The Bookshelf

If it doesn't pertain to Adventures in Odyssey, you've stepped into the right place! Grab a chair, and talk about your favorite books, TV shows, join a debate, or just be random!
Metal15
Peanut Butter Cup

Stella C. wrote:How is Maze Runner?? I saw that they're making a movie of it and I was thinking of reading the book(s) =]
It's AWESOME! :D I've been waiting for this movie for SO long(I've been following them practically every step of the way... XD), this is one of my favorite book trilogies.

Seriously. Read them.
I'm the leader of the KRE, the group dedicated to countering ERK the Emily-centered cult. Join either team, you'll have a blast.

My Youtube channel --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa8Nt7 ... ILthNNlUww

Feminism is cray.

FREEDOM!!!

Music FB page: https://www.facebook.com/louismusicdefinitelyofficial/
Stella C.
Peach Cobbler

Alrighty then xD

Last book I was read was Dante's Inferno......
Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring. -Proverbs 27:1
Sam: Up on our mountain, where the muffins stink, the boys aren't, and we play music all day long.. xD
Stella: Sounds AWESOME!
GratiaDei
Cookies & Creme

You liked the Mazerunners series, Metal? I honestly did not like them. They were gory in a needless, violence-numbing kind of way, and there was just so much pervasive evil and hatred. I'm all for action type fiction, but the constant fear, mistrust, and anger really made me not like these books. The hopelessness that any sort of peace or redemption could be made was really depressing. It was hard to tell the difference between good and evil, which is a distinction I want to be made in a book before bringing in all of the violence.

Wow, that was strongly opinionated for me. I'm done now.
NinjaThrowingStar
Raspberry Ripple

I am reading Graceling by Kristin Cashore. (The main character reminds me of Helios... that's all I am saying) It is a great read! If you are mature 8-13 yr old I would say the book is fine for you, but if not so, you may want to wait to read this until you are 13 & up (:
What is forever..? I shall see you again. Just after the mist has faded and time has stopped, over on the other side. Enjoy your journey and I'll enjoy mine.
Metal15
Peanut Butter Cup

GratiaDei wrote:You liked the Mazerunners series, Metal? I honestly did not like them. They were gory in a needless, violence-numbing kind of way, and there was just so much pervasive evil and hatred. I'm all for action type fiction, but the constant fear, mistrust, and anger really made me not like these books. The hopelessness that any sort of peace or redemption could be made was really depressing. It was hard to tell the difference between good and evil, which is a distinction I want to be made in a book before bringing in all of the violence.

Wow, that was strongly opinionated for me. I'm done now.
Well, you summed it up pretty well. XD But I liked that in this particular story because this is one of the only book series I've ever read that is like that to that extent. I like conflict in a story, and the main characters overcoming that conflict.

Crossing my fingers and hoping the movie reflects the books pretty well. :)
I'm the leader of the KRE, the group dedicated to countering ERK the Emily-centered cult. Join either team, you'll have a blast.

Feminism is cray.

FREEDOM!!!

Bethany Shepard
Moose Tracks

I read a larger'ish book over the weekend. So proud. *wipes tear*

Now I'm reading the Second book in the Mistmantle series. Then to the third. :twisted: It's my favorite! (Well, from my childhood recollection...)
"I am not a demon. I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther.
I want to be Bob Denver on acid playing the accordion."
-Nicolas Cage
Mara
Pistachio

I am reading Matched by Ally Condie, just because I am waiting for some other books to come in at the library.
Helios
Butter Pecan

Inkheart was my choice at the library. *shoots herself* What was I thinking? O.o So much swearing, d--- this and h--- that, and what a brat Meggie is! Not even the triumphant ending makes up for the lack of any real moral characters in the whole book. That, and the sentence structure would make Blitz pull his hair out.

Uh oh, Allie, what have you got there? :twisted:
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

I am reading The Final Hour by Andrew Klavan.

My book, Justice Lost, is on Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JM1XFCI
NateVONgreat
Cookies & Creme

i am reading a book in german to practice my german, along with a dictionary of course, im not that good. Its called "Schrei des Tigres" or " the cry of the tiger" I am not sure what it is about, i am only in the first chapter, and it is quite confusing. and im reading "The Hobbit" again :D

Sandwiches are wonderful
Sandwiches are fine!
I like sandwiches, I eat them all the time!
Bethany Shepard
Moose Tracks

I'm reading a book I got for my 10th or 11th b-day. It's called "Horse Diaries: Elska."
"I am not a demon. I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther.
I want to be Bob Denver on acid playing the accordion."
-Nicolas Cage
Mara
Pistachio

I finished Matched. Honestly, it was a bit boring until the end, but it was a pretty good book. While I am waiting for the second book, I am reading the Maze Runner.
Metal15
Peanut Butter Cup

Mara wrote:I finished Matched. Honestly, it was a bit boring until the end, but it was a pretty good book. While I am waiting for the second book, I am reading the Maze Runner.
YAY. :D Good for you.

Feminism is cray.

FREEDOM!!!

Ameraka
Fudge Marble

I just started reading Insurgent. Finally got it from th library. :)

My book, Justice Lost, is on Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JM1XFCI
Audrey
Cookies & Creme

I just finished reading Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer. I've read the entire series (with the exception of the 2nd book) like 50 times, and it's terrifying every time. d= Mostly because it's based around the world ending, and there being....NO INTERNET!!! JK. ;)
An owl and a squirrel are sitting in a tree, watching a farmer go by. The owl turns to the squirrel and says nothing, because owls can't talk. The owl then eats the squirrel because it is a bird of prey.
Wretched Sinner
Lemon Meringue

I too cannot wait for the Maze Runner trailer. I read the entire trilogy and prequel all in a month. I loved the trilogy, but thought the prequel was too slow paced with no character development.

I was patiently awaiting the trailer and watched it the second it came out. (Even though it was like....1:00 in the morning.)
Helios
Butter Pecan

Just finished the first three volumes of Brody's Ghost. Wowzer...talk about cute manga guys! :P The whole I-am-a-psychic thing is kinda weird...but Talia is hilarious. My only objection is the infrequent use of some crude words. Other than that...Mark Crilley at his best.
Stella C.
Peach Cobbler

Just ordered Maze Runner and the second book from the library, so I shall be reading that soon! :D
The last book I read was Chaucer's Canterbury Tales........ =P I'm hoping to get some fun reading in ;)
Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring. -Proverbs 27:1
Sam: Up on our mountain, where the muffins stink, the boys aren't, and we play music all day long.. xD
Stella: Sounds AWESOME!
Starflower1234
Cookies & Creme

I got and finished Heartless by Anne Elisabeth Stengl yesterday. Yes, I finished it in a few hours. Speed reading is both a gift and a curse. But I enjoyed the book. It had some good allegory, and I like the world that it's set in, and am really excited to discover more about it in the rest of the Tales of Goldstone Wood.
I made a promise, Mr. Frodo. A promise. "Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee." And I don't mean to. I don't mean to. - Sam from The Fellowship of the Ring movie
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you! - Sam from The Return of the King movie
Helios
Butter Pecan

OH!!! STARFLOWER!!! I LOVE THAT BOOK!!! O.o

I stayed up til 1: 19 am reading The Battle by Nancy Rue. It's the last of the Williamsburg Years, and the most heartbreakingly beautiful one. I've read it several times, but it never gets old. *spoiler alert I'm gonna spill the beans on one of the characters*
Alexander....nooo....you were too good for this earth...
If this book ever becomes a movie...I will sob my heart out every time I reach this part. :(