The Bookshelf

If it doesn't pertain to Adventures in Odyssey, you've stepped into the right place! Grab a chair, and talk about your favorite books, TV shows, join a debate, or just be random!
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby.
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
Bethany Shepard
Moose Tracks

Really? I grew up on those and love 'em.

I'm reading Dragons in our Midst~Circles of Seven. It's the 3rd book in the series. I HIGHLY recommend.
"I am not a demon. I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther.
I want to be Bob Denver on acid playing the accordion."
-Nicolas Cage
Wakko
Pistachio

The Maze Runner.
That took a violent/dark turn towards the end. 0_0 But it was still a pretty good book overall. :D
Bethany Shepard
Moose Tracks

Lexi (Liz'alike, aka My sis) is gonna read that during Christmas break. :)

I'm reading Little Women.

Has anyone read Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde? Or Frankenstein? Are they good?
-Nicolas Cage
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

Bethany Shepard wrote:Lexi (Liz'alike, aka My sis) is gonna read that during Christmas break. :)

I like them but then I like science fiction. I had to read Frankenstein for two English classes so I know it pretty well. Jekyll and Hyde is shorter--it's been a while since I read it.

I just (a few minutes ago) finished reading Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers.

My book, Justice Lost, is on Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JM1XFCI
Wakko
Pistachio

Bethany Shepard wrote:Lexi (Liz'alike, aka My sis) is gonna read that during Christmas break. :)

I've read Dr. Jekyll, it was excellent. :yes: I'm currently reading Frankenstein and it's good too.
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

War and Peace By Leo Tolstoy. I'm 35 pages in... never gonna finish it. Ha ha.
truAIOfan
Cookies & Creme

I just finished a book by Tim Shoemaker called The Code of Silence. It's a really good book, and easy to get caught up in. It is now one of my favorites! :)

@arnoldtherubberducky: How many pages is that book total?
“Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God.” -Corrie Ten Boom
Gooey98
Raspberry Ripple

Bethany Shepard wrote: Has anyone read Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde? Or Frankenstein? Are they good?
I've read both. I thought they were both pretty good, but I preferred Jekyll and Hyde. Frankenstein was written in a kind of dry manner, IMO. There was also a lot of anticipation (to my recollection), which I'm not a big fan of. With that said, I still thought it was a really good book.
My David Crowder*Band website: http://dcbplus.weebly.com
My YouTube: http://youtube.com/WillLocatelli
My gaming YouTube: http://youtube.com/KingGrahamGaming
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

What do you mean by "anticipation"? Do you just mean it had a lot of suspense that didn't lead to anything, or is this some technical literary term I am unfamiliar with?
Blitz
Moose Tracks

Gooey98 wrote:
Bethany Shepard wrote: Has anyone read Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde? Or Frankenstein? Are they good?
I've read both. I thought they were both pretty good, but I preferred Jekyll and Hyde. Frankenstein was written in a kind of dry manner, IMO. There was also a lot of anticipation (to my recollection), which I'm not a big fan of. With that said, I still thought it was a really good book.
Weird I am a book worm and I have yet to read these to classics. :?
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
Gooey98
Raspberry Ripple

ArnoldtheRubberDucky wrote:What do you mean by "anticipation"? Do you just mean it had a lot of suspense that didn't lead to anything, or is this some technical literary term I am unfamiliar with?
Anticipation is basically when they tell you something before it happens.

"I was happy and carefree--I never would have guessed what dark days were ahead."

I prefer a book that doesn't tell you what's coming ahead of time.
My David Crowder*Band website: http://dcbplus.weebly.com
My YouTube: http://youtube.com/WillLocatelli
My gaming YouTube: http://youtube.com/KingGrahamGaming
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

Okay, I must confess I have never heard that definition before.

I've actually read several books that do that, Hough most of the time it was meant to be humorous.
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

ArnoldtheRubberDucky wrote:Okay, I must confess I have never heard that definition before.

I've actually read several books that do that, Hough most of the time it was meant to be humorous.
Another term (which I'm more familiar with) would be foreshadowing. It has its place, but I'm not a huge fan of it either.

I'm reading Conquest and a book about Turkey and an Alien Nation book, Day of Descent, and I was sort of re-reading the Idiot by Dostoyevsky.

ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

I read Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None yesterday in about 3 hours. It's a very easy book to read, but a real page-turner with a great twist ending. It was a nice break from War and Peace, which at 1000 pages in (about 400 left to go) is starting to get very boring. :?
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

ArnoldtheRubberDucky wrote:I read Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None yesterday in about 3 hours. It's a very easy book to read, but a real page-turner with a great twist ending. It was a nice break from War and Peace, which at 1000 pages in (about 400 left to go) is starting to get very boring. :?
Love Agatha Christie. I don't think I got past 50 pages in War and Peace; it was already boring by that point. I didn't really care about the characters--essential to me when reading something. Parts of it were, perhaps, mildly interesting, but that was all. That's how I remember it anyway; I might think different if I picked it up again.

Dostoevsky (Tolstoy's contemporary) is a different matter (after me being ready to swear off all Russian authors). One of my favorite authors. I love the psychological drama of his novels.

Right now I'm reading The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun by Tolkien. It's translated Old English Poetry, so it's kind of hard to understand at times. I'm not the biggest poetry reader. But some of the phrases pierce your heart with their cold beauty.

I'm also reading a nonfiction book called Eighty Days: Nelly Bly and Elizabeth Bisland's history-making race around the world by Matthew Goodman. It's interesting so far. How a woman was limited in a job as a reporter; she was usually relegated to the "women's section", writing of clothes and society.

I need to have a novel to read, though; I have several I stopped that I could get back to. Or get a new one. :)

Bethany Shepard
Moose Tracks

I just finished "The Two Sisters of Bamarre" by Gail Carson Levine. It was awesome. :)

Also, "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" by Jeff Kinney. It wasn't as funny as I remembered as a 10 year old.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good book?
-Nicolas Cage
Stella C.
Peach Cobbler

I'm currently reading the Mockingjay for the second time. I'm looking around for another series to read from cover to cover.
Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring. -Proverbs 27:1
Sam: Up on our mountain, where the muffins stink, the boys aren't, and we play music all day long.. xD
Stella: Sounds AWESOME!
Paula
Peach Cobbler

Stella C. wrote:I'm currently reading the Mockingjay for the second time. I'm looking around for another series to read from cover to cover.
Hey Stella! Have you ever read the Wrinkle in Time Series? It's a good read for all ages.
Fast & Jelly are at it again. This time they face the evil fast clickers. Can fast be faster? Is Jelly too slow to turn them into jelly? Find out this week on Fast & Jelly! --> Penguin
"update your signature, Paperclip's term ended ages ago" -Swah
Happy now?
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

Moby Dick and a Tale of Two Cities. I think I'm going to have to renew them at the library.