Doctor Who?

If it doesn't pertain to Adventures in Odyssey, you've stepped into the right place! Grab a chair, and talk about your favorite books, TV shows, join a debate, or just be random!
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

I believe it is about time to bring back this topic. Jodie Whittaker just had her first episode as the Doctor release, and I read that it got record viewership. Honestly, I'm not surprised. I watched the first episode, and I am completely in love with her as the Doctor. She did a fantastic job.

What are y'alls thoughts on 13? I want to cosplay as her as soon as I can.
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
Woody
Cookies & Creme

I really enjoyed 13's debut, I think the haters were proven quite wrong. :)

No significant spoilers here, but everyone's sensitivities are different, so:
I'm glad they didn't make the gender change a big deal. They didn't play the meta game and try to justify the choice to those who doubted it, they just made a solid episode of Doctor Who which featured a Doctor that just happened to be female. I think that'll pay off.

As for the episode itself, as I said, I really enjoyed it. I think the new 1-hour format was a good choice, it gives them some time to let the mystery of the monster unfold, and have some more extended dialogue and developmental scenes for the characters. Speaking of the characters, I love Yaz and Ryan! I'm not entirely sold on Graham yet, though. He's a perfectly likable character, but it seems like he's trying to fill a Wilfred Mott role, and less effectively. Hopefully he gets a little more development in future episodes.

One more thing, I love the ingenuity of 13! They did a "No TARDIS, No Screwdriver" episode a la "The Eleventh Hour", and it really showcased 13's resourcefulness. Also, she's the first Doctor to build a Sonic, no?

"You'll never be far, I'm keeping you near, inside of my heart, you're here." ~Owl City, Gold
Stella C.
Peach Cobbler

I have been watching the season as it comes out on Amazon Prime. I had my doubts, but I am loving this new doctor! She is amazing. My brothers and I all agreed, though, that she reminds us of the 10th doctor a lot, with her quips and making things up as she goes. That may be why I like her so much, as he is my absolute favorite, but I am really enjoying this season so far!

-- Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:08 pm --

I have been watching the season as it comes out on Amazon Prime. I had my doubts, but I am loving this new doctor! She is amazing. My brothers and I all agreed, though, that she reminds us of the 10th doctor a lot, with her quips and making things up as she goes. That may be why I like her so much, as he is my absolute favorite, but I am really enjoying this season so far!
Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring. -Proverbs 27:1
Sam: Up on our mountain, where the muffins stink, the boys aren't, and we play music all day long.. xD
Stella: Sounds AWESOME!
Audrey
Cookies & Creme

I've been a big fan of Jodie for a long time, so I went into this season (haven't watched since 11) very hopeful. I forget how much Doctor Who changed and was taken aback at first - that's what I get for thinking they still rely on cheesy effects (which I adore. tennant era is best era fight me)! These new ones are so well produced!

Anyways, I'm liking this season, but not loving it. Every episode is very solid, and Jodie is fantastic. But, there hasn't been a single standout episode for me yet. I'm really hoping they take some more risks with plots later in the season. I know the multiple companions and the female doctor is definitely a risk, so I'm worried they decided to play it safe. I want some crazy aliens, dang it! (the borderline cute one last episode doesn't count)
An owl and a squirrel are sitting in a tree, watching a farmer go by. The owl turns to the squirrel and says nothing, because owls can't talk. The owl then eats the squirrel because it is a bird of prey.
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

Yeah, so I've been watching season 11. I wasn't very happy when I found out that the doctor would be a woman because personally, I don't care for a lot of the "strong women" characters in media right now. They end up just doing their best to act like men- and honestly, Jodie isn't an exception. I will say that she's not as bad as I was expecting. The character isn't. But the episode themes most certainly are. Wow has this show gotten political. And they're not even subtle about it. It's pathetic. How vigorously anti-gun the Doctor is, is absurd. I can appreciate it when the Doctor has values- but why should they be strictly confined to the West's political tensions. The Doctor is an alien from another planet for Galifrey's sake! And why are guns the worst thing in the world- but bombs are okay? Wait we can't shoot a giant spider who has killed people but trying to kill a small alien- who's also killed people is okay since we're using a bomb? Also, Yaz is a police officer. She doesn't use a gun? And what's with all the straight white men being the villain in nearly every episode? Okay except for King James. Also how disturbing is the discrepancy when it comes to religion? The Doctor shows intense respect for Yaz's history and the fact that she's Muslim- never mentioning the actual terrorist acts that have been committed by Muslims, while there's an entire episode dedicated to the Christians who killed witches in the 17th century. Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying there should be an episode about Muslim terrorism or that the witch trials were moral, but there's a bias. Also, they say that King James "wrote" the KJV of the Bible- which isn't true. He just ordered it be translated into English that everyone could read, and the actual translating was done by half a hundred of the nations best literary scholars. Even when discussing things like demons and satin, if in the context of the Muslim episode, the Doctor never says demons don't exist or you're terrible for thinking they do. The most she says is, "I don't think they are demons." However, when it comes to Satin, the Doctor has no problem trying to convince the Christians that their beliefs are idiotic.
Now, I've said a lot of bad. There is some good. I was afraid that they were going to do some episode touching on abortion, and was very pleased when they encouraged the father(wut) to keep his child instead of putting it up for adoption. I like the companions enough. They all feel a little underdeveloped, but that could just be me. Doctor Who has had a very crisp look lately, which I have to say- isn't my favourite. Rewatching the Tennet/Ecclestein era, there's this great realism that's so raw and unapologetic. This new season feels so cautious. In content and characters. Before this, the goal of a Doctor Who episode was to fix a problem and get some good character development. It feels like we've replaced the character development with a political message. Ew. Why? It doesn't have to be. And it's not brave to do so, in my opinion, it's just annoying and distracting. No one wants that. So, this season hasn't really worked for me. Also, Jodie's acting sometimes is just bad. (pls dont hurt me)
"Let me get this straight. I bet all those non-friends of yours try to embarrass you about your love for that stuff, right? So, you almost feel like you have to hide your treasures away and can only take them out in secret on rainy days when your mom goes to the store to get more liver and nobody is around to berate your sensitive spirit. Is that what you’re saying?" -Jay Smouse
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

A couple nitpicks, Yaz doesn't use a gun as a police officer because the vast majority of police officers in Britain don't use guns and the Doctor has always been anti-gun.

As for the Muslim issue they had an episode where they talked about the many killings during the partition of India and Pakistan, covering both your points about non-western politics and talking about bad things Muslims had done.

In the Witch Trial episode the villains didn't end up being Christians they were aliens, the Christian characters were nuanced and flawed much like the Muslim and Hindu characters in the Muslim episode.

Let me say the spider episode that was so blatantly political and anti-gun was my least favorite episode of the season so far.
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

Alright. That's fair. Well- the Christians weren't aliens. And while they did have flawed Muslim characters, they still respected their beliefs.
"Let me get this straight. I bet all those non-friends of yours try to embarrass you about your love for that stuff, right? So, you almost feel like you have to hide your treasures away and can only take them out in secret on rainy days when your mom goes to the store to get more liver and nobody is around to berate your sensitive spirit. Is that what you’re saying?" -Jay Smouse
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

That's a fair point, I wish they had portrayed the Christians as accurately as they did with Hindi and Muslim beliefs in the episode about the partition of India and Pakistan; which was one of my favorites of the season.
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

Eleventh Doctor wrote:Let me say the spider episode that was so blatantly political and anti-gun was my least favorite episode of the season so far.
Same. The "villain" was poorly written - had no reason for being "evil" other than capitalism, the spiders were just trying to live, but they were also killing people. :P
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
Shadow
Peach Cobbler

Bump since I got brainwashed into modern doctor who.

I will say 9 and 12 are my favorites of the Doctors.
I'm Monty Whittaker's greatest fan. member of the K.R.E
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
djchatswithu
Cookies & Creme

Shadow wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:17 am
I will say 9 and 12 are my favorites of the Doctors.
Now that's interesting as those two have always reminded me of two AIO characters. 9/Richard Maxwell are both haunted by things they did that they wish they could undo. the other is 12/Leonard in Heaven Sent and the Leonard Saga. both are trapped in a kind of prison. slowly escaping over years, fuelled by their desire to avenge Clara/Thelma and bring justice against the ones who put him there, all while being haunted by their memories of them.