The Court of 11th Doctor Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires

If it doesn't pertain to Adventures in Odyssey, you've stepped into the right place! Grab a chair, and talk about your favorite books, TV shows, join a debate, or just be random!
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

No, because then we are going off of what you believe to be a credible source and last I checked, you aren't infallible.
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Okay, let's have a discussion about what makes a source credible or not. What makes a source credible to you?
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Blitz
Moose Tracks

A source that has reliable or at least proven evidence despite the person's take on the evidence. For example, CNN is a reliable source even though their take on certain things clouds their reporting abilities.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

What makes evidence reliable?
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Blitz
Moose Tracks

Eleventh Doctor wrote:What makes evidence reliable?
Reliable sources, I would think.
Debate Vampire

Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Okay so what is a reliable source? And you can't say having evidence that is reliable because that's circular reasoning.

Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

So here's a good standard. Look for accuracy, sources listed with the facts. Authority. Is the publisher reliable and qualified? Objectivity. Is anything biased? And is the topic covered in depth and complete?
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I think those are excellent criteria, I would say with objectivity that everyone is biased though so we should try and look for low levels of bias but it's hard to find something with no bias.

I'd also like to expand on is the publisher reliable and qualified. I think beyond just the author of the piece being reliable and qualified I think where they're being published is important too. If the author is just posting on a blog or on an site that doesn't have peer review of the content that brings the piece into question as well.

Shadow
Peach Cobbler

How do I join? Anyways, what makes a publisher qualified and/or reliable is when the produce reports and various non-fiction books that match the facts that are known to be true and/or reliable.
I'm Monty Whittaker's greatest fan. member of the K.R.E
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

But how do they become known to be true and/or reliable?
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I would say that the process by which they do research and fact check is what makes them reliable. So a big part of reliability in journalism and science is peer review, basically you have people double check all the facts and information in an article. The problem with blogs and independently published works is there's no peer review.

Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

To answer Monty's question:
Agent.MontyWhittaker wrote:How do I join? Anyways, what makes a publisher qualified and/or reliable is when the produce reports and various non-fiction books that match the facts that are known to be true and/or reliable.
You start by debating. :yes: Entering the fold of the debate vampires happens naturally.
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
Kathy0
Cookies & Creme

May I join? I love reading this forum! Its one of my favorites! You guys are really smart and funny! XD
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

If you wish to become a debate vampire then keep debating.

jehoshaphat
Cookies & Creme

I believe I have debated adequately and properly enough that I should be apart of this noble court.

What do you say, Good Eleventh Doctor?
Tarol
Peach Cobbler

I think your lack of capitalization in your name show's immaturity and humility, both things Debate Vampires shy away from... so.... =/
xo eht haiasi-
jehoshaphat
Cookies & Creme

Not to be rude, but I did address the Good Doctor, not you Sir Ox
Tarol
Peach Cobbler

I'm a troll. I can do whatever I want. :noway: And, since I complained about them, the mods let me be. *woot woot* \:D/
xo eht haiasi-
Blitz
Moose Tracks

*Requests permission from the Doctor to tie Isaiah up*
Debate Vampire

Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Denied Blitz

Let it be know that jehoshaphat will henceforth be known as Sir Jehoshaphat Knight of the Order of Augustine