Jack Allan, and a Thing Called Ducktales

Do you think Matthew is a great character? Absolutely hate Emily? This is the place to discuss AIO characters, from the old to the new!
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Jack Allan, and a Thing Called Ducktales

My role model is a grumpy duck. If that expression sounds unfamiliar, that’s because it’s not, I speak literally.
Uncle Scrooge, Donald’s Uncle, as many of us know, is voiced by none other than Allen Young. I though I’ve loved both Scrooge and Odyssey from childhood, until I got into the Odyssey trivia world, I never knew of this special link between them.
Yessir, that's my role model.
"Well, that explains a lot."
Oh, be quiet.
Even so, how can a grumpy duck be anyone’s role model?
As a child, (okay, as a younger child) my mom bought me a seemingly innocent Donald Duck comic featuring Uncle Scrooge. I was an avid Donald Duck comic fan, but the Uncle Scrooge was a new character for me. As it turned out, Scrooge was in practically every other Donald comic, and was often the star.
And any reader likes him. He’s rich, but can’t stand to spend. He hoards billions of his money into a giant building called “The Money Bin.” And he protects it from burglars unceasingly.
As I grew older, I loved Scrooge more and more. As CS Lewis put it, the truly good children’s books are those we enjoy more as we grow. Scrooge built his fortune globe-trotting and fighting, the old way and then, the only way. Cattle herding, treasure hunting, prospecting. He fell madly in love with a bar girl named Glittering Goldie, but he wasn’t like other children’s literature figures. No happy ending for him. Though they loved, their paths led them to very different shores. And he kept building his monetary empire. He fought outlaws, blazed trails, travelled deserts, crossed continents. Scrooge is the ultimate American, a fearless capitalist entrepreneur and a stickler for freedom.
I could say, “they’re so much more” than comic books. But they’re not. They are only comics. That is their strength. They don’t need to be more. A comic can have a special power, as a true art. They can be innocent, charming, full of wisdom… and they can inspire you.
At first, a reader cannot understand Scrooge. In his first appearance, he growls, “Me, I’m different. Everybody hates me, and I hate everybody!” He’s funny, but unlikable. He’s also very odd. “I dive around in my money like a porpoise! And burrow through it like a gopher! And toss it up, and let it hit me on the head!” You have to get to know him. It’s a process, a journey, just like with a real person. For make no mistake, true characters are real people in their way. “You see, all this money means something to me. Every coin here has a story… this silver dollar, I made that in Klondike… You’d love your money too, boys, if you made it like I did. By thinking a little harder than the other guy… by jumping a little quicker…”
Like Scrooge, Jack Allen spent much of his childhood in Scotland before moving to America (though he was born in the US.) After moving back, he followed his passion to become an actor, and even started his own TV show. Like Scrooge, he battled his way higher and higher. As he grew older and busier, the show went down in quality and was cancelled. But something beautiful came out of it. Allan Young started working in cartoons… And stumbled onto his most famous role. A grouchy duck. And, of course, he also became another old character on a show called Adventures in Odyssey.
Once, we were listening to A Name, Not a Number, and Mom remarked, as Donovan chewed his Scottish lines, "It's Uncle Scrooge."
We all laughed. "It is Uncle Scrooge!" My siblings chortled
And... he is.
A true duck lover knows there’s many connections between Odyssey and Duckburg. Besides the very star of duckdom, Scrooge, as mentioned, being done by the one and only Alan Young, there’s the character Ludwig Von Drake. Also a duck who interacts with Donald, Scrooge and company, he’s a nutty Austrian professor who in one episode convinces the character Launchpad that he’s “cuckoo.” He hosts the Disney Singalong series, as well as appearing in various cartoons and comics. He was voiced for a time by a guy called Walker Edmiston, then Corey Burton inherited the role.
And I’m not done. The major Ducktales character Gyro Gearloose, inventor extraordinaire advice giver and problem solver, is voiced by a random Hal Smith.
At home, Scrooge, always voiced by Allen Young, stars in Ducktales, one of the finest Disney cartoon series of all time, with Donald and Gladstone, Huey Dewy and Lewy, and the rest of the duck crew. He appears in The House of Mouse Disney series (incidentally, in that show, Willy the giant from Mickey and the Beanstalk is voiced by some bloke named Will Ryan and various Disney characters are done by some person called Corey Burton, and few assorted voices are done by Jess Harnell. Ever heard of em?) Ironically, abroad, Scrooge is far more famous than at home, a cultural icon, appearing everywhere in merchandise.
But all cartoon character’s stories have a beginning. And here is Scrooge’s.
Born in March 27, 1901, a man named Carl Barks struggled to make a living, working as a farmhand, cowboy, muleskinner, lumberjack, printer, all with very little success. But he discovered his passion, cartooning, and after bumpy start (a risqué magazine) went to work concept artist for Disney, which delighted him. Even though he was working with a character called Donald Duck, a bit player who didn’t show up much. He helped develop stories and characters, but had little power over what actually ended up onscreen. Here, he helped breath into life Huey, Dewy, and Louie for the cartoon Donald’s Nephews. But Barks wanted to do more. To create.
And so, when offered the chance to a cartoonist for Disney’s Comics and Stories, he jumped for it. He was assigned exclusively to draw the ducks to which he was accustom. His love for them shined through, and the comics launched into selling more than all DC comics do today. He married, but his wife disdained Barks’ work. Eventually, it ended in divorce and his two children lived with their mother.
However, in 1947, something beautiful happened. Barks, simply to provide a plot for a Donald Duck Christmas special Christmas on Bear Mountain, invented Scrooge McDuck. Scrooge, later to be Donald and Huey, Dewy and Louie’s fellow traveler in cartoon and comic, here gave them a “Christmas present” in order to scare them to death. He had a lot of growing to do, but he was born.
Barks’ health declined, but the company demanded more and more work. As Barks grew older and older, this grew torturous. One of the glimmers of light in his life was his second wife, Clara, who loved him dearly. But his health declined further, and he retired in 1966, though he was persuaded to continue to do comics for Western.
It is all the more fascinating, among such hardship, that Carl Barks made comics that make generations of duck lovers laugh. Who inspires people to pursue their destinies. And, unknowingly, created a magic bridge between the two greatest children’s universes in the world.
Yes, my inspiration is….
Oop! How did that get there. Ahem. No no. This is him:
Last edited by Pound Foolish on Fri May 03, 2013 12:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Metal15
Peanut Butter Cup

Lol, I used to watch Duck Tales all the time. Good show. And I knew that Allen Young voiced Scrooge, but I didn't know that Hal Smith voiced Gyro.
I'm the leader of the KRE, the group dedicated to countering ERK the Emily-centered cult. Join either team, you'll have a blast.

My Youtube channel --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa8Nt7 ... ILthNNlUww

Feminism is cray.

FREEDOM!!!

Music FB page: https://www.facebook.com/louismusicdefinitelyofficial/
Samantha14
Mint Chocolate Chip

A. This post wins. Indefinitely.
B. Ducktales wins. Indefinitely.
C. EMILY RULES!!! Indefinitely.

Alright, now that that's out of the way. Ahem.
I really enjoyed this post. Not just because it was about one of my favorite shows, characters, actors, and the fact that you used my picture... 0=) ;) Haha. But, just the all around idea behind it.

To me, Allen Young will always be one of the top, and best actors out there. No matter what. He brought life and meaning to every character he played. But no one could beat his two best characters; Scrooge Mcduck, and Jack Allen.

I always love hearing about how so many of our favorite and most known voice actors/actresses were already somewhat of a family in other areas of media. Especially when those areas were our favorite classic Disney cartoons. It always gives us the memories of what things used to be, and still are. ^_^

(Well, that and I always remember giggling with my sister over Scrooge the agent in A Name Not A Number ;) )

Great job once again, Bestest. I really enjoyed this. ^_^
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

Ah... an amazing post. The best one I've read on the SS since the "Golden Age" of debate and discussion, when you, T.S., and Aaron were making the greatest posts in the SS's history. And that was over 6 months ago. Hey, this has nothing to do with this topic, but we should totally make a "Top 10 Greatest SS Posts In History" list. But anyway, this topic inspired me to research Ducktales, as well as never eat roasted duck again. Thank you, PF. I say there should be more topics as interesting as this one!
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
Samantha14
Mint Chocolate Chip

CreativeThinker101 wrote:as well as never eat roasted duck again.
xD I'm sorry, but that was just great.

And true. o_0

Plus... WHAT. You've never heard of Ducktales? I'm sorry, you poor, deprived creature. But seriously. =p

Pound Foolish, should we brain-wash him or leave him as he is?
Joy
Raspberry Ripple

I've heard of ducktales, and wanted to watch it, but it's one of those things that I've forgotten about. I do think that it's just wonderful that Alan Young played two very iconic characters. It may be that no one knows about him, but us Odyssey fans will forever remember him as Jack, and some of us will remember him as Scrooge. :)
I really liked your post, PF! Thoughtful, and long.
And now, off to watch DuckTales!
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Sammy, who's never heard of Ducktales? No one's posted that. As to Alan Young (it's so hard not to mix that up with Allen...) he's certainly one of my favorite actors. And he's such a big part of my life. He is so funny in Ducktales, and nails the emotional moments too. And the moments that are both...
"Bubba find coin. Give to Scooge."
"Bless me kilits. No one's ever given me all their money before."
Thank you for you thoughts, besty. And I heartily agree with one of your statements in particular... Emily RULES! Indefinitely, and forever. Emilyyy-Emily, we adore... sorry.
Mr. Thinker, your words are quite flattering. I do miss when TS debated with me... (hint hint if you're reading this.) And all that other once-upon a time SS stuff. Just remember, Aaron and TS and me aren't the only ones who, ahem, used to make good posts... yours are amazing too. And as to the list idea, I'm not sure who or how we would make that list. But we should. It would be so fun. Ahem, and I'd be on it of course.
Thanks for posting, Joy. Do try a Ducktales episode or two. They're on Youtube, and quite fun.
I still can't get over how magical it is that I fell in love with these two shows as a chid... and they both stayed with me... and they both had Hal Smith and Alan Young in such huge roles. It's like a small miracle. It links my heart with little yellow brick roads.
Aren't those awesome, Frog Face?
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Samantha14
Mint Chocolate Chip

Hahaha, those ARE awesome! Also, CT. He just said that he had to research it. I guess I was jumping to conclusions. However, you can't blame me. That's what it sounded like. =p
Joy
Raspberry Ripple

I've watched a few Ducktales! I practically flipped when I heard Gyro Gearloose/Hal Smith come on. For the first few minutes, I didn't recognize him, but then came a moment when he was so clearly Whit, that I had to skip back to the beginning of the scene to watch it again.
Aaand, Gyro Gearloose is a cooky inventor. See a connection?
So, yes, I'm enjoying it enormously.
Starflower1234
Cookies & Creme

I remember the time that I first watched Ducktales and was like "Wait a minute, that's Jack Allen!" I'm pretty sure I also recognized Hal Smith, but I'm not absolutely positive. I did enjoy Ducktales, though in some ways I find Uncle Scrooge's greed/love of money a little disturbing. I love watching movies and TV shows that have actors from Odyssey in them. Like in Andy Griffith show. It's still kind of hard for me to believe that Hal Smith played the town drunk (sorry, I temporarily forgot his name) in Andy Griffith. And the time when I heard Paul Herlinger's voice on a video about the universe in the Creation Museum. (Again, I forgot what those things are called. It's where you sit in a kind of circular theater and look up at a screen and it has videos about space. I wish I could remember the name!) And listening to Will Ryan's voice as Petrie (I think that's how you spell it...) in Land Before Time. And hearing Andre Stokja's voice in Winnie the Pooh as Owl. It kind of makes whatever I'm watching more special to me.
I made a promise, Mr. Frodo. A promise. "Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee." And I don't mean to. I don't mean to. - Sam from The Fellowship of the Ring movie
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you! - Sam from The Return of the King movie
Debbigail4life
Vanilla

K, so I've been watching Ducktales(the reboot and old one) for SUCH A LONG TIME, and seriously, Dewey, Webby, and Della have a HUGE IMPACT on my life! They taught me to be myself and let my true personality and creator shine through. They also taught me that I AM A LITERAL INCARNATION OF ALL THREE OF THEM BECAUSE I HAVE LITERALLY THE SAME PERSONALITY AS ALL OF THEM COMBINED!!!!!!!!!
Dewey and Webby Forever

Loubby Shippers: It's never gonna happen.

Debbigail4life
Vanilla

I remember the time that I first watched Ducktales and was like "Wait a minute, that's Jack Allen!"
I could tell the second I heard Scrooge say "A SEA MONSTER ATE MY ICE CREAM!!!" A SEA MONSTER ATE MY ICE CREAM!!!!"
Dewey and Webby Forever

djchatswithu
Cookies & Creme

For over a year I've been working on a list of which AIO character would play which role in various Mostly Disney, tv shows movies, based on roles they actually played, as well as character and personality similarities. one of them is for Ducktales (the 2017 version).
Jack Allan as Scrooge (OF COURSE!!!)
Whit as Gyro Gearloose (the inventor)
Matthew as Huey (the brainy one)
Everett as Dewey (the one who wants to know the truth about Della)
Jay as Louie (the one who wants to be rich and famous 'the easy way')
Emily as Webby (likes solving mysteries and discovering new things)
Tasha as Mrs Beakley (if you've heard 'the Rydell revelations", You'll get what I mean)
Harlow as Launchpad (they're both act before they think)
Bradford as Duckworth (the loyal Butler who's happy just doing his job)
Wooton as Donald (bit odd, looked down by his family, aka Wellington)
Wellington as Gladstone (donald's wealthy cousin who coudn't stand being his brother)
Thelma as Della (seperated from her kids)
Bart as Flintheart (runs his business differently to Scrooge/Jack)
Penny as Daisy (because Wooton is Donald)
Monic Stone as Goldie O'guilt (bit of a wild card, not quite trustworthy but could be one day)
Monty as Fenton/GizmoDuck ( mother doesn't know secret life, until he lands in hospital, also aspires to be like Gyro/whit)
Dalton as Lunaris (the villain who starts out nice and is partly why della is missing so long)
Eugene as Goofy (played the role a couple of times)
tell me what you think, hopefully I didn't miss anybody!
Debbigail4life
Vanilla

Hmm, I like the layout for the kids, however, so...I'm kinda a Debbigail shipper(deweyxwebby 2017) and I don't exactly see Everett and Emily get together. For one thing, isn't Everett in Africa right now?? Plus, the way this is going, Webby would get married to Huey(eww gross...) and that doesn't seem right at all. Huey's like her older brother, not her SOULMATE. DEWEY, on the other hand, is way more compatible with Webby in tons of different ways. But that's just my opinion. I mean, IT'S NOT LIKE THEY MAKE THE PERFECT COUPLE AND EVEN SING IN HARMONY AND ARE BEST FRIENDS OR ANYTHING!!!!

Yeah, totally not at all... :noway:
Dewey and Webby Forever

djchatswithu
Cookies & Creme

Debbigail4life wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:11 pm
Hmm, I like the layout for the kids, however, so...I'm kinda a Debbigail shipper(deweyxwebby 2017) and I don't exactly see Everett and Emily get together. For one thing, isn't Everett in Africa right now?? Plus, the way this is going, Webby would get married to Huey(eww gross...) and that doesn't seem right at all. Huey's like her older brother, not her SOULMATE. DEWEY, on the other hand, is way more compatible with Webby in tons of different ways. But that's just my opinion. I mean, IT'S NOT LIKE THEY MAKE THE PERFECT COUPLE AND EVEN SING IN HARMONY AND ARE BEST FRIENDS OR ANYTHING!!!!

Yeah, totally not at all... :noway:
I totally agree that the Dwebby/Dwebbygail thing would work, it's just In this case I was matching the characters individually rather then as a group, and Everett seemed to fit best. as he seemed to be a bit energetic and curious about his past, much like Dewey. I was thinking that either Jimmy Barclay or Isaac Morton as Dewey would work with Emily as Webby as a couple. or maybe Dwayne Oswald, or even Marvin Washington! I dunno!
Bananareader
Caramel Crunch

Another interesting fact is that in Mickey's Christmas Carol, Alan Young voiced Scrooge Mcduck ( which isn't really that surprising), Hal Smith voiced goofy and Will Ryan voiced , Willie the Giant, Pete, etc. Alan aslo Voiced Mickey Mouse, and Merin in the record An Adaptation of Dickens' Christmas Carol, Performed by The Walt Disney Players, which the animated short was based off. Walker Edmiston played Willie the Giant in the record version. here is an link to the record version https://youtu.be/QI8ySKzySpg
Bananareader
Caramel Crunch

I also enjoy finding actors who play in Adventures odyssey who also played in Disney cartoons.
djchatswithu
Cookies & Creme

Bananareader wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:26 pm
I also enjoy finding actors who play in Adventures odyssey who also played in Disney cartoons.
Check out 'other things the actors have done". you may be able to add to the list.
MasterLink4eva
Strawberry
Location: The Warner Bros. Water Tower with Yakko, Wakko, and Dot.

Tomorrow's the DT Reboot Finale...God help us.
Wooton: Penny?
Penny: Yes?
Wooton: Will you marry me?
Penny: *gasp* WHAAAAAAAT?!?!?! O.o
THIS MOMENT MEANT THE WORLD TO ME :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:
I love Rueben :)