The Harry Potter Thread

If it doesn't pertain to Adventures in Odyssey, you've stepped into the right place! Grab a chair, and talk about your favorite books, TV shows, join a debate, or just be random!
aragtaghooligan
Fudge Marble

I find that with all books though, not just these ones, but then I am a very emotional non level headed person :P but anyways lets not get side tracked from the purpose of this thread.
Wakko
Pistachio

Miss Friendship wrote:That does sound weird. Almost what I would expect though, believing what I do about those books.
That they have strong characters that are so convincing you feel for them? :P
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Wakko wrote:
Miss Friendship wrote:That does sound weird. Almost what I would expect though, believing what I do about those books.
That they have strong characters that are so convincing you feel for them? :P
No. I would say it's the effect of the occult, but like Tiger wanted, no debating in this thread.

So let's just nod and smile, grit our teeth, and move on. :P
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
Helios
Butter Pecan

You know, Beth, your sister's reaction sounds kind of like what some women experience while reading Twilight. And I hate Goosebumps! :evil: I actually hate getting scared. :P

*nods sagely to Miss Friendship, then grits teeth and moves on*
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Resurrecting this thread to ask where my Potter people at so we can geek out over the Pottermore Patronus quiz! \:D/ It was just released a few days ago, and I got a black stallion. Also, has anyone been sorted into their Ilvermorny House yet?
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

TigerShadow wrote:Resurrecting this thread to ask where my Potter people at so we can geek out over the Pottermore Patronus quiz! \:D/ It was just released a few days ago, and I got a black stallion. Also, has anyone been sorted into their Ilvermorny House yet?
My patronous is a Dun Mare!
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

My Patronous is a fox! :D
Also, I belong to Pukwudgie, which is surprising...
I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us - Romans 8:18

It’s not enough to be against something. You have to be for something better. – Tony Stark
Novatom
Raspberry Ripple

I tried taking the patronus quiz, but I forgot my password, and Pottermore wouldn't send their password to my email for some reason...Anyway, I consider my patronus to be a wolf, though of course there's nothing official.
My Ilvermorny house is Thunderbird.
17:39<Novatom>: I'm in another boat. A boat of people who don't know what everyone's talking about. A boat that is sinking.
17:40<Sameriazx>: oh no... here we go again...
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I thought I'd give my HP report here. \:D/

I posted a few of my reactions on Twitter. Screenshots:
Other thoughts. I kept getting confused at who was who because of the unique names everyone had. Having heard of the characters of Ron, Hermoine, Snape and Dumbledore helped a bit. :yes: The plot was a good one and J.K. Rowling does have an amazing way with words. I loved her descriptions of Harry's awful relatives. :inlove:

So do I advance to the next book or watch the movie? :wacky:

OR I REFUSE TO HAVE ANYTHING MORE TO DO WITH THE OCCULT. @Blitz #holdingout
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~

GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

I think a choice like that is up to you. I saw the first film after reading The Sorcerer's Stone then preceded to read the next six books before watching the remaining films. With that order, I think I did better at critiquing the movies and preferring the written works. The first film, in my lowly opinion is the best. :mrgreen: If you can find it I would definitely recommend seeing it. Though if you see it now you might have high expectations for the next seven films which weren't awful...just...average I suppose.

Who is your favourite right now? :D By the way, I am so proud!
I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us - Romans 8:18

It’s not enough to be against something. You have to be for something better. – Tony Stark
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

GJFH wrote:Who is your favourite right now?
Hmm, I'm really liking Hermoine and Snapes characters. :yes:

Blitz
Moose Tracks

REFUSE! We need our hold out back!!!
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

I return to tell you to read the books and only the books because the movies are TREASH.

(Unless you like seeing your stories gutted. Then by all means. ^_^ )

Also, I'm a Thunderbird. \:D/ Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them was awesome.
Bethany Shepard
Moose Tracks

Has anyone read The Cursed Child? I've heard no positive reviews on it, so I'm a little hesitant to start it....
"I am not a demon. I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther.
I want to be Bob Denver on acid playing the accordion."
-Nicolas Cage
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Haven't bothered; I heard it was kind of terrible. Love your set, though, Bethany. ^_^
GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

TigerShadow wrote:Haven't bothered; I heard it was kind of terrible. Love your set, though, Bethany. ^_^
Mm. My older sister began reading it and declared it to be dull and uninteresting.

Now I'm wondering how many of us have either bought, or been given wands? :)

TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

I bought Ginny's wand at Universal. One of the best choices I ever made.
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

GJFH wrote:Now I'm wondering how many of us have either bought, or been given wands? :)
While I was studying in Oxford, England, I bought Luna's wand from an amazing book store! :)
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
Bethany Shepard
Moose Tracks

Thanks, Tiger. :)

I really wish she'd start another series. Even if it was still in the Harry Potter Universe, just different characters.
"I am not a demon. I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther.
I want to be Bob Denver on acid playing the accordion."
-Nicolas Cage
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Personally, I'm not convinced that Rowling had more than the one good story in her, but there you are. If I couldn't point to The Casual Vacancy or Cursed Child, I'd personally want a story about the Marauders' time at Hogwarts, mostly to shed some light and nuance on what the MWPP vs. Snape vs. Lily conflict was actually like.