Alice in Wonderland

If it doesn't pertain to Adventures in Odyssey, you've stepped into the right place! Grab a chair, and talk about your favorite books, TV shows, join a debate, or just be random!
Baron von Odyssey
Cookies & Creme

Alice in Wonderland

What are your thoughts and opinions on it and it's characters? (Note: this topic is not necesscarily confined to the books, but any version of Alice in Wonderland that you feel like talking about)
Last edited by Baron von Odyssey on Thu May 05, 2016 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Greetings. Name's Baron Von Odyssey. My card."
(Card: [Baron von Odyssey - writer, book lover, fairytale enthusiast, and AIO fan])
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My posts are awesome! You wanna know why?
BECAUSE I'M BATMAN!!
GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

I don't really enjoy the story myself. I think because it doesn't have a point and is a constant flow of unexplained happenings :? .
I never finished the book since I couldn't get into it and I cringe whenever any adaptation is on t.v.
Do you like it?
I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us - Romans 8:18

It’s not enough to be against something. You have to be for something better. – Tony Stark
Bethany Shepard
Moose Tracks

Personally, I've never cared for the story. I do enjoy the eccentric feel of the character (especially the steam punk fell of the Tim Burton version), but it's always been a little too far out for me.
"I am not a demon. I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther.
I want to be Bob Denver on acid playing the accordion."
-Nicolas Cage
Audrey
Cookies & Creme

Uh...the palette looks nice? Not my style though, but it's pretty to look at.

(I'm referencing the Urban Decay Alice Through The Looking Glass eyeshadow palette/lipsticks. I know nothing else about Alice in Wonderland.)
An owl and a squirrel are sitting in a tree, watching a farmer go by. The owl turns to the squirrel and says nothing, because owls can't talk. The owl then eats the squirrel because it is a bird of prey.
Rosy
Cookie Dough

My opinion is why would you read Alice in Wonderland when you can read The Wizard of Oz, aka a much more enjoyable version of the mystical-land-of-oddities story. I wouldn't consider either one of my favorites, but at least Oz has a definable story line...
꿈. 희망. 전진.
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

I'm surprised and most disappointed. I had no idea my fellow Shoppers had such a low opinion on one of the greatest works of literature. Why it's one of the greatest is hard to explain and much disagreed on but that's part of what makes it great. Alice is one of my favorite books. Any meaning one gleans from it is perhaps subjective, admittedly. Perhaps it has political commentary on the monarchy, perhaps there is much meaning in lines like, "Would you tell me, please, where I ought to go from here?"
“I don’t much care where—” said Alice.

“Then it doesn’t matter which way you go,” said the Cat.

“—so long as I get somewhere."

If nothing else, it's a fascinating contest between a logical child and and illogical world. That doesn't mean everyone will like it, it certainly is a matter of taste with this as much and perhaps more than most books. However, whether you like it yourself or not hundreds of thousands do, the Alice books have never been out of print. So they do entertain, they do provoke thought, and they do have characters who enchant and as such have succeeded in being masterpieces.

As for Alice vs. Oz, I'm fond of Oz but I'd have to choose Alice, despite how brilliant Oz is.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Novatom
Raspberry Ripple

I am in the middle of reading it, and I have seen the movie multiple times. I enjoy the book so far, and I liked the movie also, but they're just okay.
17:39<Novatom>: I'm in another boat. A boat of people who don't know what everyone's talking about. A boat that is sinking.
17:40<Sameriazx>: oh no... here we go again...
Blitz
Moose Tracks

Burn it! \:D/ I really hated having to read part of it for school. I really dislike it for some reason. I guess I'm very logical compared to its rather unorganized pace.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

I love Alice in Wonderland! It's not supposed to have much of a plot, it's supposed to be dreamlike and wonderfully illogical and whimsical. I like that. But then, I like dreams.
I love the old TV miniseries version quite a bit.
I'm going to see Through the Looking Glass tomorrow with my sister and niece.

My book, Justice Lost, is on Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JM1XFCI
Baron von Odyssey
Cookies & Creme

Ameraka wrote: I'm going to see Through the Looking Glass tomorrow with my sister and niece.
Man, so jealous of you!
(Card: [Baron von Odyssey - writer, book lover, fairytale enthusiast, and AIO fan])
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BECAUSE I'M BATMAN!!
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

Baron von Odyssey wrote:
Ameraka wrote: I'm going to see Through the Looking Glass tomorrow with my sister and niece.
Man, so jealous of you!
Just saw it! I love it!

My book, Justice Lost, is on Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JM1XFCI
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

*Blink* You do? I've sort of boycotted those movies on principle, their reputation is so awful plus they're written by Linda Woolverton who wrote, shudder, Maleficent. Why did you love it? If you're reasons sound like things I would like too maybe I'd give it a chance after all.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Baron von Odyssey
Cookies & Creme

Those movies are THE BEST!! (that's all I have to say) \:D/
BECAUSE I'M BATMAN!!