The Bookshelf

If it doesn't pertain to Adventures in Odyssey, you've stepped into the right place! Grab a chair, and talk about your favorite books, TV shows, join a debate, or just be random!
Jo March
Raspberry Ripple

I am reading pride and prejudice--next up, some random book I pull off my book shelf, or Johnny Tremain, or maybe The Witch of Blackbird Pond(it is not a book about witches, just so you know). =D
Jo March
"There is no such thing as impossible. The word itself says I'm possible."-Audrey Hepburn
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” –C.S. Lewis
“No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else.” P.T. Barnum
Bethany Shepard
Moose Tracks

Has anyone read the book Wicked?
"I am not a demon. I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther.
I want to be Bob Denver on acid playing the accordion."
-Nicolas Cage
Tarol
Peach Cobbler

Oh, I've read the Witch of Blackbird Pond. For school. It was okay, I think. Kind of boring if I remember right. =p I think it was a little similar to the Crucible, but my memory may be wrong...

I have, Beth! And I've regretted it ever since. xD I really liked the depth and politics whatever-the-author's-name-is wrote about in order to deepen the character of the Wicked Witch from the Wizard of Oz. It also has (basically) no similarities to the musical which is strange. xP I liked the book, but it did have a /lot/ of adult moments. =/
xo eht haiasi-
Jo March
Raspberry Ripple

I really like it! It is one of my favorites; I really like author’s other books, too.
Jo March
"There is no such thing as impossible. The word itself says I'm possible."-Audrey Hepburn
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” –C.S. Lewis
Blitz
Moose Tracks

You sure like kiddy book Helios. ;)

Uh I don't remember discussing Blood of Kings with you.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Anne of Green Gables, Sugar Creek Gang, Pollyana, Little Women, Little House on the Prairie... I'm a fan of all those (except I've never read Sugar Creek) but this topic is in desperate need of variety. That two of these titles have the cutesy word "little" says something about the books so far. Let's shake things up with some manly stuff! Well not really but here goes.

Also, is it really worth listing LOTR every time? It is a truth universally acknowledged, that there is not single man or woman who has not read LOTR.

The following isn't ranked according to how good I think they are but just how much I like them:

10. Anne of of the Island (best Anne book because Phillipa Gordon is best character!... Until she's ruined at the end.)

9. Narnia

8. Peter Pan

7. The Scarlet Pimpernel

6. A Tale of Two Cities

5. Ender's Game

4. Winnie the Pooh

3. Pride and Prejudice

2. Macbeth

1. The Sea Wolf

Honorable Mention:

Hunger Games

Raising Dragons

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Inkheart series
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Pound Foolish wrote:Also, is it really worth listing LOTR every time? It is a truth universally acknowledged, that there is not single man or woman who has not read LOTR.
I'm happy to be the exception. :mrgreen:
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
Connie G.
Peach Cobbler

*peeps head in*

*proudly stands with Countess as the [other] exception*
Strength for today, and bright hope for tomorrow.

"Why does Connie shower all of the time?" ~CGM_Games
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

I, too, have not read all the LotR books. I read through Fellowship of the Ring in fifth grade, and got halfway through The Two Towers before I stopped reading and never did pick the series up again. I could start reading it again, but college is crazy busy for me; I barely have time to do the stuff I like.

Anyway, I'm not really that much of a reader, but my favorite books are Harry Potter, The Mysterious Benedict Society, All the President's Men, The Westing Game, the Half Upon A Time series by James Riley, a number of Andrew Clements and Beverly Cleary books, and To Kill A Mockingbird. I also remember having a certain fondness for The Great Gatsby, though that may be simply because it was a book we read in AP English that didn't try so hard to make itself impossible to understand. (Lookin' at you, Faulkner. >_>)

Also, moved to the Bookshelf so we don't have two redundant topics.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Helios
Butter Pecan

Blitz wrote:You sure like kiddy book Helios. ;)

Uh I don't remember discussing Blood of Kings with you.
I am a unrepentant child. Go away and leave me to my kiddy pursuits. *channels her inner Dick Grayson*
Also, that was my point. How come we have never discussed it when we've both read it?
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

TigerShadow wrote:Anyway, I'm not really that much of a reader, but [....] The Westing Game.
Westing Game and Mockingbird, excellent.

Was the topic redundant? It was specifically discussing favorite books. So people were listing they're absolute favorites, which isn't what The Bookshelf is used for so much as discussing whatever book you read recently or is on your mind. So that's why people discussed it in the favorite books topic when they hadn't here. *pouts* Oh well, hopefully the conversation will continue.
Helios wrote:I am a unrepentant child.
Welcome, sister. Children's books are some of the finest literature ever to be penned.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Helios
Butter Pecan

Pound Foolish wrote:
Helios wrote:I am a unrepentant child.
Welcome, sister. Children's books are some of the finest literature ever to be penned.
Amen, brother. Though I must admit I have a great fondness for Jane Austen and Dickens, which are not children's books. Not all my literary tastes are as juvenile as *winces* Gordon Korman. He's just really great. :D
Bethany Shepard
Moose Tracks

I FINALLY finished Mockingjay. Now I'm starting on the first Percy Jackson.
"I am not a demon. I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther.
I want to be Bob Denver on acid playing the accordion."
-Nicolas Cage
Didi
Cookies & Creme

I just finished Fahrenheit 451 for school. I honestly think it's weird, like really weird.
"I was born with white vans on"
"Vans weren't even popular when you were born"
K.R.E.
Ashley
Raspberry Ripple

I just finished The Remains of the Day. Most of the reviews on the back talked about how sad and cruel it was... they weren't lying. :cry:
AuntSarah
Caramel Crunch

I just finished reading carry on Mr. Bowditch for school and I cried we had to talk about it at school and all the boys in the class were like EVERYONE DIES!!! YEAH and my friend and I were like :x :oops: :( :( :( :cry: :cry: :cry: I have tear stains in my book but today I started reading book 8 (How to steal a dragon's sword) out of 12 of the how to train your dragon book series and the next book I need for school is the the magician's nephew we just read (right before carry on Mr. Bowditch) the lion the witch and the wardrobe so we are kinda going in order everyone likes the Narnia book series but we are not reading them all :( I'll have to do it on my own time

any other suggestions for books?
Aha suh dude
Blitz
Moose Tracks

I just finished Way of the Kings for the 5 time and am reading Words of Radiance for the 4th time. Not a small feet at 1000 pages. Hmm... AS you should check out Jill Williamson.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
Helios
Butter Pecan

I just started The Lost Conspiracy by Frances Hardinge. It's quite intriguing. I love her style, and the concept of the Lost is fascinating. Also, people die. This is a good book. :twisted:
Didi
Cookies & Creme

I just finished Soul's Gate; it's the first book of the Well Spring series and it is AWESOME! I'm starting the second book it's super great.
"I was born with white vans on"
"Vans weren't even popular when you were born"
K.R.E.
Jo March
Raspberry Ripple

I just read A Wrinkle in Time. I thought is was weird when I first started it, but by the time I finished it, I really, Really REALLY liked it!!!
Jo March