Music Suggestions

If it doesn't pertain to Adventures in Odyssey, you've stepped into the right place! Grab a chair, and talk about your favorite books, TV shows, join a debate, or just be random!
User avatar
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle
Posts: 4818
Joined: February 2015
Location: Somewhere beyond you
Contact:

Music Suggestions

Post

Hi everyone, here's another thread you all can ignore.

As most of you know, I grew up rather... sheltered, and I'm finding that has harmed my knowledge of good music. I have no idea how to find music since I'm not aware of the names of artists, singers or songs. SO. I'd love your suggestions of singers, artists, particular song favorites, and every genre is welcome. Yes, even rock. :P

What do you all listen to anyway? o_0 #thisshouldbeinteresting
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
User avatar
Blitz
Moose Tracks
Posts: 3787
Joined: February 2013

Post

What kind of music do you like? I would point you to Ashes Remain and Nine Lashes.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
User avatar
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha
Posts: 2654
Joined: June 2014

Post

I'm rather fond of Nightwish, but being as that's symphonic metal, it might be a bit...much. :anxious:

OneRepublic is good; a lot of their stuff is pretty chill, and the lyrics are almost always clean. Some of Taylor Swift's songs are nice, too, in that "rom-com cutesie-fluff" sort of way. I like Daughtry; they're hard rock, and a lot of their songs are really catchy and the lyrics are great. If you're looking for instrumental music, Two Steps From Hell and Audiomachine have some epic orchestral scores, and John Williams has composed some great movie soundtracks.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
User avatar
Kathy0
Cookies & Creme
Posts: 466
Joined: September 2016
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow

Post

I like OneRepublic also! :) its a very good choice. Another good one is Image Dragon. :D I love them! One of my other favorites is Coldplay. You have probably already heard of them. :) I like LOTS of songs. I mean I never really like ALL of someone's songs. I have quite the verity. :D I mean i like Taylor Swifts songs, Moroon5 and Justin Timberlake. Yup lots of different ones!
Image
User avatar
GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup
Posts: 1587
Joined: January 2016
Location: Writing my way out
Contact:

Post

Ooh! What a pleasing topic, dear Countess.

I also like Imagine Dragons and One Republic. Both of which create modern light rock, and generally, I find write clean music. On occasions when I want something more exciting, I might listen to Lorde, Birde, or Laurel. Three individual indie artists. :yes: The style of music is quite different than what is currently popular...yet it is nice sounding.

Twenty One Pilots might be my favourite band. :D Tyler Joseph and Josh Dun are followers of Jesus, and many of their songs allude to Christ himself though they've never specifically labelled their music as Christian. I believe, the reason being, they desire to reach a larger, more diverse audience of broken people. Their music is a combination of rap and punk, sometimes indie. :wacky: Since I've begun talking about rap, I also suggest Beautiful Eulogy, Oregon based worship group who produces Christian rap, praise and worship, and hip hop. Their music is lovely, and their messages poetic. :inlove:
For instrumental, I suggest Sleeping At Last.
I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us - Romans 8:18

It’s not enough to be against something. You have to be for something better. – Tony Stark
User avatar
Emma
Peach Cobbler
Posts: 1410
Joined: August 2014
Location: Procrastinating, to be sure

Post

A few completely clean, awesome bands are:
Reliant K
Hawk Nelson
Family Force Five
Hillsong
Twenty-One Pilots

Hope those help out your playlist! :D
User avatar
Audrey
Cookies & Creme
Posts: 404
Joined: January 2014
Location: Twin Cities

Post

THIS IS MY THREAD. I am so ready. I don't know if any of you are ready for this long post, though.

I'm sure you're overwhelmed with twenty one pilots suggestions, so I won't bother going to into it, but they really are quite good. And very clean!

I loooove all sorts of music! I'm a huge indie/alternative fan, though I'll listen to anything. I'll be honest though: I don't really care about the content of my music language wise, so some of these artists may have some explicit songs. Oh, and if you're looking for ways to find music, I would 100000000000000% recommend Spotify. I've found so many good artists through their Discover section. Also, follow me. Ayraykay <3 I've marked what bands I believe are pretty clean, just in case.

Since I'm pretty sure I'm one of the only indie people on the SS, I will overload you with alternative music to make up for no one else doing it! xD

Artist Suggestions! These are bands that I've been loving/have loved where most every song I think is good. I tried to describe the genre too xD

-Bad Suns (AHHH i love them. Upbeat alternative/rock music, very little cursing, wonderful humans.)
-The neighbourhood (kind of a rainy sad day type of music, depending on the song it can be clean or explicit. But oh my gosh they're so good, I've seen them in concert four times. I'm obsessed.)
-Bastille! (Alternative I guess? You might have heard their song Good Grief or Pompeii on the radio, but all of their albums are wonderful and clean.)
-Imagine Dragons (Same as Bastille, but you've probably heard Radioactive. Clean.)
-The Civil Wars (they have since disbanded, but their music was so good! I don't even know how to describe them, I would just listen, haha. Clean, I believe.)
-Day Wave. <3 Some of my favorite summertime music. Clean.
-Glass Animals (If you like music with a LOT of production, they're the band for you. Listen to their new song Youth and you'll know what I mean. Cleanish, I believe.)
-Jack Johnson (I grew up on his album In Between Dreams. It's soft guitar music, few instruments, and him singing. It's very calming and that album is absolutely wonderful, in my humble opinion. Clean.)
-The Kooks (garage band alternative rock. Their album Inside In Inside Out is by far their best, I grew up on that too. Clean, or at least that album is)
-Paramore (Rock. The band members are Christian as well, so their songs are clean)
-SNCKPCK (The cutest ukelele music you'll ever hear. The singer is adorable and his songs aren't the best musically, but they're cute and make me happy. Clean)
-Two Door Cinema Club (Electronicy Alternative and catchy as heck. Tourist History is one of my top 5 favorite albums of all time. Clean)
-White Lights (a unknown artist I found on Soundcloud, but his music is on Spotify. It's just...interesting. I don't know what genre it would be though. Not clean, but it does depend on the song. My favorite is Sleepyhead, which is clean.)

Okay and just because I love music: some songs off of my December playlists I'm enjoying.

Degrees of Light - Taylor Mcferring (oh my gosh I looooooove this. No words, just...ugh I don't know how to describe some of the music I listen to xD It's not electronic and it's not alternative so I guess just indie. Clean, obvs.)
Guillotine - Jon Bellion (he's opening for 21 p and I love this song! Clean.)
Guru -Coast Modern (catchy as heck. Clean.)
Sleep Apnea - Beach Fossils (clean, I think)
just cuz you cant - pronoun (Explicit but it's just one word)
Redbone -Childish Gambino (I looove Childish Gambino but he's mostly done explicit rap in the past. This is much different and internesting and it's something I didn't think I would like, but it is a certified Audrey K jam. Explicit.)
Fire Escape - The Gloomies (Alternative and Clean and Catchy. My favs.)

I would recommend making a Spotify account (the basic version is free!) and looking up everyone's suggestions! Spotify shows the most popular songs of an artist so that would be a good place to start to see if you like it. You can explore by genre, mood, etc, and I guarentee you'll find something you like. I couldn't recommend it any more.

Anyways, sorry for the long post but hey, new music!
An owl and a squirrel are sitting in a tree, watching a farmer go by. The owl turns to the squirrel and says nothing, because owls can't talk. The owl then eats the squirrel because it is a bird of prey.
User avatar
Wretched Sinner
Lemon Meringue
Posts: 3066
Joined: May 2012
Location: Next to a volcano! (Seriously!)
Contact:

Post

So I'm into music, like REALLY into music. When discovering music it's good to set the foundation by listening to the classics, find out what you like and then expand your tastes from there. Here are some suggestions to get you started off.

Rock
  • Pink Floyd**
    Led Zeppelin
    The Rolling Stones
    Radiohead
    King Crimson**
    David Bowie
    Neutral Milk Hotel
    Arcade Fire
    Slint
    The Who
    The Zombies
    The White Stripes**
    Queen
Singer/Songwriter
  • Sufjan Stevens
    Nick Drake**
    Bob Dylan
    Johnny Cash
    Leonard Cohen
    Van Morrison**
Metal
  • Metallica
    Megadeth
    Black Sabbath
    Tourniquet** (one of my favourite bands, and they're Christian too)
    Iron Maiden
Pop
  • The Beatles
    The Beach Boys**
    Michael Jackson
    Weezer
Jazz
  • Miles Davis**
    John Coltrane
    Charles Mingus
    Vince Guaraldi
    Ryo Fukui**
    Herbie Hancock
    Erick Dolphy
Post-Rock (this kind of music isn't really for everybody, but I included it because I find it relaxing and it helps me study)
  • Talk Talk**
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor
    Sigur Ros
** indicates some of my all-time favourite artists

If there are any artists on this list that interest you, I could give you album suggestions or also suggest similar artists or bands.

There really are some good hip-hop artists out there, but due to the excessive language I'm not going to list any here. If hip-hop is a genre that interests you, shoot me a PM and I'll give you some recommendations.
User avatar
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle
Posts: 4818
Joined: February 2015
Location: Somewhere beyond you
Contact:

Post

Hey thanks everyone. This is just what I needed. And especially thanks to WS and Audrey. Ill check some of these out and get back to you. And I do have Spotify. Just haven't known what to search for yet. :P
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
Helios
Butter Pecan
Posts: 2937
Joined: November 2013
Location: Stealing your place in the sun

Post

Linkin Park and Starset. Breaking Benjamin. Hollywood Undead (Lion and Outside, mostly.) t.A.T.u. Christina Perri. Jupiter. Kansas. Three Doors Down. If you dare. :twisted:
Image
User avatar
Blitz
Moose Tracks
Posts: 3787
Joined: February 2013

Post

*Points at Helios*
I like most of those. If you feel like you want to listen to something hard that isn't mindless, I'd say Disturbed. Most of their songs are clean. Not all. Sound of Silence is an amazing song, and its totally clean. I'd like to point you to Starset to. Sabaton is a cool band also. They do sing mainly about war so yeah I don't think that would fit with you. Within Temptation is another one of my favorite bands, and they are totally clean. And so it goes on.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
Wakko
Pistachio
Posts: 1075
Joined: May 2012
Location: Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Post

I'm the other indie person on the band along with Audrey, so I'll be suggesting similarish stuff, also will probably have some explicit stuff (with warnings).

From Indian Lakes - Everything Feels Better Now and Absent Sounds are two really solid electronic indie rock albums, highly recommended, clean.
COIN - All of their music is really fun indie pop rock, another one of my faves.
Jon Bellion - electronic rap music, I believe he is a Christian, but he does have some explicit songs.
Chance the Rapper - another rapper who's a Christian but has some explicit stuff, but his music is super great.
Spark Alaska - They only have one album, but it's really good acoustic indie stuff, clean except for a few minor swears.
Jack and Eliza - They just put out their first album, really cool indie rock with some definite 60's and Beach Boys influences, pretty sure it's clean too.
Rusty Clanton - More indie acoustic stuff.

I tried to avoid just restating what Audrey said, but I also recommend a lot of her stuff, especially Childish Gambino's new stuff.
User avatar
Wretched Sinner
Lemon Meringue
Posts: 3066
Joined: May 2012
Location: Next to a volcano! (Seriously!)
Contact:

Post

Wakko wrote:I'm the other indie person on the band along with Audrey, so I'll be suggesting similarish stuff, also will probably have some explicit stuff (with warnings).

From Indian Lakes - Everything Feels Better Now and Absent Sounds are two really solid electronic indie rock albums, highly recommended, clean.
COIN - All of their music is really fun indie pop rock, another one of my faves.
Jon Bellion - electronic rap music, I believe he is a Christian, but he does have some explicit songs.
Chance the Rapper - another rapper who's a Christian but has some explicit stuff, but his music is super great.
Spark Alaska - They only have one album, but it's really good acoustic indie stuff, clean except for a few minor swears.
Jack and Eliza - They just put out their first album, really cool indie rock with some definite 60's and Beach Boys influences, pretty sure it's clean too.
Rusty Clanton - More indie acoustic stuff.

I tried to avoid just restating what Audrey said, but I also recommend a lot of her stuff, especially Childish Gambino's new stuff.
Chance is great. His music just sounds so happy. Do you listen to Kendrick? He's Christian as well.
User avatar
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip
Posts: 3584
Joined: May 2012
Location: Michigan

Post

I don't listen to much music, but I'll give some of the suggestions here a try. I can confirm that Two Steps from Hell is fantastic, though. \:D/
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
User avatar
Audrey
Cookies & Creme
Posts: 404
Joined: January 2014
Location: Twin Cities

Post

Ooh, I'm totally going to go listen to your suggestions, Wakko! I actually haven't really heard any of Chance's stuff, I didn't know he was Christian tbh. But thanks for suggesting music for me too, even by accident haha!

Edit: I totally recommend COIN though (I missed them opening for Bad Suns because they were at an 18 and up club TWO DAYS BEFORE I TURNED EIGHTEEN (i'm sorry i'm still bitter but ugh and bad suns were playing their new album too and i've only seen them twice with their old album okay i'll stop) )
Also, I haven't heard a bad thing about From Indian Lakes, personally I've never listened but a lot of friends of mine are huge fans and say they're great!
An owl and a squirrel are sitting in a tree, watching a farmer go by. The owl turns to the squirrel and says nothing, because owls can't talk. The owl then eats the squirrel because it is a bird of prey.
Wakko
Pistachio
Posts: 1075
Joined: May 2012
Location: Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Post

Wretched Sinner wrote:
Wakko wrote:I'm the other indie person on the band along with Audrey, so I'll be suggesting similarish stuff, also will probably have some explicit stuff (with warnings).

From Indian Lakes - Everything Feels Better Now and Absent Sounds are two really solid electronic indie rock albums, highly recommended, clean.
COIN - All of their music is really fun indie pop rock, another one of my faves.
Jon Bellion - electronic rap music, I believe he is a Christian, but he does have some explicit songs.
Chance the Rapper - another rapper who's a Christian but has some explicit stuff, but his music is super great.
Spark Alaska - They only have one album, but it's really good acoustic indie stuff, clean except for a few minor swears.
Jack and Eliza - They just put out their first album, really cool indie rock with some definite 60's and Beach Boys influences, pretty sure it's clean too.
Rusty Clanton - More indie acoustic stuff.

I tried to avoid just restating what Audrey said, but I also recommend a lot of her stuff, especially Childish Gambino's new stuff.
Chance is great. His music just sounds so happy. Do you listen to Kendrick? He's Christian as well.
I've never really listened to him, but I've heard good things, will have to give him a listen!
Audrey wrote:Ooh, I'm totally going to go listen to your suggestions, Wakko! I actually haven't really heard any of Chance's stuff, I didn't know he was Christian tbh. But thanks for suggesting music for me too, even by accident haha!

Edit: I totally recommend COIN though (I missed them opening for Bad Suns because they were at an 18 and up club TWO DAYS BEFORE I TURNED EIGHTEEN (i'm sorry i'm still bitter but ugh and bad suns were playing their new album too and i've only seen them twice with their old album okay i'll stop) )
Also, I haven't heard a bad thing about From Indian Lakes, personally I've never listened but a lot of friends of mine are huge fans and say they're great!
Oh, no problem haha! Chance is great, been listening to him a lot recently.

I actually was supposed to see Bad Suns + From Indian Lakes too, but it didn't work out for me either. :/ Then I was gonna see COIN instead and that didn't work either. :////
User avatar
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle
Posts: 4818
Joined: February 2015
Location: Somewhere beyond you
Contact:

Post

TigerShadow wrote:I'm rather fond of Nightwish, but being as that's symphonic metal, it might be a bit...much.
I liked it. \:D/
TigerShadow wrote: If you're looking for instrumental music, Two Steps From Hell
IM SO IN LOVE WITH THIS BAND. IT MAKES MY LIFE COMPLETE. :mad:
GJFH wrote:I also like Imagine Dragons and One Republic.
Thanks to my roommates, I hear this music blasting through the house and car all the time. :P

I don't think anyone here mentioned Owl City but thanks to Connie's set I heard a few songs and I love it. :inlove:
Audrey wrote:-Bad Suns
Its good :yes:
Helios wrote:Linkin Park
Wow. At first I was like "Ehhhhh" and then I was like " O.o " so mixed feelings here.
Blitz wrote:They do sing mainly about war so yeah I don't think that would fit with you.
I fight a lot of wars, I'll have you know. :P

Annnnd more follow ups to come if this topic is still alive. Currently trying Starset and Glass Animals.
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
User avatar
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha
Posts: 2654
Joined: June 2014

Post

Wow, MF. O.o Did you get replaced by a body-snatching alien while we weren't watching?
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
User avatar
Blitz
Moose Tracks
Posts: 3787
Joined: February 2013

Post

TigerShadow wrote:Wow, MF. O.o Did you get replaced by a body-snatching alien while we weren't watching?
Yeah I mean she has snapchat. \:D/
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
User avatar
SirWhit
Banana Fudge
Posts: 2456
Joined: October 2013

Post

Miss Friendship wrote: Annnnd more follow ups to come if this topic is still alive. Currently trying Starset and Glass Animals.
AYYYYY starset!

Have you listened to Icon for Hire? What about PVRIS? (language warning for both of those)
Post Reply