackgaard and Rodney would indeed fit better in that list than Emily. Be sure to stop by the Emily Rules Klub and say more, I'd love to hear more of your thoughts.

And I also vote for Bernard Walton! \:D/ I recently listened to "Two Friends and a Truck", and Bernard was great in it. He had me laughing a lot. :yes:

ASmouseInTheHouse
Cookies & Creme

Round #73 is over, and Bernard Walton has won!

Cheesesoup voted for Bernard Walton (1).
ASmouseInTheHouse voted for Bernard Walton (2).
Bananareader voted for Bernard Walton (3).
Polehaus53 voted for Bernard Walton (4).

Round #74 has begun.

I would like to nominate Grady McKay for character of the week. I've been listening through his arc and I think that he and his family were a unique addition to the show, and I really enjoyed their story!
"Next up, Mark Morgan's message to all math maniacs in the middle school is meaningful if you mingle by the mezzanine for a momentous mix of methodological mayhem and a menagerie of multiplicative inversions. Ha ha ha! I bet I could say this backwards. Inversions multiplicative of menagerie a and mayhem methodological..."
cheesesoup123
Chocolate Chip

Just to toss it up, I’d like to vote for Brian "Butch". I think his character was great during the blackgaard saga
Read my fan fiction
Bob
Caramel Crunch

Round #74 closed, with a draw between Grady McKay and Brian "Butch" Evans.

ASmouseInTheHouse voted for: Grady McKay (1).
cheesesoup123 voted for: Brian "Butch" Evans (1).

Round #75 began on Monday, June 28 and is currently underway.

-

Although the round is short and there is little time for discussion or consensus, the time has come to nominate a worthy candidate.

This respectable gentleman left a comfortable and prestigious position, risking his life and sacrificing his health to protect others. For all that he gave up, he's now primarily remembered as a punchline or a joke character. Arthur Dent has suffered enough and should now be recognized for what he did, not derided for what was done to him.
Polehaus53
Cookies & Creme

Excellent nomination, Bob. I completely agree with you; Arthur Dent's sacrifices and the risks he took are things that not many people mention today. He is sadly primarily known as the muffin man instead of the man who played a key role in putting a stop to Novacom. I also vote for Arthur Dent.

Bob
Caramel Crunch

Round #75 ended with a unanimous victory for Arthur Dent.

Bob voted for: Arthur Dent (1).
Polehaus53 voted for: Arthur Dent (2).

Round #76 began on Monday, July 5 and is currently underway.

Edit: I have updated the voting list in this post to include all rounds up through #75.
Polehaus53
Cookies & Creme

Thanks for doing that! All your work is much appreciated.

I’d like to nominate Detective Don Polehaus. Looking through the voting list, I cannot seem to find this brilliant detective nominated or won at any time. Detective Polehaus was first introduced in The Green Ring Conspiracy Saga and began appearing more frequently after he returned in “The Ties That Bind, Part 4”. He appeared as an extremely stern, cold-hearted policeman who enforced the law. His tough, no-nonsense approach when investigating is something I enjoy hearing. In recent episodes, we have been seeing a softer, more human side of Detective Polehaus. We first began seeing this in “The Toy”, where he emotionally explains to Whit, Ed, Wooton, Dr. Graham, and Jason about his nephew and thanks them all for everything they did. From there, in episodes such as “Auto Response” and “Search for a Sunflower” we have continued to see this side of him. We’ve been seeing a lot of character development from him lately, and I’m interested in seeing where that will go.

Everyone, vote for Detective Polehaus! :mrgreen:

ASmouseInTheHouse
Cookies & Creme

Here's a vote for Detective Polehaus!
Polehaus53
Cookies & Creme

Round #76 is over, and Detective Don Polehaus has won, unopposed.

Polehaus53 voted for: Detective Polehaus (1).
ASmouseInTheHouse voted for: Detective Polehaus (2).

Round #77 has begun.