The JRC (Jason rules club)

Do you think Matthew is a great character? Absolutely hate Emily? This is the place to discuss AIO characters, from the old to the new!
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

Ya I can understand and even agree with that. I was mostly saying it's not really a great character quality. It is a big important part of his character though for sure.
"Let me get this straight. I bet all those non-friends of yours try to embarrass you about your love for that stuff, right? So, you almost feel like you have to hide your treasures away and can only take them out in secret on rainy days when your mom goes to the store to get more liver and nobody is around to berate your sensitive spirit. Is that what you’re saying?" -Jay Smouse
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

I think qualities like that are the great qualities, though—they're double-edged swords. On the one hand, Jason values justice and pursues it stridently; on the other, that pursuit leads him into trouble if not curbed with Biblical wisdom and principles.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

TigerShadow wrote:
PennyBassett wrote:3. Ya, he does enjoy seeing justice fulfilled. But sometimes I think he likes it a bit too much. And that can get him into trouble. Things simply can't always be fair.
I actually really like that about Jason. It's a character flaw that he wrestles with, and it's one that I can identify pretty strongly with. Makes him more humanized and relatable, y'know?
Yeah, I wouldn't like him as much if he were perfect. (my goodness I'm so terrible at talking to people even on message boards I should just shut up)

-- Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:34 pm --
PennyBassett wrote:
GJFH wrote: 4. Ok, I'd like to take a bit of time to explain the problems with fanfiction. I write fanfiction myself and I'm not against it, but if you write or read about a character enough then your view of them can change. In Ameraka's (and really all Jason) fanfiction, he's shown as much more sweet and sensitive than he really is. Like I said I write fanfic about Buck Oliver and I do the same thing with him. I'm not necessarily saying that these characters can't cry or be sensitive and sweet but you can't use it as a reason for liking the character if it isn't shown in the audio drama.
Maybe I should stop writing fanfiction since it's inaccurate. I've been doing it wrong all this time!! I do imagine him this way..and I have to embellish sometimes because I don't know how he'd act all the time because I'm writing something that is separate from the show, I don't have models for all Jason's actions, I have to imagine him in new situations. [just ignore me I'm a sensitive and over-emotional INFP]

My book, Justice Lost, is on Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JM1XFCI
GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

Ameraka wrote:

Maybe I should stop writing fanfiction since it's inaccurate. I've been doing it wrong all this time!! I do imagine him this way..and I have to embellish sometimes because I don't know how he'd act all the time because I'm writing something that is separate from the show, I don't have models for all Jason's actions, I have to imagine him in new situations. [just ignore me I'm a sensitive and over-emotional INFP]
No. You should not stop writing. You are an amazing, talented, writer. One is who able to understand their characters well and flush out the depths of the personalities. Since finding your work I've always admired your style and the way you challenge the characters, which you make seem real, to grow and mature. Your story in the Fallout series, Echo is probably one of my favourites because you didn't ignore the fact Jason has weaknesses and is not a super human, you've made it clear he isn't perfect.
And guess what? I'm an INFP as well! *cries because she thought she was the only one*

And... I honestly think most of us are attracted to Jason because of his sense of adventure, his impulsivity and bright, charismatic personality despite what he's experienced. I can't pretend to speak for everyone here though I think I envy that a little, especially when anxiety takes hold.
Last edited by GJFH on Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us - Romans 8:18

It’s not enough to be against something. You have to be for something better. – Tony Stark
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

Yes I defiantly agree. That's what fanfiction is for. Putting a character in a situation that they've never been in before and showing how they would react in those situations. Showing the sensitive side to characters who are usually tough is the best part of fanfiction. And anyone who takes the time to study a character as much as you have with Jason, or as much as I have with Buck deserves to write about them. Because we know them better than anyone. We study these characters because they are fascinating. And we see past they're bold exterior so much that we can figure out things about them that no one else could. So well done. Keep at it. Because I think your writing is very accurate. And don't let anyone tell you that writing fanfiction is a waste of time or is useless because it's not. Why? Because any time you take time to write something with the goal of evoking emotions in others, you accomplish that goal. Because you are an outstanding writer. And it would be a huge waste to throw away that talent now.
"Let me get this straight. I bet all those non-friends of yours try to embarrass you about your love for that stuff, right? So, you almost feel like you have to hide your treasures away and can only take them out in secret on rainy days when your mom goes to the store to get more liver and nobody is around to berate your sensitive spirit. Is that what you’re saying?" -Jay Smouse
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

Wow, thanks guys. I really needed that. My doubts are at a high point right now (which happens occasionally--sometimes more ha) but I love writing and don't want to stop.

Sigh. Anyway, back to Jason....

PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

Yes, I understand and figured as much. Sometimes we all need a boost of confidence. I was also really emotional last night because I just saw the regeneration of the 11th Doctor. Anyway I was crying and it felt good to get my emotions out in writing.
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

Yes, writing is good for catharsis. (though I usually end up making my characters go through terrible things! I mean there's supposed to be conflict but I usually end up feeling sorry for them when I am the cause of all their problems. ;) )

Last night I had a dream that the writers were considering killing off Jason and I was mad at them--why would they do that when there were so many more of his stories to tell? I thought, if they do it I'll just have to keep writing stories about Jason to keep him alive.
I was so relieved when I woke up and found out it was just a dream. :)

Bananareader
Caramel Crunch

I really enjoy Jason because of his adventures side, and him being a spy.
Polehaus53
Cookies & Creme

As a member of the E.R.K., it is my duty to say that Emily RULES! Not Jason. :noway: :x

Joking aside, Jason is quite an interesting character. He’s had a very eventful life. Whether it be working for government agencies, working at Whit’s End, or running an antique shop, there’s been a lot of things that have happened to him.
One of the things I like about him is that he literally has connections everywhere. In “Find A Penny”, Jason calls up a mysterious “someone” (Who, you ask? “Don’t ask, he can’t tell you”, in Connie’s words.) and is able to find the moment when Wooton was drugged on camera. I'm sure there are a ton of other examples, but I can't think of any more at the moment. Jack said in “The Painting”, “You Whittakers! Is there anyone you don't know?” to which Jason replies, “Um... no! Not really.” It’s pretty cool and pretty funny at the same time. :lol:

I also like how Jason can be very calm in the face of danger. Making fun of the people who want to kill him, giving sarcastic remarks, it’s hilarious! Pretty brave, I suppose. Or foolish, not sure which one, but it’s certainly entertaining. :lol:

One of my favorite Jason episodes is Accidental Dilemma. As I said, his calm, flippant attitude towards the danger he’s in is quite funny. His sarcasm and jokes at The Whisperer always make me laugh. I also like him in the “Home Again” episodes. His interactions with Connie, Wooton, and Penny are fun to listen to. I liked hearing him running the antique shop in the episode “Fathers and Sons”.

Overall, I think Jason is a great character and I’m interested in what the AIO Team is planning to do with him in the near future.
-Signed, PolehausFifty-three

Member of The Emily Rules Klub (est. 2012)

“We have it translated in every language: (กฎของเอมิลี่, Emily es la mejor, 艾米莉规则, Emily Quy tắc!, エミリーは最高です, emilyyay ulesray!, Эмили Правила!, Emily é a melhor, एमिली नियम!, Emily est la meilleure!, إميلي هي الأفضل!, Emily Kuralları!, אמילי שולטת!, Emily Regeln!, 에밀리 담당!, Si Emily ang pinakamahusay!, എമിലി രാജ്ഞിയാണ്!, એમિલી નિયમો!) that Emily RULES!”~The E.R.K.