Chatter in the Booths

If it doesn't pertain to Adventures in Odyssey, you've stepped into the right place! Grab a chair, and talk about your favorite books, TV shows, join a debate, or just be random!
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Blitz wrote:Yeah might have gotten you killed, and we'd never hear of MF again.
Well I did meet Ox... He's not the person he claims to be. He's a big scary 50 year old with tattoos and carries a machete. Lucky I escaped with my life. :mad:
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
Blitz
Moose Tracks

Miss Friendship wrote:
Well I did meet Ox... He's not the person he claims to be. He's a big scary 50 year old with tattoos and carries a machete. Lucky I escaped with my life. :mad:
*Already saw the picture of fb* \:D/

Don't worry peoples.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Blitz wrote:
Miss Friendship wrote:
*Already saw the picture of fb* \:D/

Don't worry peoples.
Where did I say that was Ox? :twisted:
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~

Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

Maybe it was Paula in disguise? She does have more than one twin after all.
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
Blitz
Moose Tracks

Your twin....
Debate Vampire

Tarol
Peach Cobbler

Miss Friendship wrote:I actually talked politics with my Uber driver the other morning. Which, as someone pointed out later, isn't the smartest thing to discuss on the road with a stranger. :P
:mrgreen:
xo eht haiasi-
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

Blitz wrote:
T.S. (myself) wrote:Wow. That's insane. And scary. The thought of Ben Carson as Education Secretary is physically painful. :(
Why?
Ben Carson has proved himself to be a brilliant surgeon, but I remain skeptical of his political experience, or lack thereof. His most prominent political talent seems to be making bizarre statements of questionable reliability. Do we really want someone who believes Joseph built the pyramids to store grain in charge of the US educational system?
GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

For some reason I really like this particular one... I'm D20.

Which one matches your eyes? :D
I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us - Romans 8:18

It’s not enough to be against something. You have to be for something better. – Tony Stark
Aftershocker
Mocha Jamocha

I'm probs T50 or T40.
^^ Props to Belle ^^
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Isaiah the Ox wrote:
Miss Friendship wrote:I actually talked politics with my Uber driver the other morning. Which, as someone pointed out later, isn't the smartest thing to discuss on the road with a stranger. :P
:mrgreen:
O______________________________________________________________________O

WAS THAT YOU?

Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

It's hard to say, Joe. Mine are kind of like T17, but maybe with a little bit more of D60. They're definitely brown, but ringed with a green hazely color.
GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

Aftershocker wrote:I'm probs T50 or T40.
Ooh, nice. Deep brown eyes are very pretty, they're like pools of chocolate.
T.S. (myself) wrote:It's hard to say, Joe. Mine are kind of like T17, but maybe with a little bit more of D60. They're definitely brown, but ringed with a green hazely color.
:) I can imagine that, my brother's are almost definitely D60. It's this amazing Amber colour.
I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us - Romans 8:18

It’s not enough to be against something. You have to be for something better. – Tony Stark
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Blitz wrote:
T.S. (myself) wrote:Wow. That's insane. And scary. The thought of Ben Carson as Education Secretary is physically painful. :(
Why?
And why are talking again about politics in Chatter?
How to explain why Carson is unfit to be Education Secretary... How to explain why penguin is unfit to be a Bedouin.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

What pretty eyes you have, Penguin. \:D/
Pound Foolish wrote:
Blitz wrote:
Why?
And why are talking again about politics in Chatter?
How to explain why Carson is unfit to be Education Secretary... How to explain why penguin is unfit to be a Bedouin.
Yeah, this. It's just not a good pick.
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Okay, why would Carson be the Secretary of Education? Why not something that actually relates to his career as a neurosurgeon, like Health and Human Services or nominating him for Surgeon General once Vivek Murthy's term is up? Education is just a bizarre choice.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

I'm D10 on that chart. I love my eyes, they change which color come out more (the blue or the green) based on what I'm wearing.
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

Belle wrote:I'm D10 on that chart. I love my eyes, they change which color come out more (the blue or the green) based on what I'm wearing.
That's a lovely shade Belle, :inlove: I think it's neat that some people's eyes can change, my eyes actually were darker when I was younger though now they remain the same.

Blitz
Moose Tracks

TigerShadow wrote:Okay, why would Carson be the Secretary of Education? Why not something that actually relates to his career as a neurosurgeon, like Health and Human Services or nominating him for Surgeon General once Vivek Murthy's term is up? Education is just a bizarre choice.
As a Presidential campaign one of his focuses was education. His focus as a Neurosurgeon was studying the mind of a child, his famous operations on children. He's famous for his work with children. When he retired, he focused on education of children. Today even, he has a reading focus day for younger children. So he is qualified for this position.
Debate Vampire

Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Why are airports and airplanes so cold? :mad: *sips her hot coffee frantically*

I'm currently wrapping up a seven hour layover and sleeping in an airport is about as bad as an airplane...
GJFH wrote:Which one matches your eyes?
A50 \:D/ Although it looks prettier on the chart.

TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Blitz wrote:
TigerShadow wrote:Okay, why would Carson be the Secretary of Education? Why not something that actually relates to his career as a neurosurgeon, like Health and Human Services or nominating him for Surgeon General once Vivek Murthy's term is up? Education is just a bizarre choice.
As a Presidential campaign one of his focuses was education. His focus as a Neurosurgeon was studying the mind of a child, his famous operations on children. He's famous for his work with children. When he retired, he focused on education of children. Today even, he has a reading focus day for younger children. So he is qualified for this position.
But has he ever actually worked in education? Was he a teacher, a principal, a school superintendent, a college professor?

Education is more complicated than "knowing how a kid's mind works" and "promoting reading". It's about understanding the needs of school administrations. It's about understanding teachers and what they need. It involves experience in budgeting and management of large groups of people. It involves an intimate, firsthand knowledge of the kinds of problems schools and students are actually facing.

I went through high school in one of the worst states in the Union in terms of education, and even though my hometown contains one of the few top-rated schools in the South, I have seen what terrible administrations and educational situations look like. They come in the form of the state legislature placing the tourism industry above giving schools the time and flexibility they need. They come in the form of widespread corruption, nepotism, and incompetence left unchecked until an entire school district needs to be taken over, shut down, and overhauled by the state. They come in the form of people who act like they know what they're talking about, but don't have the experience or the skill necessary to do a remotely decent job. They come in the form of administrations and legislators prioritizing standardized test results over actual quality of teaching and learning.

A couple of years of experience (Carson retired from his job as a neurosurgeon in 2013) and medical knowledge of the brain don't cut it. The Secretary of Education advises educational policies at the federal level—they are, in many ways, responsible for the education of millions of children. Higher standards of experience and personal knowledge are required. Ben Carson doesn't meet them.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love