The Hobbit

If it doesn't pertain to Adventures in Odyssey, you've stepped into the right place! Grab a chair, and talk about your favorite books, TV shows, join a debate, or just be random!
Wretched Sinner
Lemon Meringue

JUST WENT TOSEE THE HOBBIT ON FRIDAY (along with Lincoln)

IT WAS AWESOME. It was sooo different from LOTR. Almost all of it was down with computer animation and it was toned WAAAAAY down from the LOTR trilogy.
Liz'alike
Cookie Dough

I HAVEN'T SEEN IT YET! I want to go see it this week, but tis the season to be busy, busy, busy!
the Valiant
Caramel Crunch

OH my WORD. It was amazing! It's scary how happy it made me that they sang "Misty Mountains Cold" even if it was only the first few verses.
Liz'alike
Cookie Dough

SHHHHHHHH! I haven't seen it yet! Don't spill the beans!
SparkyHappyGiraffe
Fudge Marble

Val, I know that song by heart. LOL
I went and saw it and absolutly loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My favorite scenes were the riddles in the Dark and the end fight scene :) My dad thought Gollum was creepy... I didn't.
Liz'alike
Cookie Dough

ABBY! SHUUUUUUSSSSSHHHHHHHH! lol
I guess I don't have to read this topic, but I can't keep away!
SparkyHappyGiraffe
Fudge Marble

Liz if you've read the book you would know that those scenes would be in there.
Arkán Dreamwalker
Pistachio

I'm going to see it today for my Birthday. Image
~ Walker in Dreams
Liz'alike
Cookie Dough

SparkyHappyGiraffe wrote:Liz if you've read the book you would know that those scenes would be in there.
I know, I just was jealous that everyone had seen it!

I saw it today! IT WAS AWESOME! It was all that dreamed it would be, and then some! It was BEAUTIFUL!

I won't talk about my favorite parts, because I don't want to ruin it for those who haven't seen it yet... But I loved it!
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

I just saw this movie today. My words to describe it? Average, mediocre, lackluster, merely good. I realize many of you will disagree with me and say, "You're wrong, CT! It was EPIC!" But this "epicness" was one of the key issues I had with the movie.

I felt as if the heart, feel, and theme of J.R.R. Tolkein's classic prequel were squeezed out of this movie with special effects and fake emotion. The novel was a simple, fast-paced, classic adventure story with loveable characters. Peter Jackson, however changed the movie to make it a full-blown epic, complete with extended battle sequences and visual stunts that you could see in any other fantasy movies.

It was almost as if the screenwriters just took the first 6 chapters of The Hobbit and lengthened them, reshaped them, and demolished them to turn them into something that completely lacks the simplicity and fast-pacedness of Tolkein's tale. For me, this strategy failed "epicly". The entire book could have been made into one 3 hour movie quite easily, and it would have been great.

I believe Jackson felt he had to make the movie a certain length (around 3 hours) and so he took the book to its absolute limits, turning it into an epic much like LOTR that it wasn't meant to be. (I realize I already said that, but I'd like to get my point across. ;))

As I said before, most of the special effects failed to impress me. This is probably because I haven't been impressed by any graphics or visual effects since I was around 8 years old, but also because I've seen all these ol standbys before. The battle sequences were well done for the most part, but they weren't Tolkeiny in the least bit, they were Jacksony. That's probably my biggest complaint for this movie: It was all Peter Jackson. Peter Jackson could've easily taken Tolkeins book and sticking to the heart of the story while giving it his own spin. But, alas, this is not what he did. Jackson took a plot that was crafted by Tolkein and made a movie that had almost no hint of Tolkein in it at all, only Jackson, Jackson, Jackson.

All that being said, The Hobbit is not an awful movie. It boasts great acting by everyone involved, (particularly Martin Freeman who put on a stunning performance of Bilbo and truly captured the character, even if Jackson did not capture the spirit of The Hobbit) and the party scene at the beginning was brilliant. However, the flaws are inexcusable, and so, if I were a movie critic, I would award The Hobbit 2.5/5 stars, or 5/10.
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
SparkyHappyGiraffe
Fudge Marble

What a naïve little child you are CT. You just don't understand a good movie, do you?
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

Poor Sparky. She's been sucked in by the special effects and now believes The Hobbit is better than it actually is. ;)

Also, just to clarify, I do think The Hobbit is a good movie. Just not a very good movie, or a great one. I believe I used the words "merely good" to describe it.
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
SparkyHappyGiraffe
Fudge Marble

What is a great movie CT? (Just PM me so we don't bother everyone with our arguing)
fodo14
Raspberry Ripple

Mmm I agree with CT........... Woah... Thought I'd never say that. It was a good movie. Not AMAZING or mind blowing. Just plain good. And it didn't have that charm the LOTR had........ Know what I mean. But over all I loved it...... But it's still just good. I think the other two will be even better.... Hopefully.
Nelson S.
Mint Chocolate Chip

I loved it!! I think it's better than the LOTR trilogy! (Maybe because I've seen all three of them way too many times!)
fodo14
Raspberry Ripple

Nelson S. wrote:I loved it!! I think it's better than the LOTR trilogy! (Maybe because I've seen all three of them way too many times!)
Ben.... I think it's cause you've seen LOTR to many times. The Hobbit was not better. Let's put it this way... It wasn't Best Picture like the LOTR won.

-- Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:28 pm --
Nelson S. wrote:I loved it!! I think it's better than the LOTR trilogy! (Maybe because I've seen all three of them way too many times!)
Ben.... I think it's cause you've seen LOTR to many times. The Hobbit was not better. Let's put it this way... It wasn't Best Picture like the LOTR won.
Nelson S.
Mint Chocolate Chip

I think it was better. You stick with your opinion, and I'll stick with mine.
fodo14
Raspberry Ripple

Nelson S. wrote:I think it was better. You stick with your opinion, and I'll stick with mine.
Ben I was discussing...... That's what your support to do on Fourms.

Anyways I did think the Animation was amazing. But I missed the amazing costumes the orcs had in the LOTR... And there Mack up...
Bethany Shepard
Moose Tracks

I love The Hobbit with every ounce of my being! And I'm gonna smash my face on a rock until I can watch the next one! I think that they picked the most perfect person to do Bilbo! Martin Freeman ROCKS! :D
"I am not a demon. I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther.
I want to be Bob Denver on acid playing the accordion."
-Nicolas Cage
Liz'alike
Cookie Dough

Well, CT... I agree with Abby! I think the movie was awesome, and I really don't know what you are talking about. Of course, this is coming from someone who doesn't even look at the "quality" of the animation and effects.... So, I suppose I can understand, I just don't agree.

I also thought it was cool that they put some "history" into the Hobbit. I know they added to the story plot, but I also think it explains some things before entering LOTR. I like how the whole plot just flowed... A lot of movies don't these days.

And, the scenes were BEAUTIFUL!!! The New Zealand landscape was as stunning as ever!

Overall, I would give it a 9 to 9.5 out of 10....