Movies

If it doesn't pertain to Adventures in Odyssey, you've stepped into the right place! Grab a chair, and talk about your favorite books, TV shows, join a debate, or just be random!
truAIOfan
Cookies & Creme

The last movie that I watched was Despicable Me. Those minions are so fun!

Next week I am going to go see Night at the Museum 3; can't wait! :)
“Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God.” -Corrie Ten Boom
vickygreen48
Strawberry

just saw "Moms Night Out". ITS SOOO FUNNY!!! its a must see movie.

incase you don't know this movie, its made by the makers of facing the giants and courageous
Connie: someone may need to slap me
Eugene: are u asking for a volunteer? ...
Connie: how is he?... no no wait i may need to sit down... no no i should stay on my feet, will someone catch me if i pass out?
Eugene: before or after we slap you
-Album 58 The Ties That Bind Part 10
Wakko
Pistachio

vickygreen48 wrote:just saw "Moms Night Out". ITS SOOO FUNNY!!! its a must see movie.

incase you don't know this movie, its made by the makers of facing the giants and courageous
That movie wasn't that good... At all... ._.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

It got an 18% rating on Rotten Tomato, that's still better than Kirk Cameron's latest film which got 0%
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

Yeah, the critics aren't too wild about Kirk Cameron... or Christian movies in general, for that matter. Sometimes they can be a little too... well, critical, but most of the time they're right.

I watched bits and pieces of Night At the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian on TV a couple days ago. It's not as funny as I remember it being when I was 9. :|
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Having worked on Christian films for a number of years I can testify firsthand that they are, in general, of lower quality than most other films.

Night At the Museum got 44% on Rotten Tomato, about the same as Fireproof. So I guess the Rotten Tomato critics call movies like they see it, I generally accept their ratings.
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

I do as well, though I used to go a bit too far with my acceptance, and I got to the point where I completely let my opinions be swayed by their consensus. There have been two times in recent memory where I completely disagreed with them. They overrated Gravity, and underrated Interstellar.
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
vickygreen48
Strawberry

Wakko wrote:
vickygreen48 wrote:just saw "Moms Night Out". ITS SOOO FUNNY!!! its a must see movie.

That movie wasn't that good... At all... ._.
really? i thought it was good
Connie: how is he?... no no wait i may need to sit down... no no i should stay on my feet, will someone catch me if i pass out?
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

What did you like about the movie?

vickygreen48
Strawberry

i thought there were some funny parts in the middle of the movie. just the beginning wasnt as good. I'm surprised that most people don't like it.
it wasnt the bestest movie i have ever seen but i liked it
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

The reviews seem to be saying that the characters weren't engaging or realistic, what do you think about that?

Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Eleventh Doctor wrote:It got an 18% rating on Rotten Tomato, that's still better than Kirk Cameron's latest film which got 0%
Come along. It's witty and has lot of heart. "No, this weekend. As in this desk, this notepad *click*this pen." Though not everyone finds the same things fun, but it was a well-done comedy. And Fireproof, Good Dr!? Why do people feel obligated to smash all Christian movies? Fireproof was the typical jerk-becomes-totally-nice-and-flawless-as-soon-as-he's-Christian deal. But it was romantic, had a couple capable action sequences, a few good jokes, nice dialogue. All in pretty fair experience.

Must say I'm looking forward to Museum as well. The other two were brilliantly clever and shamelessly nerdy. Historical objects and people coming to life and interacting!? Squee! So nerdily awesome.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Because they're so much worse than non-Christian films, I'm not saying this out of hate but as a call to Christians to make better films. No film critic found that movie witty or funny, literally no critic. Unless you're saying the liberal media has a secret conspiracy to tank Christian films that has to say something.

Fireproof was just bad and it got 44% from Rotten Tomato. The writing was shallow and cliched as you said and the film techniques were just so amateurish. You said it had nice dialogue, I sure don't remember any.

There can be good films about Christians, I think the movie Amazing Grace is a solid example. But that film was made mostly by non-Christians and several Christian filmmakers I know have panned it because it wasn't Christian enough. Chariots of Fire is a great movie with Christian themes, a real classic. People can make good movies with Christian characters and themes, it just seems that Christians aren't very good at either.

Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Ah yes, critics. The fellows who called some movie called Godzilla, "grotesque trash", hated or ignored It's Wonderful life and Psycho. Such awful movies. On the other hand, they consistently praise such masterpieces as Bridesmaids. Not that critics are always wrong, they loved frozen and they usually have a point, but still. I was amused by the movie, if critics who prefer Bridesmaids don't, then oh well.

Well, it's been awhile since Fireproof. But I recall Caleb saying to the smooth moving Dr., "And since I'm married to her, I'd say I've got a head start." And Katherine saying something like, "Is it too late to ask if I can grow old with you?" Seems quite punchy.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Those are your examples of great dialogue? Okay then, we clearly have different levels of standards. You also completely ignored my comments about the writing and technical quality.

Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Well, yes. As you said, I acknowledged that a lot of the basic storyline was trite before you ever said so.

What's wrong with the examples, exactly? Not that it's impossible i have bad taste here, but is there anything specific you can point to as bad?
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I think they're examples of the trite writing, I've heard those lines or variations on those lines dozens of times in other films. They're nothing special.

Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Oh, alrighty then. I've never heard anything like them, so I was like, "Ooh, that's good!" Kind of like the mist in Dawn Treader. People keep insisting evil mist is cliche but well, i've just never come across a film with evil magic mist so I like it.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Maybe expand the number of movies you've watched then.

Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Okey doki loki. But frankly, I've been asked a few times "How do you find time to watch so many movies?" Maybe those lines tend to be in a certain kind of movie? I haven't seen that many movies with adultery, so there aren't many occasions to say, "Since I'm married to her I'd say I've got a head start."