Anyone have an opinion on MCU Spider-Man?

If it doesn't pertain to Adventures in Odyssey, you've stepped into the right place! Grab a chair, and talk about your favorite books, TV shows, join a debate, or just be random!
EnderWarrior36
Strawberry

Anyone have an opinion on MCU Spider-Man?

just answer honestly
screeeeeeeee
truAIOfan
Cookies & Creme

Eh...okay. I don't mind Tom Holland, but I prefer Toby Mcquire's Spiderman.
“Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God.” -Corrie Ten Boom
Scientific Guy
Cookies & Creme

truAIOfan wrote:Eh...okay. I don't mind Tom Holland, but I prefer Toby Mcquire's Spiderman.
HOW DARE YOU??? O.o Tom Holland is the best!!
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

I'm only gonna pull so many punches here—I hate the MCU take on Spider-Man.

Don't get me wrong, Tom Holland is great for the role, and there's a lot of stuff there that's great conceptually and/or completely divorced from the context, but the MCU's Iron Man worship has been getting on my nerves since roughly Captain America: Civil War and has only gotten uglier the longer it goes on, and it permeates every aspect of the series' take on Peter Parker. The MCU Spider-Man isn't Spider-Man; he's Iron Man Junior With Web Shooters. So many elements that are essential to the mythos of Peter Parker as a character—his poverty and status as a working-class hero, his ingenuity and independence from the rest of the Marvel cast, his relationship with Uncle Ben—have been chewed up and spat out as more Iron Man propaganda. There's no recognition of how toxic that relationship is, no regard to how Tony Stark has once again swallowed up an entire portion of the Marvel universe in Disney's never-ending quest to make the original Iron Man trilogy irrelevant.

(That's not even going into how angry I am that we can have funerals and murals for the whiny entitled hypocrite and spend hours and hours grieving him when Black Widow hasn't gotten a thing. Stay classy, Marvel.)

Into the Spider-Verse portrayed a more compelling and true-to-the-text version of Peter Parker in a film that wasn't even about him than the MCU did in 23 movies. Wish Sony had stuck to their guns, because Peter Parker is better off as far away from Kevin Feige as possible.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
truAIOfan
Cookies & Creme

First of all, I can't believe I spelled Tobey Maguire's name wrong. :x

I will admit that Tom Holland plays the "teenage Spider-Man" role much better than Tobey Maguire did, because Tobey Maguire did not even look like a teenager when he played Spider-man.
However, I prefer how Tobey plays the character of Spider-Man compared with Tom Holland. Honestly, I think that is because I relate more to Tobey's version of Spider-Man than to Tom's.
TigerShadow wrote:The MCU Spider-Man isn't Spider-Man; he's Iron Man Junior With Web Shooters.
I hadn't thought about that before, TigerShadow. The more I think about it, the more I think that Spidey's character has/is being prepped to become the new version of Iron Man.
“Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God.” -Corrie Ten Boom