Are you home schooled?

If it doesn't pertain to Adventures in Odyssey, you've stepped into the right place! Grab a chair, and talk about your favorite books, TV shows, join a debate, or just be random!

Are you home schooled or are you public schooled

home schooled
86%
public schooled
5%
private schooled
9%

Total votes: 86

godisawesomeness99
Raspberry Ripple

I used to go to a public school, but now I go to a priviate school, and it's been so awesome!
here from time to time....

Psalm 73:24
Joy
Raspberry Ripple

More on this later, but I am not a happy camper.
Fodo, high five for being part of the special club of people who despise homeschooling, who wish it never happened. So far, it's just you, me, and my brother. Oh well.
I may not have time to do a huge post on this, but let me tell you: I've wanted to go to public school since I was in first grade.
Addressing PF on the social life thing: My mom doesn't even have time to give us a social life. We used to go to a home-school group. But no longer. My mom works 5 days a week, maybe more, doing her run-from-home website business. Basically, I've been taught by the computer since kindergarten. Just this year, we've escaped BJU, which I've done since kindy, and gone on to a more favourable curriculum. But does this mean I'm happy? Not a chance. I have a total of two friends who live near enough to see regularly. Both are good, Christian girls, and both go to public. My brother has zip friends that live near him, though he's got a good bunch from church. The only friend who lived in his area collapsed this year, and died.
Both of us have pleaded with our mom, and she knows well enough that we've got no social life. Compile all the time we've spent trying to convince my mom to let us go would probably amount to hours, perhaps days.
My mom has talked to the counselor for the nearby highschool. From what I can gather, it's a very good school.
I have a humongous amount of time. Yet am I happy with it? Am I happy that all I do for the entire day is read and go on the Internet, because my school takes like an hour and a half? I want to find a hobby, but most are too expensive, or not my thing. School takes up time, which is what I want. It gives you sports and after-school activities. Ice skating, hockey,soccer, clubs, teams.
And then there's the future. A "degree" from homeschooling gets you into a Christian university, easy. But the fact is, I know where I want to go, and what I want to study there. I want to be a vet technician. It's hard to get into a regular university with a piddly homeschooling degree. You waste time and money. To get a homeschooling degree translated also takes time, and more money. Which, from what I can see, my family doesn't have a lot of.

Hey, these aren't cold hard facts. These are assumptions, calculations, viewing from experience. I also might've offended people with it, which I apologize.
It might not be that much of an argument, and most of this could probably be refuted. But to the point,
I despise homeschooling, and getting out of homeschooling is the 4th thing on my Christmas list, besides a puppy or a horse or riding lessons.
Mara
Pistachio

I'm homeschooled!!!
the Valiant
Caramel Crunch

I hate being home schooled. It stinks like cheese.
Rosy
Cookie Dough

Joy, I totally understand where you are coming from. Do I ever get lonely from lack of friends? All the time. But to me, being lonely is a thousand times better than what I went through in public school. The 5 years I went to public school were terrible, especially the last year.
꿈. 희망. 전진.
Joy
Raspberry Ripple

Yay, a club of four. Welcome, Val.
I've never heard a single bad thing about the local public school, and the highschool is good too. Basically, it depends where you live and what school it is.
There actually used to be big problems with drugs and stuff, but it's changed now, and the school has cracked down.
Actually, there's Wednesday night church-or-whatever-they're-called meetings at the highschool, and quite a few students go. I forget what they're called. But they have a band, and a good speaker, according to my brother. He went because it's open to the community.
NinjaThrowingStar
Raspberry Ripple

I am homeschooled.
Last edited by NinjaThrowingStar on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What is forever..? I shall see you again. Just after the mist has faded and time has stopped, over on the other side. Enjoy your journey and I'll enjoy mine.
Renae
Fudge Marble
Location: ....I'll be in a different place every time you read this....

T.S. (myself) wrote:I thought that You go to School Where would portray homeschoolers a lot worse from all the negative comments about it. Really, I didn't find it insulting when I kept it in perspective. Sure, it didn't portray us closely or well, but the writers tried their best with the information they had. I think they should have done a little more research and interviewing, and they could have had a better result. As for the Shepards, the writers purposely give very little information on their day to day life. I assume that that was to prevent people from being offended, but in reality, it simply made it appear like the writers were intentionally avoiding it, which is rather humorous after they went to so much trouble to bring the Shepards in to the show. When Aubrey began attending public school, it seemed rather on the forged and forced side to me. Although I am not Mr. Shepard or Mrs. Shepard, it appears like they made the decision lightly, without conversation with their daughter to learn the details of WHY she wanted to attend public school. The writers could have made the episode more realistic by having Erica encourage Aubrey to do something else besides join public school so she could skip it, perhaps smoke, or lie.

Anyway, I believe that homeschooling can be more efficient, but then we must deal with other things that cannot be attained with a larger class size, public speaking being one of them. However, I thought it would be good to mention a good friend of mine. She took all possible advantage of her public school system, and is getting an excellent education (I have her beaten in math and science, though). She is a diligent worker, and is very organized and eager to learn. As a result, she will have a great start in the world. All in all, I would say that the main way to get a good education begins with YOU and ME, and not the system, although there are certain advantages to either side.

One more thing. I do not, by any means, wish to offend or damage anyone's internal or external emotions, but there is one thing that I have heard a few times which really disturbs me. When I mention to people that I am homeschooled (mostly to the "Where do you go to school" question), I have heard the response "Oh. Well that's lucky."

Excuse me? We have given up most of our social lives, we work at our subjects just as hard as anyone else, and have to live in close quarters to the rest of our family roughly 22 hours a day, seven days a week, four weeks a month, twelve months a year, ten years a decade...you get the picture. It's not lucky, do you have any idea how hard we work, how long we labor, to keep not only our school going, but our relationships, both with God and each other, going? We may get more sleep, and have more time, but it is most certainly not "lucky". You have no idea what I would pay to have a quiet workplace free of interruptions, or just five minutes away from my siblings. You see, homeschooling is not the easy way out, it is a commitment, the influences of which stretch throughout a life time. Homeschooling deals not only with school, but also in relationships. There's no free lunch, everyone has to work, and there are always upsides and downsides to a choice. For example, I have more free time because of homeschooling. On the downside, much of that is spent watching little brothers, or praying to God for strength to help me from blowing my top, (or something worse).

In conclusion, I think that AiO should not give up on homeschooled characters, rather, they should put more effort into portraying them correctly. I think that you can get a good education out of any system, just so long that you start with yourself. And if you meet a homeschooler, please, never, ever, use the word lucky! Thank you.

T.S. (myself)

hahah T.S. :D I did like your speech, but I just wanted to put it out there that Private school is NOT all that much of a blast either. Yes, you have friends and you don't have to constantly watch your siblings, but there are disadvantages to private school as well. For one, as you mentioned, I wake up at 5:00 in the morning and trust me IT SUCKS! For another thing, some of the people you'll find there often times make you want to NOT have a social life. You also mentioned that "homeschooling deals not only with school but with relationships." Are you imagining that Private school is not that way as well??? And about the free lunches...ummm no. We do have to pay for them :D
I have shed soooo many tears in stuff pertaining to my school. My father is the principle of my school, and the stuff he has had to deal with is absolutely traumatizing. You would not believe how little pay my father gets; its absolutely shocking. My oldest sister gets a higher paycheck working at a tea company than he does.
anyways...this was just to clarify :D haha:D private school and homeschooling both have there ups and downs :D I have done both :D
Renae: Faithful companion of Drama King, aka Jimmy Barclay.
Starflower1234
Cookies & Creme

I am homeschooled, and have been all my life. I would never switch to public school. For one reason, I am not very good at talking to other people. Because of my personality, I am not very social in real life. I currently go to a homeschool co-op every Friday, and am beginning to make one or two friends, but it's still very hard for me. For that reason I am very glad that I am homeschooled, and am not forced to be around other kids that I don't know well almost all day Monday-Friday. I don't think I have it super easy, but I do feel lucky, or blessed, to be homeschooled. My mom gets to read educational books to us, and learn with us. I get to learn at my own pace. I get to use an awesome highschool curriculum which is based on Proverbs 31. I get to go to an awesome homeschool co-op that is Christian. Most, if not all, of my education has Christianity in it. I do have to spend most of the day with my siblings, but in some ways I think that is better than being separated from them for most of the day. I can help my siblings with their schoolwork. For me, personally, there are very few if any cons of homeschooling. I can understand why other people may not enjoy it, especially if they want to be around more people, and I'm not offended that they don't like homeschooling, but I love it. :) I especially like that I can do whatever English projects I want, like writing a fanfiction story from AIO. I can also get a Practical Agriculture credit once my family's farm gets going because of the curriculum I am using. Those are definitely pros to homeschooling for me. :)
I made a promise, Mr. Frodo. A promise. "Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee." And I don't mean to. I don't mean to. - Sam from The Fellowship of the Ring movie
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you! - Sam from The Return of the King movie
SparkyHappyGiraffe
Fudge Marble

Homeschooling rocks!!! Want to know why? Because 90% of public schoolers I know are jerks, and i don't understand being called "non-social" I'm social I just don't care to be around people. There's one kid in our church who always says we won't understand certain things because we are non-social homeschoolers. And I'm fine with the friends I have because the more I meet kids my age the more I become like Bilbo (Or I start not wanting to be around other people if you didn't understand my Bilbo refrence).
Joy
Raspberry Ripple

Like I keep on saying, you guys must live on a different planet!
All the public-schoolers I've met, aside from perhaps a small few, are great, awesome people! I know some public-schoolers from Music Theory class are really nice, I've met a few of my friends friends, they all seem great! I don't hear bad stuff about school either, so the school here must be really good, or the public schoolers in everyone else's area must be awful.
And to tell you the truth, you guys are stereo-typing public schoolers as much as they sometimes stereo type us.
gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

JoyfulG wrote:Like I keep on saying, you guys must live on a different planet!
All the public-schoolers I've met, aside from perhaps a small few, are great, awesome people! I know some public-schoolers from Music Theory class are really nice, I've met a few of my friends friends, they all seem great! I don't hear bad stuff about school either, so the school here must be really good, or the public schoolers in everyone else's area must be awful.
And to tell you the truth, you guys are stereo-typing public schoolers as much as they sometimes stereo type us.
u must live in a good town! i went to a public school in kindergarten. 2 diff ones half a year at each, and i had a bully already in the 2nd one but guess what in my 1st one i had a Christian teacher!
"Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts." - Jeremiah 15:16
SparkyHappyGiraffe
Fudge Marble

Joy, I didn't say all public-schoolers just the ones I know. I'm sure there are some really nice ones out there, but almost every public schooler I met seemed nice at first and then they've shown me what they're really like. Also my parents have told me bad stories of when they went to public schools so I'm fine right here in my house on my own scedual.
Joy
Raspberry Ripple

I don't really get where you are coming from, even now, Sparky. I met a bunch more public schoolers at a babysitting course, and there was one girl who was fun and funny. Others were simply quiet and nice. It really depends on the area, but I feel that I'm so lucky to live in such a great area, yet I can't go to public school.
Fili
Caramel Crunch

I went to a private school and hated it and I love homeschooling
I was Bart rathbone
in the character klub
Mara
Pistachio

Charter schools are also really good. I've homeschooled and been to a charter school and liked them both.
Last edited by Mara on Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metal15
Peanut Butter Cup

I'm homeschooled, and very happy about it. :)
I'm the leader of the KRE, the group dedicated to countering ERK the Emily-centered cult. Join either team, you'll have a blast.

My Youtube channel --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa8Nt7 ... ILthNNlUww

Feminism is cray.

FREEDOM!!!

Music FB page: https://www.facebook.com/louismusicdefinitelyofficial/
Bethany Shepard
Moose Tracks

Is there another way to be schooled? JK :lol:
"I am not a demon. I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther.
I want to be Bob Denver on acid playing the accordion."
-Nicolas Cage
theempireflagship
Vanilla

yes i am homeschooled as of right now but i am going to a private school next year. super excited to meet new people!!!!
Samantha14
Mint Chocolate Chip

I've been homeschooled since the 4th grade and I love it. Whether it's because I get to work at my own pace, it fit my schedule, or I don't get bullied for loving school/being me, I cannot decide. However, I love it all the same. =)