Brian McCarthy

Do you think Matthew is a great character? Absolutely hate Emily? This is the place to discuss AIO characters, from the old to the new!
Stella C.
Peach Cobbler

New Character!

http://whitsendblog.org/

Behold, the newest addition to the Odyssey world: Brian McCarthy, voiced by Cullen McCarthy. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is the first time in Odyssey history they've used the last name of the actor for the character)

What do YOU think... Is he going to be a flop or perhaps the next best character since Jay (though, that is a very tough thing to beat, BTW)?
I'm unfamiliar with how the OAC works, but has anyone heard the episode(s) that he is in? What are your thoughts on him?
Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring. -Proverbs 27:1
Sam: Up on our mountain, where the muffins stink, the boys aren't, and we play music all day long.. xD
Stella: Sounds AWESOME!
Blitz
Moose Tracks

*Growls at OAC*
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

Well, his first episode won't be until July probably because the next OAC episode is the second part of a two-parter, and it's not listed on whitsend.org.

My book, Justice Lost, is on Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JM1XFCI
Bren
Cookie Dough
Cookie Dough

They kinda did that with Curt Stevens/Fabio Stephens.
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

OAC yada yada yada. Not interested if it's OAC exclusive.
Mara
Pistachio

He'll be in the normal albums too, right? If so, I wonder how they'll introduce him since he will have been previously introduced in OAC...
Wakko
Pistachio

Mara wrote:He'll be in the normal albums too, right? If so, I wonder how they'll introduce him since he will have been previously introduced in OAC...
Maybe they'll do it like all the other kids characters since the relaunch. He'll just randomly appear.
HomeschoolCowgirl
Peach Cobbler

Bren wrote:They kinda did that with Curt Stevens/Fabio Stephens.
Or (sorta) with Alan Young, and Jack Allen.
"Musical training is a more potent instrument than any other, for rhythm and harmony find their way into the inner places of the soul... making the soul of one who is rightly educated, graceful" -- Socrates
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

OAC keeps trying to give you reasons to dislike it. It has an amazingly sleek design, it's user friendly, it has over 700 episodes, it has all kinds of extra goodies they keep throwing int to make matters more exciting from the Harley episodes to Focus on the Family dramas to animated cartoons, and I encourage you to get it. After all, aio is doing this because it's going under and it needs money somehow, preferably by offering us a product rather than just asking for money (which they do anyway and it's obviously not working. I can't imagine why, people love just giving money.)

And yet, so many things about it stink. There's news for you, OAC stinks. However, here's the complaint of the hour: Brian.

Brian seemed like a decent new character in The Lone Lawman. When he first came on, he had an acting talent (just like Mandy... and Olivia... give us a new hobby! Give us a bookworm!) He did excellently in his role on Kyds Radio, and it was interesting actually seeing an odyssey kid acting on the air.

But since then, in Thirty Jays Hath Septemberhe suddenly became the evil equivalent of Matthew and Dwayne: he reluctantly goes along with whatever the dominant character says for the sake of the plot. In this case, the dominant character being Jay. He also turned out to have a talent for camera work. Okay, some new information about him. So far as these characteristics remain consistent, we're good. Still, you'd think you'd want to emphasize the characteristics you gave us before. After all, we're just learning who this guy is, he shouldn't show a totally different side episode to episode, but oh well.

His worst appearance so far is in... actually I cant remember the name. But in it, a dog chews up a video tape that turns out to be important and they try to figure out some mangled clues from it.

And someone is along for the ride. Someone who is into technology, specifically a new watch he's geeking out over, and helps solve the mystery. Matthew?

Nope. You see where this is going. Brian. Why, explain why. First off, so far, still very little consistency. Second off, they could hardly have more perfectly thrown Brian into a situation where a new character was not needed. He does nothing that Matthew could not or would not do. We have a character whose niche is to handle mysteries and technology-love, we have a plot that calls for him, and we give the role to someone else? This is a new character, they should be establishing why he's needed on the show, not the polar opposite.

To be fair, in his individual episodes, Brian is a fairly good character. Even in the last one mentioned (what was the darn name) he's acceptably good. Pretty funny and contributes a little bit to the plot, and he's thoroughly likable. But as a whole, so far his episodes add up to a character who doesn't work.

His voice is great though, and that's part of the problem. He feels like a character made to give a role to a particularly outstanding actor. This can work (like with Malcom Lear) but in this case, the character has barely any reason to exist.

Thoughts? Does anyone actually like Brian and hope that he'll pop in non-OAC episodes? Does it make sense to have characters like this who only appear in OAC? Why exactly are there characters like this in OAC in the first place, is OAC a lab for writers to try out experimental new characters now? Let's talk it up.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury