Wooton Bassett

Do you think Matthew is a great character? Absolutely hate Emily? This is the place to discuss AIO characters, from the old to the new!
NateVONgreat
Cookies & Creme

before reading the official guide, i hadnt noticed that wooten existed before the episode #50, simply because he always appeared in a body covering suit/ costume in pictures (Clubhouse magazine etc. )
he is awesome, i have a friend whose mind is just like his, crazy , creative, and imaginative, and i always wonder, where all of this comes from......

Sandwiches are wonderful
Sandwiches are fine!
I like sandwiches, I eat them all the time!
kittymeow28
Strawberry

Wait, some people don't like Wooten???

I think the funniest part is when Whit told the little girl to cut the wood with a really sharp ax!!
About Around Noon.., Yesterday... YEET! *Bottle Crashes*
Blitz
Moose Tracks

You have no idea kitty. Lots of us hate the new Wooten.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
kittymeow28
Strawberry

And YOUR one of them? Because if You are,...
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Blitz wrote:You have no idea kitty. Lots of us hate the new Wooten.
The new Wooten? How is he different?
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
kittymeow28
Strawberry

Wooten is the best Character! how do You not like Him??
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

These posts have been moved on the grounds that they will lead to an off-topic discussion.

As to why people don't like Wooton: as near as I can tell, people don't like him, particularly in Albums 51-56, because they have found him to be obnoxious, over-the-top, and overused. His style of humor is considered by many to be best either in small doses or when it is absent entirely, and his detractors often remark that it is difficult to take him seriously as a Christian mentor when his behavior is frequently so childish.

I personally like Wooton well enough, especially in the pre-relaunch era and the past few albums, because while he can be a goofball, he demonstrates in these appearances a remarkably insightful view of the world. I find the psychology of his personality to be interesting—he was rambunctious and silly to begin with, but I think there is also a clear indication (if it hasn't been outright stated) that he also acts the way he does because of his restrictive and stern upbringing, which is a very deep insight into his character. However, I'm also not a fan of how overused he's been in the past few albums, and I think it was a bit much for the team to define him as a member of the core cast; I think he's used best as a primary supporting character, not as a primary lead, because otherwise, he gets very tiresome very quickly.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

TigerShadow wrote:I think he's used best as a primary supporting character, not as a primary lead, because otherwise, he gets very tiresome very quickly.
By "primary supporting," are you referring to a character role such as what Tom and Bernard filled, appearing 50%-75% of the album, enough to where the character's personality is filled out and he interacts in a normalized manner? If that is not what you mean, please explain. I just want to have a firm understanding in my mind of what you meant.

A very Depression-esque song, with a line of hit sung in the 1996 film Jingle All the Way. (Think of the scene with the illegal toy manufacturers.) (1937)
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Yes, that is what I meant—a character who is in the highest echelon of characters, but who isn't a lead. Personally, I've always thought of the leads to be Whit, Connie, and Eugene.
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

Ah, so your problem would be the inclusion of Wooton into a triad that is more than 25 years old. I have noticed that, mainly when I got the 25th Anniversary Official Guide. But is happening even more, mainly with the Wooton's Whirled History samplers. Those are most likely just a ploy to reach younger children and their pacifying parents.

A beautiful song that gives me chills. A timeless song, sung by greats such as Gene Autry and Fats Domino to amateurs like Vladimir Putin. (1940)
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

The Old Judge wrote:Ah, so your problem would be the inclusion of Wooton into a triad that is more than 25 years old.
Basically, but it's not just because of nostalgia; by the time of the relaunch, Wooton simply hadn't been around long enough to justify elevating him to a position as a lead character, and his status as a walking Spotlight Stealing Squad got very tiresome. Thankfully, his character has been essentially rerailed to its former, more palatable state, especially as of Album 59, but I'm still not his biggest fan, and it is at least partially to do with how overused he was.
Blitz
Moose Tracks

Wooten appeals to younger audiences unlike the older ones. We didn't grow up with him as a lead nor is he capable of being a lead character in my opinion. I even found him annoying sometimes before the relaunch. Since penny is the main supporting character, it was imberable.
Debate Vampire

Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

^The only image macro I care about.
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

Nice meme, Belle. I agree completely. :clap:

At the same time, though, I understand that a new listener that is not observant or not well read could misspell his name, as almost everyone pronounces it "Woot'n," in a manner similar to "open." I have a number of friends who spell phonetically, and they would probably make this mistake as well. Penny is really the only one who pronounces it differently, saying "Woo-tun," which is more similar to an "o" sound, such as an Imperial or metric "ton."

Half the company jumps when he plays reveille.... (1941)
Tarol
Peach Cobbler

Actually, my web browser spell check says "Wooton" is not a word but "Wooten" is an appropriate spelling. Most likely it is due to that influence, not plain ignorance or stupidity.
xo eht haiasi-
Mickey
Peach Cobbler

kittymeow28 wrote:Wooten is the best Character! how do You not like Him??
Thank you Kitty I've been trying to get that point across! Wooton. is. the. best
He is different more serous but I think he is still Wooton.
Proud K.R.E Member
Blitz
Moose Tracks

Mickey wrote:
kittymeow28 wrote:Wooten is the best Character! how do You not like Him??
Thank you Kitty I've been trying to get that point across! Wooton. is. the. best
He is different more serous but I think he is still Wooton.
This gives no reason for why he is the best, so it doesn't get the point across.
Debate Vampire

TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

It also indicates that you haven't read the reasons that we have given as to why we don't think Wooton is the best. If you want to persuade people toward your point of view, you have to not only give good reasons backed with solid evidence, but you also have to be able to address arguments to the contrary.
Tarol
Peach Cobbler

*cough*

This isn't a debate.... I don't see why you are getting so snobby... can't people just appreciate somethings others don't? Another thing is, Blitz and Tiger...you are both, like, old... Micky and KittenMeow are younger so they may like different things than you.
xo eht haiasi-