Common words and phrases that drive you crazy.

If it doesn't pertain to Adventures in Odyssey, you've stepped into the right place! Grab a chair, and talk about your favorite books, TV shows, join a debate, or just be random!
Makado
Vanilla

^oh yeah, the word "epic" was a thing a couple years ago where I live too!! Annnoying...
One thing I also hate is those cliche captions people do on Instagram and other social media, like, "hanging out with THIS gir," "my bae." Gahh!!

-- Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:42 pm --

*this girl :P
Novatom
Raspberry Ripple

"Shut up" bugs me. My brother has started saying that.
17:39<Novatom>: I'm in another boat. A boat of people who don't know what everyone's talking about. A boat that is sinking.
17:40<Sameriazx>: oh no... here we go again...
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

Novatom wrote:"Shut up" bugs me. My brother has started saying that.
I love getting to see you and CT talk about/with each other. :P It's funny to get your perspective now that CreativeThinker has been around for a while.

Two of my professors have funny things they will say when working out a problem. My probability professors refers to formulae as "guys." For example, "and now we will insert each of the x and y values into this guy." He also has a tendency to bring up random stories during lectures, which I enjoy.

My other professor will always say "Okay" after he finishes a problem. If he stops working one midway to explain something, and then continues, he says "so, so" before saying anything else.
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

We had a kid on my math team in eighth grade who did stuff like that; he called the variables "this guy" and would be like "this guy goes with this guy". He would emphasize "this" in this really weird voice, and it was really funny to see him get so erratic about it. We also had the running joke that he would make tables for all his problem-solving needs ever since he announced one day that "I...made A TABLE".

It's not a word or phrase, but the song "Want U Back" by Cher Lloyd is really annoying. =/
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Novatom
Raspberry Ripple

When my violin teacher finishes explaining my assignments for the next week, she'll say, "Is that okay?" and when I say yes she makes a big cheesy smile: :mrgreen:
17:39<Novatom>: I'm in another boat. A boat of people who don't know what everyone's talking about. A boat that is sinking.
17:40<Sameriazx>: oh no... here we go again...
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

I have a new one! \:D/

Previously, I didn't think "Okay" could be an annoying word, but I've since changed my mind. I just had an interview with someone who kept interrupting me by saying okay after every few words. I don't mind if people say something occasionally when I'm talking to show they're following along, but this was excessive and extremely distracting.

"So then" Okay "I took several" Okay "career exa-" Okay "-ms to find out" Okay "what I might want to" Okay "work in." Okay
Bethany Shepard
Moose Tracks

YAS. I hate that, T.S.

One of my peeves is when people sing "you," they almost always say "chew." (I blame my voice teacher for this peeve!) Listen for it. I guarantee you'll hear it.
"I am not a demon. I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther.
I want to be Bob Denver on acid playing the accordion."
-Nicolas Cage
HomeschoolCowgirl
Peach Cobbler

In Kid's Choir at our church, we had one song that had "put you" or maybe "at you" in it -- I don't remember exactly, it was a few years ago -- and the choir teacher made us practice not "chewing your words -- you don't have gum in your mouth. And if you do, spit it out!" She was lots of fun. :mrgreen:
"Musical training is a more potent instrument than any other, for rhythm and harmony find their way into the inner places of the soul... making the soul of one who is rightly educated, graceful" -- Socrates
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

Everyone at my workplace uses "goody day" instead of potluck, and I cringe every time I hear it.
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I dislike all small talk in general because they have predetermined responses. Like "how are you doing" has a generated response like "I'm fine" or "I'm good." I do my best to skip all automated phrases and get straight to the point or some other entertaining observation. Life is too short for small talk. :mad:
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
Mr. Clever
Cookies & Creme

Miss Friendship wrote:I dislike all small talk in general because they have predetermined responses. Like "how are you doing" has a generated response like "I'm fine" or "I'm good." I do my best to skip all automated phrases and get straight to the point or some other entertaining observation. Life is too short for small talk. :mad:
Preach it queen!! I literally was just talking about this with someone. I met with my youth pastor for coffee and was like "I am not a regular dude. I like deep conversation and emotions." Small talk is almost completely useless. It can only be used like in an elevator with a stranger. If a stranger asks me how I'm doing I'm usually not gonna be like "OMG I am just having a horrible day. Like my emotions are taking over..." But small talk, like you said, has produced the "Doing good" and "I'm fine". That's why when I ask someone how they are doing and they say that I'll be like "Oh but honey, how are you actually doing? You don't look fine!"

Also another dumb excuse is "I'm just tired." Like I know people who have been like low key depressed and I want to help them but they say "Oh I am just tired.' And tbh I have used it. But I hate that excuse. :anxious:
“We all change. When you think about it, we’re all different people, all through our lives. And that’s okay, that’s good, you gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be. I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I swear. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.” - Matt Smith
Wretched Sinner
Lemon Meringue

I really dislike it when people say "doggo".