The SS family web

If it doesn't pertain to Adventures in Odyssey, you've stepped into the right place! Grab a chair, and talk about your favorite books, TV shows, join a debate, or just be random!
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

AuntSarah wrote:I just read the whole thing and I am very confused this thread is almost as confusing as my real life family :oops:
Indeed. It got very complicated quickly, which is why the original tree idea didn't work. Hopefully with the changes it will be possible.
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
Blitz
Moose Tracks

I'm yo Uncle SW... On both sides...
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

Blitz wrote:I'm yo Uncle SW... On both sides...
It's true that you could normally infer that with real relationships, but at least for the SS web I think we shouldn't make deductions like that, because otherwise the web would just be lines connecting people to every single other person.

Basically, I'm only considering relationships that are specified to exist. So because Tiger and I decided to adopt Paula and Ox (and they agreed), they're out daughter and son. Helios is Ox's sister, but her relationship is only defined with Ox, so unless all of us agree on adopting Helios into our family unit, she's not considered as being Tiger and my's daughter by deduction.

I'm not sure exactly how it will work out, but I'm hoping this will make everything less complicated. This change should allow everyone to build their own set of relationships without having to worry about the rest of the board. Otherwise we'd run into all sorts of fun issues like inbreeding and genetic bottlenecks. :P
Mickey
Peach Cobbler

I am a poor orphan as no one has adopted me or became my sibling :cry:
Proud K.R.E Member
Blitz
Moose Tracks

@TS
We actually decided that on the chat one day.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

Update! I was talking on the ToO chat with Court, and she suggested a site called Mindmeister that allows the user to create a mind map of sorts. I tried it, and it's close to what I need, but it doesn't allow me enough control in linking between people.

This afternoon, I experimented in Excel, and I think it's possible to build the web there. I haven't used Excel for a project like this before, but at least so far it's worked well. It does take a bit longer than I would like to insert and modify links between users, so it will probably be a while before the web is complete.

Basically, I've been entering in people's usernames one by one into cells, inserting lines to indicate a relationship, and coloring the line based on the relationship type. I set the background as white, so the gridelines aren't a problem. Here's my work so far:

I'm very open to suggestions as far as the design of the web. My guess is that I'll have to redesign it at least a couple of times in order to organize everything smoothly. I'm thinking about setting the background as a different color and putting everyone's usernames in white bubbles to make the web easier to read.
Mickey wrote:I am a poor orphan as no one has adopted me or became my sibling :cry:
:( You should try asking someone; I think there would be a lot of people that would like to be related to you. Just let me know if you find someone and I can update the web.
Blitz wrote:We actually decided that on the chat one day.
Ah, okay. I've updated the spreadsheet.
Didi
Cookies & Creme

Mickey wrote:I am a poor orphan as no one has adopted me or became my sibling :cry:
I can be your dear sister \:D/
"I was born with white vans on"
"Vans weren't even popular when you were born"
K.R.E.
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

Here and here are the next versions of the web! Does anyone have a preference between them?

I created bubbles for each username, to which I attached the lines indicating all of their relationships. It's a lot easier to change the organization of the web now, because I just have to move the bubbles and the lines follow. I tried to place the people with the most relationships at the center of the web, as you can see with Connie and Miss Friendship.

I still think there's opportunity for improvement, so I'm open to suggestions. One thing I'm thinking about doing is coloring the bubbles depending on the gender of the person.
Didi wrote:
I can be your dear sister \:D/
Your siblingship has been added to the web! =p
Connie G.
Peach Cobbler

Isaiah the Ox wrote:Nobody. I was born from two rocks. =(

Mystery Girl and I are married and divorced... and going back and forth in our relationship. =p
Tea, your first web depicts Ox and MG in a parent/child relationship.

And I like both of your webs :wacky:
Strength for today, and bright hope for tomorrow.

"Why does Connie shower all of the time?" ~CGM_Games
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm going to leave it like that until I make a new relationship category.

Here is a version with colored bubbles for usernames. Blue is female and green is male.

I took the liberty of adding in a few more old relationships from the Google doc. Suzy and PF are still unrelated to the main web, but they have more connections now.
Rosy
Cookie Dough

If I can, I'd like to add in that I am Sam's sister...

And I guess I'll add PF as a distant relative. Unless that makes it too messy.
꿈. 희망. 전진.
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

Sure, I'll add both of those in. In general, the web isn't too difficult to edit, but sometimes I have to shuffle things around a bit.

Edit: the web has been updated. Pound Foolish & co are now connected with the main web.

The new relationship option "it's complicated" has been added. Perfect for people with a complex and dramatic history! \:D/
Rosy
Cookie Dough

Oh, I completely spaced on this, but I'd also like to add M&M as my (and Belle's) cousin. (Sorry M&M :anxious: )
꿈. 희망. 전진.
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

MnM has been added to the web, and I made the distantly related color a little lighter. http://imgur.com/a/tnTUH

What's your avatar/signature from?
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

Pound Foolish is my evil twin. I just remembered that.
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

There's only a regular twin category, so I'll have to use that. Everyone knows you and Pound Foolish are evil though, so there shouldn't be any confusion. :P

That's going to take a little more reorganizing, but it should still work.

Speaking of twins, Countess, how are you twins with two different people? o_0
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

I'd like to formally recognize MnM as my cousin.

Also is there anyway to note that both pf and ts are my exes?
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

That's good. I updated the relationships table as well.

It's probably a good idea to have an exes category. I'm experimenting with using a dashed purple line. I added myself and PF as your exes, and I decided to throw in fodo and Suzy for good measure. =p I also changed Isaiah and GJFH's relationship to exes just to simplify things.

Updated web
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

T.S. (myself) wrote:Speaking of twins, Countess, how are you twins with two different people? o_0
*beams* I'm special.

So Paula and I were born on the same day, but Ox and I are literal blood twins. \:D/

I could mention that I was also married to Wakko according to Belle, but... he is my father. *cough* so ignore that one. O.o
T.S. (myself) wrote:I also changed Isaiah and GJFH's relationship to exes just to simplify things.
You probably mean Mystery Girl. ;)
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

Miss Friendship wrote:So Paula and I were born on the same day, but Ox and I are literal blood twins. \:D/
oh. Okay. =p
Miss Friendship wrote:I could mention that I was also married to Wakko according to Belle, but... he is my father. *cough* so ignore that one.
Yeah, let's stick to one relationship only between two people.
Miss Friendship wrote:You probably mean Mystery Girl. ;)
Oh, thanks for catching that. Yes, I do mean Mystery Girl.