Marvin Washington Appreciation Thread

Do you think Matthew is a great character? Absolutely hate Emily? This is the place to discuss AIO characters, from the old to the new!
GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

Marvin Washington Appreciation Thread

If you are a fan of Marvin's goofy yet endearing sense of humour or have ever wanted to see M.M (Marvellous Marvin) make a comeback, join the club!
Discussions welcome. :)
I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us - Romans 8:18

It’s not enough to be against something. You have to be for something better. – Tony Stark
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

YUS! You know I always forget how much I love Marvin but every time I listen to an episode with him he momentarily becomes my favorite character. He's just so great. I'm not sure what about him everyone likes so much. I can't put my finger on it. But whether it's his awesome quirkiness, his wonderful sense of compassion, or his occasional outbursts of passionate ramblings, he's a fantastic character that deserves the highest respect.
"Let me get this straight. I bet all those non-friends of yours try to embarrass you about your love for that stuff, right? So, you almost feel like you have to hide your treasures away and can only take them out in secret on rainy days when your mom goes to the store to get more liver and nobody is around to berate your sensitive spirit. Is that what you’re saying?" -Jay Smouse
Blitz
Moose Tracks

My brother loved Marvin. He used to go by Marvin D Trent I believe. I kinda like him, but I hated how they always put him behind his sister.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

That's a good point. The episodes with just Marvin, not Tamika, are much better than their adventures together.
"Let me get this straight. I bet all those non-friends of yours try to embarrass you about your love for that stuff, right? So, you almost feel like you have to hide your treasures away and can only take them out in secret on rainy days when your mom goes to the store to get more liver and nobody is around to berate your sensitive spirit. Is that what you’re saying?" -Jay Smouse
GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

Thank you showing up Blitz!
Yeah, Tamika had good qualities though was more bossy and even selfish. Marvin was such a riot.
I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us - Romans 8:18

It’s not enough to be against something. You have to be for something better. – Tony Stark
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

I always liked both siblings, but I really wish the AIO writers would break off of the "foolish brother, responsible sister" dynamic. We saw it with Jimmy and Donna, David and Mandy, Marvin and Tamika, Barrett and Emily, Matthew and Olivia...I mean, if nothing else, there are plenty of sisters who really wish they could be as good at everything as their brothers are. (I'm one of them.)

Anyway, Marvin's awesome. I love his sense of humor, his laid-back personality, and how he seems to have gotten more confident in himself. Plus, Los Perros Frescos will one day alternatively sweep the nation! \:D/ I think one of my favorite Marvin quotes is "I have a big hole in my head and I'm wearing dirty clothes!"
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

TigerShadow wrote:I mean, if nothing else, there are plenty of sisters who really wish they could be as good at everything as their brothers are. (I'm one of them.)
Heh, SAME.
GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

TigerShadow wrote:I always liked both siblings, but I really wish the AIO writers would break off of the "foolish brother, responsible sister" dynamic. We saw it with Jimmy and Donna, David and Mandy, Marvin and Tamika, Barrett and Emily, Matthew and Olivia...I mean, if nothing else, there are plenty of sisters who really wish they could be as good at everything as their brothers are. (I'm one of them.)

Anyway, Marvin's awesome. I love his sense of humor, his laid-back personality, and how he seems to have gotten more confident in himself. Plus, Los Perros Frescos will one day alternatively sweep the nation! \:D/ I think one of my favorite Marvin quotes is "I have a big hole in my head and I'm wearing dirty clothes!"
Aye TigerShadow, I completely agree with you. It's sort of topic, though something I've often thought about. I wish we could have a bold and outspoken girl character, unlike Connie, she might have a thing for thrill rides and impulsive tendencies. More of a stereotypical tomboy. Yet, I imagine she would be quite amazing and doesn't need to fall to fault every time.

I love that quote. :lol: I also like him in the "Switch" - "That wasn't Mr. Whittaker. That was a big Girl Scout with a mustache."

Autumnal
Chocolate Chip

I really like Marvin. It's a nice break from Tamika who gets on my nerves more often than not.
GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

Autumnal wrote:I really like Marvin. It's a nice break from Tamika who gets on my nerves more often than not.
It's not that I completely dislike Tamika, I was swollen by her bossiness, when she was rude. What really threw me off was trying to figure whether Marvin or Tamika was older.

I sort of imagined Marvin was younger.

TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

I always figured Marvin was older. For one thing, he mentions in "It's All About Me" that his little sister keeps taking his comic books, and I don't think there's anything stated in another episode to contradict that; for another, Tamika doesn't start being explicitly shown in middle school until after Marvin's clearly been in it for awhile. I mean, ages in Odyssey are always messy, so there's no way to know for sure, but I kind of like thinking of Tamika as the younger sister. It adds another layer to the "Type A sibling, Type B sibling" dynamic, where her talents are even more needling to Marvin because she's younger than he is and yet he feels that she's better than he is at everything.

Also, I really don't get the hate for Tamika, but then again, I like to see diversity among my female characters in terms of their flaws. I also like the dynamic with Tamika as a foil to Mandy—hypercompetent, intelligent girls who are generally more grounded than their peers, but Tamika can be overbearing and pushy, while Mandy is generally more flexible and lowkey.
GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

TigerShadow wrote:I always figured Marvin was older. For one thing, he mentions in "It's All About Me" that his little sister keeps taking his comic books, and I don't think there's anything stated in another episode to contradict that; for another, Tamika doesn't start being explicitly shown in middle school until after Marvin's clearly been in it for awhile. I mean, ages in Odyssey are always messy, so there's no way to know for sure, but I kind of like thinking of Tamika as the younger sister. It adds another layer to the "Type A sibling, Type B sibling" dynamic, where her talents are even more needling to Marvin because she's younger than he is and yet he feels that she's better than he is at everything.

Also, I really don't get the hate for Tamika, but then again, I like to see diversity among my female characters in terms of their flaws. I also like the dynamic with Tamika as a foil to Mandy—hypercompetent, intelligent girls who are generally more grounded than their peers, but Tamika can be overbearing and pushy, while Mandy is generally more flexible and lowkey.
To be honest, that is one of the few episodes I have not heard. O.o

I do not hate Tamika, I only like Marvin more.
I do agree about the difference though, and Tamika did grow a bit as a person, towards the end she seemed kinder.
I've worked it down to realising a female character with Jason's personality would be neat.

TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

GJFH wrote:I do not hate Tamika, I only like Marvin more.
Sorry; I should have clarified—I was speaking generally, not to you specifically. (I do get what you mean about Marvin, though. He is a smol cinnamon bun.)
GJFH wrote:I've worked it down to realising a female character with Jason's personality would be neat.
O.o Girl, you are speakin' my language.
Shadow
Peach Cobbler

Another proof for Tamika being younger in " A Lamb's Tale" is that she is 10 and Marvin is in 6th or 7th grade, who would make her younger than Marvin.
I'm Monty Whittaker's greatest fan. member of the K.R.E
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

Yes. I've been thinking about it, and I really like the idea of Marvin being older. I just wish the Washingtons could have stuck around a little while longer, because I feel like we could have gotten some good scenes with Marvin and Tamika as teens.
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Well, we'll get a little bit of that when "Unfair Game" comes out. ^_^
GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

TigerShadow wrote:Well, we'll get a little bit of that when "Unfair Game" comes out. ^_^
I think I'm going to leave this earth. When I first saw news of the episode, I cried because I was overjoyed. :wacky:

I do recall that Tamika was younger in "A Lamb's Tale" it's been a while though.

Shadow
Peach Cobbler

The Coolest Dog is so great, And Los Perros Frescas will sweep the nation.
I'm Monty Whittaker's greatest fan. member of the K.R.E
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
321tumbler
Caramel Crunch

Knowing that Tamika is the younger sibling. The pair in someways remind me of Monty and Jenny. Both Marvin and Monty often feel like they're in the shadow of their younger sister who is very outgoing. However, they have some quality which makes me enjoy listening to them better.
GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

321tumbler wrote:Knowing that Tamika is the younger sibling. The pair in someways remind me of Monty and Jenny. Both Marvin and Monty often feel like they're in the shadow of their younger sister who is very outgoing. However, they have some quality which makes me enjoy listening to them better.
I do agree, this is an excellent way of putting it, l. :yes:

While Tamika is a strong, confident female character, Marvin's slang and his comedic, albeit relatable, antics stand out more.