Nationalities

If it doesn't pertain to Adventures in Odyssey, you've stepped into the right place! Grab a chair, and talk about your favorite books, TV shows, join a debate, or just be random!
hipster_
Strawberry

Nationalities

Hey everyone! I have a very interesting topic (at least I think so) to talk about.
Something I've really enjoyed over the years as I've gotten older is finding out people's nationalities and their ancestry. I am a very open-minded person and love being exposed to new cultures (and traditions) that are of different origins and locations on the globe.

I am mixed half black and half white. My father is white; my mother is black. My aunt (my mom's sister) submitted DNA to ancestry.com and found out that she has roots from Ghana, the Congo, and other places in Africa, as well as some English I believe. It makes me wonder what makes up my DNA specifically.

So tell me what you guys are! I'd love to hear :)
I would rather have 4 quarters then 100 pennies...Be careful that you choose valuable friends.
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I'm half alein, half angel with a dash of German.
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
AuntSarah
Caramel Crunch

hmm this is a very interesting topic but I am not sure what I am but I know that my dads grandma was full Indian I am not sure what tribe though but that would make my dad 1/4 Indian which would make me 1/8 Indian I think I am not sure though
Aha suh dude
Audrey
Cookies & Creme

My mom did genealogy tests for our whole family and finally confirmed that we are indeed like 50 kinds of white.
An owl and a squirrel are sitting in a tree, watching a farmer go by. The owl turns to the squirrel and says nothing, because owls can't talk. The owl then eats the squirrel because it is a bird of prey.
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Same, haha. I love being off-brand whipped cream. :P
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

I'm a generic white person. \:D/ I'm a fairly typical mix of Irish, German, Swedish, Norwegian, and I think Welsh. I'm hoping to do a DNA test through something like ancestry.com or 23andme that might give me a little more detail.
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

I'm a mixture of English and French Canadian. Meaning, gourmet whipped cream. :D
I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us - Romans 8:18

It’s not enough to be against something. You have to be for something better. – Tony Stark
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

I am English, German, and "a teensy bit of Irish" as my great grandmother said. I think some Native American also, way back though.
This is an interesting topic. I'd like to do the ancestry.com thing. My uncle has (mom's brother). I think we have more Irish than we thought. On Dad's side I learned we may have French as well. Our ancestors lived near the German/French border. I'd like to learn more about it.
I don't think anyone's ancestry is "generic"-- it's an intricate tapestry of genetics that has woven throughout history to create a unique person: you.

My book, Justice Lost, is on Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JM1XFCI
Didi
Cookies & Creme

I have a lot of mixed stuff...
Half is Mexican. My ancestors moved from Spain to Mexico, then moved up.
The other half is...mixed up. It's all white though, I have German, French, Italian, and who knows what else European.
"I was born with white vans on"
"Vans weren't even popular when you were born"
K.R.E.
Blitz
Moose Tracks

Hey, hippy, we could be related. I am from the Dutch Caribbean, a spice of Dutch, Portuguese, Spanish, American Indian and African, not to mention my dad is from Ghana.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
Shadow
Peach Cobbler

I'm partly Irish, American, Canadian, Welsh, Dutch, and a little German.
I'm Monty Whittaker's greatest fan. member of the K.R.E
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
hipster_
Strawberry

Miss Friendship wrote:I'm half alein, half angel with a dash of German.
Interesting... :o

-- Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:26 pm --
Agent.MontyWhittaker wrote:I'm partly Irish, American, Canadian, Welsh, Dutch, and a little German.
I have quite a bit of Irish in my blood, and my great grandmother lived in Nova Scotia, Canada. She moved to America, so that's how I am here today! The rest of your nationalities are really awesome too!!

-- Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:27 pm --
Blitz wrote:Hey, hippy, we could be related. I am from the Dutch Caribbean, a spice of Dutch, Portuguese, Spanish, American Indian and African, not to mention my dad is from Ghana.
Heyy :lol:

That's really cool!!!! A lot of different mixtures and backgrounds...very interesting.

-- Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:28 pm --
Didi wrote:I have a lot of mixed stuff...
Half is Mexican. My ancestors moved from Spain to Mexico, then moved up.
The other half is...mixed up. It's all white though, I have German, French, Italian, and who knows what else European.
That's really cool, Didi. I also have French in my blood on my European side.

-- Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:33 pm --
Ameraka wrote:I am English, German, and "a teensy bit of Irish" as my great grandmother said. I think some Native American also, way back though.
This is an interesting topic. I'd like to do the ancestry.com thing. My uncle has (mom's brother). I think we have more Irish than we thought. On Dad's side I learned we may have French as well. Our ancestors lived near the German/French border. I'd like to learn more about it.
I don't think anyone's ancestry is "generic"-- it's an intricate tapestry of genetics that has woven throughout history to create a unique person: you.
Wow! That is amazing! I also have Irish and French in my blood, and I know a friend who is literally a Cherokee princess; her great great grandfather was a Cherokee Chief. How did your uncle like ancestry.com?
I would love to do the ancestry.com too; I have been mistaken for Puerto Rican and white...and many other nationalities, but most people can tell I am mixed with something.
I agree with you on the whole "generic" idea...your DNA is more unique than you think.
I would rather have 4 quarters then 100 pennies...Be careful that you choose valuable friends.
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

I'm 100% Korean. Probably. I don't know, I've never gotten it checked out.
hipster_
Strawberry

GJFH wrote:I'm a mixture of English and French Canadian. Meaning, gourmet whipped cream. :D
Wow! I also have English in my blood on my European side. And I have some family ties to Canada, although I don't think any of my closely related family members are from Canada. perhaps a great, great, great, great....grandma or grandpa somewhere along the family bloodline.
Lol now I want gourmet whipped cream! Pass the red cherries, guys! \:D/

-- Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:37 pm --
SirWhit wrote:I'm 100% Korean. Probably. I don't know, I've never gotten it checked out.
Wow! That is really cool! Have you ever been to Korea? :)

-- Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:38 pm --
T.S. (myself) wrote:I'm a generic white person. \:D/ I'm a fairly typical mix of Irish, German, Swedish, Norwegian, and I think Welsh. I'm hoping to do a DNA test through something like ancestry.com or 23andme that might give me a little more detail.
Oh okay, cool!! Yes, ancestry.com gets really specific with even the percentages of each nationality, which I think is really cool. I've never heard of 23andme before...

-- Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:39 pm --
TigerShadow wrote:Same, haha. I love being off-brand whipped cream. :P
Lol right? :lol:

-- Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:41 pm --
Audrey wrote:My mom did genealogy tests for our whole family and finally confirmed that we are indeed like 50 kinds of white.
Wow! That's so cool! It's amazing how there are so many different racial backgrounds that can be combined in one unique human being.

-- Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:42 pm --
AuntSarah wrote:hmm this is a very interesting topic but I am not sure what I am but I know that my dads grandma was full Indian I am not sure what tribe though but that would make my dad 1/4 Indian which would make me 1/8 Indian I think I am not sure though
Wow, that is really cool. You should try to find out more about what tribe! :)
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

Ameraka wrote:I don't think anyone's ancestry is "generic"-- it's an intricate tapestry of genetics that has woven throughout history to create a unique person: you.
Heh. :P I agree that everyone has a unique and interesting history. I used the term generic because my genetic makeup is very typical of the average white American, at least as far as I know.

Not to be overly cynical here, but statistically, the majority of people who think they have Native American (particularly Cherokee) heritage actually don't. And that's not necessarily true of anyone in this thread, but it is for the overall population. I believe the Cherokees have pretty well documented membership rolls, so unless the ancestor in question is listed on one of them, it's unlikely that they were Cherokee. This looks like a helpful website if you're interested in learning more about possible Cherokee ancestors.
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
Helios
Butter Pecan

I have French, Swedish, Native American, Vietnamese, and Chinese in my blood. These are all the ones I know of, but one of my great-grandmothers was an orphan. Who knows who I could be related to? :D
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

I am Norwegian, Scottish, Irish, English, French, Dutch, Swiss. .it goes on and on. Plus I'm 1/4 Finnish, and I also had ancestors in America since the revolutionary war!
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
hipster_
Strawberry

Belle wrote:I am Norwegian, Scottish, Irish, English, French, Dutch, Swiss. .it goes on and on. Plus I'm 1/4 Finnish, and I also had ancestors in America since the revolutionary war!
Wow! That's amazing! I have Irish, English, Scottish, and French in my blood too.
I'm assuming you had some tests done or something? Your Finnish is very precise! Lol :D

-- Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:00 am --
Helios wrote:I have French, Swedish, Native American, Vietnamese, and Chinese in my blood. These are all the ones I know of, but one of my great-grandmothers was an orphan. Who knows who I could be related to? :D
Wow! That's a really diverse mixture of races, and really really cool! She was an orphan? Well, that is definitely interesting, and yes, you never know what other connections you may have because of that.
Blitz
Moose Tracks

Man, we need someone with Australian blood now...
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
hipster_
Strawberry

Blitz wrote:Man, we need someone with Australian blood now...
Lol :lol: :lol: :lol: