Who was the Chairman?

Do you think Matthew is a great character? Absolutely hate Emily? This is the place to discuss AIO characters, from the old to the new!
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

Who was the Chairman?

T. S. (myself) did a good job doing his "Did Dr. Regis Blackgaard Really Die?" article, and the speculative format was fun. Now some of you guys are a LOT more creative than me, so what do you think? Please discuss. The title says what this topic is all about.

A mysterious man flies in a helicopter over Odyssey watching his plan, Operation Think Tank, the program that will enslave the human race through radio waves, unfold into triumph. He notices something is wrong as a car drives up to the hidden computer shed in the mountains. Is there a possibility his plan could fail? No! The doubt leaves his mind as quickly as it entered. He had worked on this plan for years. He had tracked people down and killed them. But, no, he is not an idiot. He has Mister Whittaker's most precious invention hooked up to his machine. He wouldn't ruin it. Would he? So he got his henchman, Bennett Charles, to hold Whittaker's spiritual daughter hostage in his office. Everything is perfect. It couldn't fail now. Wait! What's going on?! The car's driving away. Pull yourself together, the machinery was too sophisticated for them. Whittaker! Drat! He was one of the best computer programmers in the government! Hurry up, Launch Date. -A Few Minutes Pass- Oh no! He did it! I don't know how, Lord knows I don't, but he did. Years worth of work wasted in a minute! One day I'll be back, Whittaker. And when I am, you're going to wish you never lived. As the helicopter flies away into the distance, its passengers never seen again and its landing place unknown, we wonder. A decade later we wonder. Who was the man who struck fear into so many hearts? Who was the man who would do any thing, no matter how dirty, to accomplish his goals? Who was the man in that helicopter? Who was the Chairman of Andromeda?
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

Very good. Thank you for your comment about me, though I still need to work on clarity, organization, and applying myself to all facets of the topic. I think that AiO left a door open when they let the Chairman escape. Possibly they did this to allow a plot continuation? Anyway, I wonder where the Chairman could be now. He was obviously a brilliant man, and, unlike Dr. Blackgaard, he had a widespread organization. This is a point I have wanted to bring up. Dr. Blackgaard had a few minions here and there, always slipping underneath the proverbial radar. On the other hand, the Chairman had people over the face of the planet, he also slipped under the radar, but through stealth, not few workers. Thus, the Chairman probably escaped to a hidden compound with a few of his remaining companions. However, this does not answer the original question: Who was he? We know he was a genius, and that he headed up Andromeda, but we know nothing beyond that. Time for illustration, elaboration, and exaggeration...

Let us pretend that the Chairman had a few relatives, people we may know. Imagine that the Chairman shared ancestors with a few other evil masterminds, such as Mr. Grote and Dr. Blackgaard. Let me take you into the past...

It is the year 1901, in London, England. Today is a day the world will remember. Police forces have surrounded the long-suspected Thompson house, home to the largest gambling and blackmailing ring in western Europe. The men heading the ring are clever, and they have eluded the authorities for years. The mayor has finally made his move, trapping the men in their own hideout. Wait! Something is happening! The police forces are stirring! They are coming out of the building. They have 5 men at gunpoint, and are taking them into custody. (the story continues in police files)

Gregor Thompson.

5' 11", strong build
Black hair, brown eyes
214lbs.
has been know to use name Henry Higgins
Family: wife-Elizabeth(deceased),
siblings-3
children-4 (all sons)

Has been wanted for 18 yrs. Captured and arrested May 6th, 1901, for heading gambling ring, blackmail to over 500 individuals, and littering on public property. Is now being held at the London Jail until his trial. Gregor has arranged for his sons to live at the homes of relatives, unfortunately, they will be split amongst several families, which live across Europe.

Now, pretend that the 4 sons were seperated and never saw each other again. They each lived the rest of their lives in forgein countries, married, has children, and died. Maybe descendents of one brother moved to southeast asia, while others headed back to England. Maybe, just maybe, Blackgaard, the Chairman, and Mr. Grote could all be descendents of the same family. Perhaps they get their evil schemes from their great-grandfather. Anyway, just speculation. Hope I didn't dive too far off the subject, The Old Judge!

T.S. (myself)
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

Look, there's people on here that are a lot more creative than me. I would like to see different people's outlooks on what happened to the Chairman. Here is what I think.

Journal Entry 247: January 26, 2004

Dear Journal, the most interesting thing happened today. I received a letter from Franklin Laivler. Now I don't think I mentioned him before, but when I knew him I was a young college kid chasing my dreams and I never thought I'd ever write in a journal. Forty-five years changes you a lot. Anyway, I first met Franklin in college. I was a senior, and he was a freshman. He was gifted, though. He was seventeen when he enrolled. He did two years of high school in one, and that's why he came when he did. Apparently the most obvious reason we became such fast friends is because we loved Ancient History. His most favorite part of the class was studying empires such as Rome and Persia. He believed that one day an empire could be built, greater than that of the Romans. I brushed it off as just a fantasy, but it wasn't, and that's what led him to his downfall. About five months later, he began to go public with his ideas. He would talk about the anytime he could. Trouble was he began to detail his plans out. He stated that man could come about with this empire by harnessing communication and education institutions. Now for the Glimenshtultz University Board of Education in 1959, that sounded a little too much like Communism. Two years before I came in to the college, there had been quite tumultuous Communist activity, and it had become university policy to expel any Communist-affiliated students. So Franklin was expelled, and though I wrote him several letters, apparently he moved to a different location each time I wrote to what I thought was his "present" address. Anyway, I finally got a letter from Franklin, and I actually was quite disturbed. He said he had "found a small town in Ohio. The perfect position to broadcast to the Northeastern United States and even portions of Canada. Sadly, the local townspeople didn't want broadcast towers interrupting their local scenery, so I had to get out of town. Right now, I'm stationed in Klamath Falls, Oregon, working on broadcasting to the Pacific Northwest and British Columbia. I do intend to return to that town. I will probably return in the next five to ten years. If you ever write to me and the letter returns to you, resend the letter addressed to 'Odyssey'". Journal, one more thing he said was quite unusual, at the end of his letter he said, "Always keep your mind open. -Franklin Laivler"
Your friend and author, George Vickstone.
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)
Aaron Wiley
Pistachio

A good friend of mine proposed an idea a while ago that actually was very interesting, and made a lot of sense. He said that Eugene's professor from the episode "the perfect witness" was actually the chairman. It was a really interesting theory.. Let me see if I can find it.
"I strive to be an Elephant" - Odyssey Fan Wiley
Wretched Sinner
Lemon Meringue

Aaron Wiley wrote:A good friend of mine proposed an idea a while ago that actually was very interesting, and made a lot of sense. He said that Eugene's professor from the episode "the perfect witness" was actually the chairman. It was a really interesting theory.. Let me see if I can find it.

Wow. That is a cool theory
HannahJ.
Mocha Jamocha

He was a Chair and he was A Man LOL!
Why do nothing when you can Dance?
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

Operation Think Tank will enslave the human race, would you like a muffin?
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

God's Girl, that was Arthur Dent, not the Chairman.
Aaron Wiley
Pistachio

HannahJ. wrote:He was a Chair and he was A Man LOL!
You, my friend, are a genius.

Anyway, I found that theory by AIO Psyche.
AIO Psyche (from the TOO) wrote: Remember in the three part mystery episode, "The Perfect Witness"? The villain in the episode, Dr. Marcus, who worked at the college Eugene worked at, stole the research/paper that Eugene worked on. He covered this crime up by making it look like a random break in. He also hired two thugs to do his dirty work. All things that Novacom would do. However, the biggest shock is that Dr. Marcus sounds EXACTLY like The Chairman. Either its the same actor (which is what I suspect), or the two actors sound strikingly similar.

Anyways, I submit that Dr. Marcus is in fact, The Chairman. I will explain how this makes perfect sense.

1. Marcus stole something that he himself called "Brilliant work". Work done by Eugene. While I don't necessarily think that this was the Radio Wave study (Andromeda came to the college to do the work much later in the show), I do believe that the research, which we never find out about, was the seed from which the Radio Wave study grew.

2. This would explain why Andromeda, under the direction of The Chairman, had so much focus on Odyssey. Marcus wanted to exact revenge upon the town, the college, the very man whom put him behind bars.

3. It explains how Andromeda knew so much about Odyssey, Whit's End, Whit himself, even the Imagination Station. Marcus lived and worked in Odyssey, and was therefore perfectly in knowledge of Whit's End, the Station, and what it was capable of.

Here is my idea of what happened during and after the events of 'The Perfect Witness', leading up to the Novacom Saga.

One of Eugene's college classes required him to write a paper on a scientific matter. So he wrote his paper on an idea for assisting the handicapped, a notion that was perfectly suited to someone like Eugene. While not quite the full on Radio Wave study, I believe that Eugene scratched the surface of what became the Radio Wave study.

Unsure of his progress with the theory, Eugene went to Marcus for imput and critique on the idea. Marcus was shocked and highly impressed with the work the instant he read it. He called it brilliant. And brilliant it was. However, being the opportunist that Marcus was, he immediately recognized the potential uses for the technology. And with that, would come money, fame, and glory.

So, once Eugene finished the paper, Marcus plotted to steal it and present it himself as his own work, thus propelling himself out of this tiny, country town into farther, greater things which he so desperately wanted.

You know the rest of the story; the plot almost got off without a hitch, except for Jenny, whose blindness made her the perfect witness, and Marcus was caught and sent to prison. He lost everything, and worst of all, he lost his freedom. Marcus went to jail, and vowed revenge on Eugene, on the college, and on the town that he felt betrayed him after all his years of service to them all.

At first, Marcus did what any normal citizen who is out in jail for the first time would do. They try to get out, cause problems, and make examples of themselves.

Being in prison killed him inside. He was a scholar, a teacher after all! He had attended fine schools and made good money. Now he was reduced to this. His anger and resolve to get revenge on Eugene and Odyssey was born and solidified within the walls of his prison cell.

After weeks of walking around in a daze, reserving himself to his fate, he had an idea. An inspiration, actually.

He was reading in his cell, and his cell mate, who wasn't exactly the brightest bulb in the bunch, was asking him a question, and with Marcus being a highly educated and intelligent man, answered his cell mates question, and then used his superior intelligence to get the man to do something he wanted him to do, but without asking him to do it. The power of suggestion. Pure manipulation.

"Boy, I wish everyone was this easy to influence and manipulate," Marcus thought to himself.

Suddenly, like a lightening bolt, it hit Marcus. Eugene's research. What if maybe, just maybe, there could be a potential way to......maybe........reverse the idea and instead of a human communicating with the technology, the technology could communicate with the human, and in turn, influence them, even control them, to do anything.......

Wait, that's silly. He would need technology far beyond what was possible to manufacture. The idea of a machine being able to interface with the mind was impossible, light years away. Why, it was simply to far fetched..........

Wait. Yes, that's it! The Imagination Station!! Whittaker's machine did just that. He remembered hearing some of his students talking about the device, and what it was capable of doing. By golly, this just might be possible.........

And there, in a cell block hundred of miles from Odyssey, the foundation was laid for the Novacom Saga. He began to formulate a plan.........

Within a week, the guards noticed a change in Marcus. He became a model prisoner. He did extra work, was polite and helpful to others, and never complained once. Another inmate that seemed to straighten up almost immediately after Marcus did, was another inmate whom was close friends with Marcus. Marcus found out that he was locked up for corporate espionage. His name was Joseph Muntz. But he always went by Barry..........

Both inmates became angels. And within a few years, they both were granted parole, and left the prison. They went their separate says, their plans clear. Barry had work to do, and Marcus did too. Barry went off to Odyssey to lay low and follow of his instructions, and Marcus headed to Chicago. He arrived, and went searching for a man Barry had worked for once before, a man named Bennett Charles. Barry said that he could help Marcus with the first part of their plan.

Marcus found him, explained the entire scheme, and Bennett was instantly taken with the idea. Marcus had connections to an investment company based there in Chicago, called Andromeda Incorperated. He knew a couple of board members through his scholarly career.

Bennett, who lived in Chicago, was a hit man for hire in the big city. He had a way of getting things done. People hired him to collect debts, scare people away, steal secrets, or simply make people quietly disappear. He got things done. And he had a group of people who worked for him. He would be a good enforcer, and an asset for what Marcus was planning. So, after several days of secret meetings and intense planning, Charles set off for New York, and Marcus called his friends, and set up a meeting with the board of Andromeda.

The next day, Marcus walked into the board room of Andromeda Inc, dressed in his best suit, and with the support of his two friends, presented his idea for a technology that could assist the handicapped far more than anything ever conceived. He laid out the basic idea that Eugene had conceived in his paper. He claimed that the project was not only possible, but a guaranteed cash cow. The profits that a product like this would bring in was far more than they could dream of. The board was instantly in love. The potential profits filled their imaginations. It was all they saw. The board unanimously voted yes to Marcus's project. Including one of the boards oldest members, Armitage Shanks.

They agreed to fund the research for the technology, and Armitsge highly recommended Cambell Country College be the one to handle the research, much to Marcus's shock and delight. Armitage raved of Eugene, and the notion of a small college in a small town doing the work on a highly valuable project sat very well with Marcus. This kind of technology could easily leak out, but if it was done in a small town that no one has ever heard of, it would keep the project low profile.

So, Eugene was contacted by Andromeda, and asked to flesh out and research the idea. Of course, he accepted. His paper had finally done him some good, and was recognized for the brilliance that it was! "If only Dr. Marcus could see me now," Eugene thought.

While the research project was being set in motion, Barry was doing surveillance on Odyssey, the college, Whit, and Eugene. He kept tabs on all of this, and began relaying information to Marcus as things progressed in Odyssey.

Meanwhile, Charles was in New York. He had gone there to track down and gather together some key people they would need to pull this plan off properly. After about two months in New York getting the support and help they would need, Marcus, who was by this time a board member of Andromeda, called Charles and told him to move to Boston. He got him a job at Galaxy Enterprises, on of Andromeda's many subsidiaries. Galaxy was set up to oversee the acquisition of the radio and broadcast towers necessary to deploy the mind control technology they would eventually posses. However, they couldn't get all the towers they needed legally. Charles was to see to this, and depending on how he did there, Marcus would entrust him with more.

As the months went on, Marcus began instituting projects and acquisitions for the company that not only increased revenue, but earned him respect and influence in Andromeda as a board member. But Marcus wasn't satisfied being a board member. He had his sites set higher.

Almost two years later, the chairman of Andromeda died under mysterious circumstances, so there was a vote held. The board was almost unanimous on it's vote for Marcus to become the Chairman of Andromeda Incorporated. The one vote against Marcus, was Shanks. While Marcus became Chairman, from that moment on, he kept a close eye on Armitage.

Now, as Chairman, Marcus began to kick his scheme into high gear. Eugene was making excellent progress on the research, Charles was doing an all too well job at Galaxy, even getting rid of any potential problems they might have, or anyone who might suspect something. And he even had a plan to keep John Whittaker busy and distracted once Andromeda set up a presence in Odyssey.

Marcus's ultimate plan of mind control and revenge on Odyssey was well under way.

And the rest, you know from the show.

Of course, my theory is a hastily typed idea, that fleshed out, would make a riveting prequel to Novacom. It makes perfect sense to me, and could potentially be true.

What you guys think?
"I strive to be an Elephant" - Odyssey Fan Wiley
HannahJ.
Mocha Jamocha

Thanks Aaron!
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

Wow! That theory somehow fits, though I wonder where the Chairman is now...
HannahJ.
Mocha Jamocha

T.S. (myself) wrote:Wow! That theory somehow fits, though I wonder where the Chairman is now...
I know!
C-guy
Fudge Marble
Location: ►On the Lost island running from Rapid Rabbits Rashly Rushing Rapidly at me‼◄

HannahJ. wrote:
T.S. (myself) wrote:Wow! That theory somehow fits, though I wonder where the Chairman is now...
I know!
I don't know. Why did you make this character? If you want a theory, you'll have to wait...
862 comments and counting...
ImageLeader of the Quadruple T and Double C Club.

Check out 1 of the S.S.'s most popular topics: Ruin a Wish

Emily's Okay...
HannahJ.
Mocha Jamocha

C-guy wrote:
HannahJ. wrote:
I know!
I don't know. Why did you make this character? If you want a theory, you'll have to wait...
True very true ;)
C-guy
Fudge Marble
Location: ►On the Lost island running from Rapid Rabbits Rashly Rushing Rapidly at me‼◄

Who is the chairman? A robot. :shock:
862 comments and counting...
ImageLeader of the Quadruple T and Double C Club.

Check out 1 of the S.S.'s most popular topics: Ruin a Wish

Emily's Okay...
Wretched Sinner
Lemon Meringue

I think that the chair man is either
Betsy the Bumblebee or Richard Maxwell
HannahJ.
Mocha Jamocha

Wooton Bassett wrote:I think that the chair man is either
Betsy the Bumblebee or Richard Maxwell
I stil think he's a Chair and a Man…LOL
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

Wooton, please catch me up. Who is Betsy the Bumblebee? I was gone for the past few days.

Also, I believe that the Chairman must have created a secondary plan after his escape. Either a) he died while creating it b) he is still working on it or c) he is already unleashing it. I wonder what his plan is. Possibly to tap into an oceanic trench and cause a worldwide earthquake?
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

Wooton, Richard is also strangely fitting, although we may believe he accepted Christ. Let us pretend that Richard was overcome by bitterness after a gas station owner refused to sell him Skittles because of Richard's participation in Dr. Blackgaard's plot. He determines to exact revenge on them all and restore the name of Maxwell to its former place of esteem and glory. He begins work as a mere pawn in Andromeda, where he works himself to the top and is transferred to Galaxy Enterprises. He becomes a key person in developing the foundations for operation Think Tank, until his knowledge of both computers and Odyssey places him at the top. Blackgaard mentioned that Richard was guilty of far worse than changing the grades of a few egg-heads at the college. Perhaps Richard was capable of more than he gets credit for. Maybe his experience with Blackgaard changed him. Possibly, Richard vowed never to let anyone use him again, and determined instead to rule the world, and eat all the Skittles he wants. ;)
Wretched Sinner
Lemon Meringue

T.S. (myself) wrote:Wooton, please catch me up. Who is Betsy the Bumblebee? I was gone for the past few days.

Also, I believe that the Chairman must have created a secondary plan after his escape. Either a) he died while creating it b) he is still working on it or c) he is already unleashing it. I wonder what his plan is. Possibly to tap into an oceanic trench and cause a worldwide earthquake?
Betsy the Bumblebee is a movie in AIO that Lucy went to see.