Book Klub

If it doesn't pertain to Adventures in Odyssey, you've stepped into the right place! Grab a chair, and talk about your favorite books, TV shows, join a debate, or just be random!

What Book Should the Book Klub Read?

The Prince and the Pauper
No votes
Wizard of Oz
5%
Robinson Cruesoe
10%
Gulliver's Travels
5%
White Fang
5%
Bridge To Teribithia
19%
A Wrinkle In Time
33%
Frankenstein
19%
A Blue Christmas
5%

Total votes: 21

Mickey
Peach Cobbler

Book Klub

Does anyone want to join a book club? I think it would be fun. We can play games like Who can read the most books in two weeks. Or we can choose a book we all can get our hands on and discuss it!

P.S. I hope the admins and mods don't mind they don't seem to like the last klub I started!
Last edited by Mickey on Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud K.R.E Member
Mr. Yorp
Cookies & Creme

I suggest Titus: A Comrade of the Cross
Blitz
Moose Tracks

I would like this. Wait Mr. Yorp, do you do Abeka?
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
Mr. Yorp
Cookies & Creme

I'm not sure what you are asking...I have used Abeka books for school...
Audrey
Cookies & Creme

It's a good idea in theory. But the problem is trying to find a book everyone could/would read.
An owl and a squirrel are sitting in a tree, watching a farmer go by. The owl turns to the squirrel and says nothing, because owls can't talk. The owl then eats the squirrel because it is a bird of prey.
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

I certainly love this idea, though, having tried to rally the Soda Shoppers together on (mostly) failed projects many times during my tenure here, I am naturally skeptical of how it would work. I will certainly be all in, provided that the books aren't too long, or if they are long, we extend the time frame, since I am by no means a "fast reader". If I can finish a medium-sized book in four or five days, that's pretty fast for me, and I can't remember the last time I started and finished a chapter book in one or two days. Also, I generally read classic books that were written for "adults", so we'll have to work out a bell curve for reading level and content as well.
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
I <3 Wooton
Caramel Crunch

I want to join! I love reading and pretty much anything that has to do with books.
Raggedy Man I remember you, and you are late for my wedding!
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

I'm in. The difficulty would be sticking to books one can get at the library so no one has to buy new books. It would be fine to do that occasionally, but we'd want to mostly avoid it or our members would hardly ever read the material. Either that or go broke.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

I like this. Maybe an option to opt out of a book, or have a list of several books, and we can pick the book that A. we all have access to and B. works for length and content.

My book, Justice Lost, is on Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JM1XFCI
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

Oh, yeah, I didn't think about price. We should probably go with books that everyone hasn't already read. Perhaps, if a ton of people want to join, we should divide it up into two Book Klubs, to make things simpler. Here are some suggestions for books I currently have on my bookshelf and haven't read, at least not in a long time:

The Prince and the Pauper
Robinson Cruesoe
Gulliver's Travels
White Fang
The Wizard of Oz
Bridge To Teribithia
A Wrinkle In Time
Frankenstein

If anyone has any of these books and wants to read them with me, I will be delighted. I'm pretty sure the only one I've actually finished at some point is A Wrinkle In Time, though I started a few of the others.
Gooey98
Raspberry Ripple

Yeah, it'd have to be a short book...like Les Miserables
My David Crowder*Band website: http://dcbplus.weebly.com
My YouTube: http://youtube.com/WillLocatelli
My gaming YouTube: http://youtube.com/KingGrahamGaming
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

Gooey98 wrote:Yeah, it'd have to be a short book...like Les Miserables
HAHAAHA

It took me ages to finish Les Mis.

The ones that I have not read are Robinson Cruesoe (though I started it once), White Fang ( have read Call of the Wild by Jack London and liked that), and Bridge to Terebithia. I would like to read any of them.

Some of the older classics you can download for free, so if someone didn't have one, or couldn't get it at the library, they could get it online.

My book, Justice Lost, is on Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JM1XFCI
Blitz
Moose Tracks

I read Les Mis in under a week. I have read most of those books.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

Well, aren't you just Mr. Bookworm. :P. The reason I haven't read most 19th Century and pre-19th Century classics is because I've been reading a lot of 20th Century Classics by people like James Joyce, William Faulkner, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Ernest Hemingway, and Kurt Vonnegut. So yeah... But I'd really like to delve into one of those books, so is there one book anyone really wants to read from that list? I'd say Frankenstein, The Prince and the Pauper, and Robinson Crusoe are the ones I'm most excited about, but I'd be up for any of them. I'm currently reading War and Peace (about one-eighteenth of the way done, lol), so I too would like something a little short and not too heavy in reading level. I think I could read any of those books in a week, so just let me know. I hate to be so commanding, but since no one else has put forth any suggestions (except dear Yorp, of course), I figured I'd take the initiative. :mrgreen:
NinjaThrowingStar
Raspberry Ripple

I keep meaning to read war and peace.... I got about half way through in a about week... say a year ago and got annoyed and put it down so I could move... anywho I love this idea!!! :mrgreen: and off the list Mr. Arnold provided I would love to read Bridge to Terebithia, I saw the movie when it first came out (back in 07-08 right??? Dang I am get old!) And have wanted to read the book just haven't. But I am willing to read whatever! I trust your judgement not to be trashy but classy! ;)
Last edited by NinjaThrowingStar on Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What is forever..? I shall see you again. Just after the mist has faded and time has stopped, over on the other side. Enjoy your journey and I'll enjoy mine.
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

Okay, we should probably decide quickly. Would an admin mind setting up a poll? Unless anyone has objections, you can use the books I suggested.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

My vote would be for A Wrinkle In Time
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Mickey
Peach Cobbler

I went ahead and added one book I like Blue Christmas. Very interesting. It is about a lady who went to a place in South America or around there someplace during the cholera epidemic of 2012. Very interesting!
Proud K.R.E Member
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Thank you for adding your choice but please refrain from editing the poll again as doing so will reset the poll. If people had voted before the change was made please cast your vote again.
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

I hate it when that happens, and I believe I've made that mistake at least twice. I haven't heard of Blue Christmas, but it sounds mildly interesting. It doesn't even have a Wikipedia page though, so it's obviously pretty obscure. No offense, but I believe we should stick to classics that everyone can read for free. Besides... they're better anyway. ;) (That last part was sarcasm. I have nothing against modern books, it's just always nice to read the classics.)