Owl City

If it doesn't pertain to Adventures in Odyssey, you've stepped into the right place! Grab a chair, and talk about your favorite books, TV shows, join a debate, or just be random!
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

Owl City

I think this topic could bring up some interesting musical discussions, so here goes...

I believe most of you have heard or heard of a one-man band called Owl City. He (Adam Young) has been composing music, originally on his computer, for several years now. He has almost singlehandedly written such fascinatingly quirky electronic dance beat hits such as "Fireflies" and "Hello Seattle". I haven't heard a ton of his songs, only several. I believe that, from what I've heard, Ocean Eyes is his best album by far. It was his breakout album, and is far superior to his new album, The Midsummer Station, which includes rather lackluster, un-Owl City kind of songs such as "Good Time". I believe the charm in Adam's music was that it was something very different, very fresh, appealing to a modern audience. The dance track "Dreams and Disasters" off his new album is quite enjoyable, but "Good TIme" is a disgrace to Owl City. It will fade in popularity, as it is a forgettable, sloppily-written song. But I won't rant. I still think that Owl City has accomplished some great things, and I do hope they keep making albums. I just hope they stay true to the amazing, electronic sound that they had in Ocean Eyes. What do you guys think of Adam and his one-man band?
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
the Valiant
Caramel Crunch

I, personally, strongly dislike Owl City. BUT I do agree with you that 'Good Times' was not up to his usual standards( actually, I really hate that song). I am actually friends with someone whose whole family was very close to Adam and Adam was part of a band with him and his older brother I believe...I don't think it went very far at all.
Aaron Wiley
Pistachio

I personally really enjoy all of Adam's work, including his newest album. He went out there and made the music he felt like making whether people said he was being "true to himself" or not. I think he's a really incredible person, and is really talented when it comes to electronic (and other genres) of music. I'll admit that his style can get repetitive at times, but I don't mind sitting down and listening through my Adam Young playlist every once and a while.
"I strive to be an Elephant" - Odyssey Fan Wiley
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

Fine, Aaron. I do think it's admirable to shift styles and try something different. But I honestly think his shift was for the worse. His new album seems to me like a desperate attempt to make something really successful by mimicking other artists.
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
Aaron Wiley
Pistachio

The thing is, there couldn't be anything further from the truth. I follow his blog, and unless he's just a straight up liar, he only decided to do a pop album because that's the style of music he liked writing for a time. I've heard his even newer stuff, and he's gone off in a different direction again with some more punkish sounding stuff http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GknwrcWcQWI, and of course, he's still holding onto his roots with new songs like "Beautiful Mystery" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml4qVrWX ... re=related
SparkyHappyGiraffe
Fudge Marble

Okay this topic has dissapeared, but I say that he has amazing musical talent, and could go further than JB any day!
Odysseygirl101
Cookies & Creme
Location: Somewhere between Oz, Marus, Burke, Atlantis, Narnia, Tatooine, Chewandswallow, Avonlea, and Odyssey

I definetly like his voice, but I haven't heard that many songs, so i don't really have an opinion yet.
Oz the Great and Powerful is Great and Powerful!!!!
Samantha14
Mint Chocolate Chip

I've only heard a couple songs...
I don't remember what they were, So, I can't say...
Nelson S.
Mint Chocolate Chip

I really love Owl City! The style of music, his voice, his beliefs. Despite what some people think, I consider him a Christian artist. Which makes it even better for me!
SparkyHappyGiraffe
Fudge Marble

I believe him to be a Christian. Has anyone heard his amazing version of "In Christ Alone"?
godisawesomeness99
Raspberry Ripple

SparkyHappyGiraffe wrote:I believe him to be a Christian. Has anyone heard his amazing version of "In Christ Alone"?
That's the best version of in christ alone!

(except maybe newsboys)
here from time to time....

Psalm 73:24
Joy
Raspberry Ripple

My brother said his version of In Christ Alone is one of the new non-rock versions.
I think Adam Young to be a Christian.
Adam was the first artist I started listening to, so I used to think he was the best. However, now he's just pretty good. There are others that are better.
SparkyHappyGiraffe
Fudge Marble

I know there are better singers, but I love it when I find someone with such unique talent!
Here's a great picture I found of him. (I like having pictures of people when I talk about them for some reason)
Adam.png
Adam.png (257.36 KiB) Viewed 5612 times
Attachments
Adam.gif
Adam.gif (43 Bytes) Viewed 5612 times
Aftershocker
Mocha Jamocha

Is Owl City Christian?
^^ Props to Belle ^^
Waldo
Raspberry Ripple

Yes, I believe so AS. I mean he doesn't sing only Christian songs, but he is a Christian, to my knowledge.
Odyssey Fan Wiley
Aftershocker
Mocha Jamocha

Why would a Christian sing a song saying that it's a good time all the time?
^^ Props to Belle ^^
Nelson S.
Mint Chocolate Chip

Having a good time doesn't always mean something bad.
Aaron Wiley
Pistachio

...Having a "Good Time" should RARELY mean anything remotely bad.

Why shouldn't Christians sing about enjoying life?
Victoria
Strawberry

I think what AS is saying is that a christian of all people does not have a good time, ALL the time.. life gets hard sometimes. The times aren't always good or enjoyable.

If that is what you mean AS, you have a good point.

I like Owl City, they have a unique sound to them and I personally like it a lot! Though I don't think their lyrics are something to be raved about, their sound is great!
"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power." Ephesians 6:10 <3

My best friend and I have a blog, check it out! http://bestieswithablog.blogspot.com/
Nelson S.
Mint Chocolate Chip

If Owl City wasn't a Christian, why would he sing this song?
Just to get money? I doubt it.
He was interviewed by Plugged In. You can hear it here: http://www.pluggedin.com/pio/layouts/Au ... ge=Podcast