Orators of Odyssey

Do you think Matthew is a great character? Absolutely hate Emily? This is the place to discuss AIO characters, from the old to the new!
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

Orators of Odyssey

One of my favorite things to listen for in the Odyssey episodes is an excellent speaker, someone who has a passion for something and communicates it well. In my mind, a good orator is not so much of a speaker than a communicator. In other words, they wouldn't have to address a crowd, it could be a private conversation, a story shared with others, or a point well made. Odyssey has had several of these skilled people come and go, including (of course, how could I think of discussing something without mentioning-) Dr. Blackgaard, Lucy Cunningham-Schultz, Nathaniel Graham, Courtney (Vincent?), and of course Mr. Whittaker. Each of these people communicated in their own way. Dr. Blackgaard could speak dramatically and convincingly, Lucy had integrity and innocence that lead her to many life changing conversations, Nathaniel displayed remarkable debating skills and ability to prove or highlight a point, Courtney had a heartfelt warmth and inner flame which enabled her to light the passion of others, and Mr. Whittaker probably used a combination of all of these things. He could debate, persuade others, give godly wisdom, go under disguise, and motivate individuals. This short list only begins to describe the orators of Odyssey. If you have a favorite communicator, please explain why you enjoy hearing them below.

T.S. (myself)
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

Tom and Jack, definitely. Tom because he knew what your problem was, and knew how to fix it, but his advice was simple. He was a farmer, he had good old fashioned American ideals, morals, and convictions, and he knew how to communicate that. What I'm trying to say is Whit seemed like he knew everything and could do anything. To the kids in Odyssey, he was almost a deity. But who was there telling Whit what his bounds were in "The Mortal Coil"? Tom. Now, Jack. Whereas Tom would get up and get in the spotlight if necessary, Tom would. But, Jack? Oh, no. But think. Whit's End couldn't have survived. He gave kids amazing advice even after Whit came back. And who talked sense into Jason when he got all these crazy and sometimes wrong ideas? Jack. Also they both set good examples as prayer warriors. Tom was an elder of his church, who would always arrive an hour early on Sundays to pray that the Lord's hand would be on the congregation. And when Doctor Blackgaard had Odyssey in the palm of his hand, Jack went to a prayer retreat to ask the Lord what to do.
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)
gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

yeah they all are good orators
"Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts." - Jeremiah 15:16
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

The Old Judge: Good additions. They are also valuable orators in Odyssey. I suppose you might include Connie and Eugene for godly conversation and debate, but with both of them being busier, we don't hear that as much right now.

T.S. (myself)
C-guy
Fudge Marble
Location: ►On the Lost island running from Rapid Rabbits Rashly Rushing Rapidly at me‼◄

Mr. Whittaker definetly. What made him special as a counselor, though not official, was that he had trust. Think about it. Pretty much everyone in Odyssey could come to Whittaker for advice. I'm not sure about you, but I usually don't go to people I don't trust if I need to talk about serious issues. That was what made John Avery Whittaker. The trust he developed with people enabled him to talk to people like he does. He could help them with issues kids might not even tell their parents. It's nice to see someone like that. Plus, he had was packed with advice and wisdom which helped him give the advice everyone needed.
862 comments and counting...
ImageLeader of the Quadruple T and Double C Club.

Check out 1 of the S.S.'s most popular topics: Ruin a Wish

Emily's Okay...
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

Good thinking. I know that a huge part of public speaking is credibility. People may listen, but they will not accept a word you use unless they trust you. This an even bigger requirement in counseling, because people will not even come OR listen unless you have earned their trust.

T.S. (myself)
Wretched Sinner
Lemon Meringue

Connie and eugene are great argument orators.
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

They are. Debating quickens the wit and helps you to think on your feet.