Doctor Who?

If it doesn't pertain to Adventures in Odyssey, you've stepped into the right place! Grab a chair, and talk about your favorite books, TV shows, join a debate, or just be random!
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

It wasn't Rose, just the same actor, so I personally don't count it. I can see how people would count it though.
Bethany Shepard
Moose Tracks

Woooooh, slow down ladies. Does it matter?

My friend said he wants to show me The Silence. Excited for that. :D
"I am not a demon. I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther.
I want to be Bob Denver on acid playing the accordion."
-Nicolas Cage
Woody
Cookies & Creme

Oooooooh, the Silents. They are some of the creepiest. Them and the Vashta Nerada. <3 And the Weeping Angels.

"You'll never be far, I'm keeping you near, inside of my heart, you're here." ~Owl City, Gold
Bethany Shepard
Moose Tracks

I tried to look up Vashta Nerada... I couldn't find anything. :P
"I am not a demon. I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther.
I want to be Bob Denver on acid playing the accordion."
-Nicolas Cage
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Can someone give me a quick summary of Doctor Who? I looked them up online....and got really confused. Why do they have so many Doctors? And why do they only last so long?
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

Doctor Who is a show about an alien from a race called the Time Lords who travels in a blue box called the TARDIS with companions.

The reason there are so many doctors is because Time Lords have a unique ability to regenerate into new bodies.
Woody
Cookies & Creme

The Doctor is an alien who stole a time capsule(also known as a TARDIS) from his race and ran away to see the universe. He has a particular affinity for the human race and often protects them from alien threats. He travels through time and space, usually with a companion(usually a female from contemporary Britain.) To give Donna Noble's summary:

"He saves planets, rescues civilizations, defeats terrible creatures... and runs a lot. Seriously, there is an outrageous amount of running involved."

The Doctor is a Time Lord, a species that figured out both the secret of time travel(through the TARDIS) and practical immortality. They achieved this through a process known as 'regeneration'. Basically, if a Time Lord has been mortally wounded or grows old, every cell in his body will heal, but in order to do so, must change. This change results in the Time Lord having a new face, body, brain, taste buds, teeth, kidneys, legs, etc. Typically, Time Lords go through their regenerations pretty slowly, living peaceful lives on their home planet of Gallifrey, but the Doctor, being a renegade Time Lord, has gone through a rather large number of regenerations, as his adventures often put stress on his bodies, causing them to grow old quicker, and also gets wounded more often than normal Time Lords. Also, Time Lords are limited to 12 regenerations(13 faces), but the Time Lords granted the Doctor an extra regeneration cycle.

TL;DR: He travels through time and space, saving people and aliens. He's immortal, but only if he changes his face every couple of seasons.

"You'll never be far, I'm keeping you near, inside of my heart, you're here." ~Owl City, Gold
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Thanks for explaining.

Sounds....ummm..."Out of this world"

I watched a few clips on YouTube...and well, I'd rather watch something realistic. Of course, the Britain accents nearly made me like them :)
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~

Woody
Cookies & Creme

No problem.

Yes, it is out of this world, and freakishly amazing.

I consider the entire point of fiction to be being unrealistic. If you want realistic, why not just go and live it? I like having fiction as an escape from the real world, to a place where happy endings are more numerous. ;) Oh, and yes. As the Eleventh Doctor would say, British accents are cool. \:D/ Of course, the Twelfth Doctor calls them a fault. :P
Last edited by Woody on Fri May 15, 2015 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wakko
Pistachio

MissFriendship wrote:Thanks for explaining.

Sounds....ummm..."Out of this world"

I watched a few clips on YouTube...and well, I'd rather watch something realistic. Of course, the Britain accents nearly made me like them :)
Does TV have to be realistic? =P It's fun to watch doesn't matter if it's realistic or not. \:D/
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

No there's nothing wrong with unrealistic, just not my preference. Actually the "realistic" I watch, isn't realistic anymore. Like the setting could be anywhere between 200O years ago to 1980, and its not like my life at all.

Note: We don't have a TV, so I really don't have to deal with unrealistic shows. :)
Woody wrote:Oh, and yes. As the Eleventh Doctor would say, British accents are cool. \:D/ Of course, the Twelfth Doctor calls them a fault. :P
The Eleventh Doctor is one strange doctor--I watched this clip where nothing in the kitchen satisfied him until custard and something disgusting. Talk about throwing food around... Really strange!
Last edited by Miss Friendship on Fri May 15, 2015 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wakko
Pistachio

It was custard and fish fingers. =P It's supposed to be funny.
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

It was :) kinda....

Woody
Cookies & Creme

Eleven is wonderful \:D/

Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Eh, I'm more of a War Doctor fan myself
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

I'm a fan of Third myself.
Ashley
Raspberry Ripple

…Woody did you say that the happy endings are more numerous because that it not at all true
Woody
Cookies & Creme

ClaraOswald wrote:…Woody did you say that the happy endings are more numerous because that it not at all true
I was talking about fiction in general, not Doctor Who in particular. ;)

Ashley
Raspberry Ripple

But still there's more heartbreaking endings than happy. Or maybe I've been watching only the depressing stuff. xD
HomeschoolCowgirl
Peach Cobbler

While flipping through channels last night I happened to come across an episode of Dr. Who (don't have a clue which one). But the only thing I recognised was Peter Davison and I thought "Hey, that's Tristan" -- from All Creatures Great and Small. :ugeek:
"Musical training is a more potent instrument than any other, for rhythm and harmony find their way into the inner places of the soul... making the soul of one who is rightly educated, graceful" -- Socrates