Pop or Soda?

If it doesn't pertain to Adventures in Odyssey, you've stepped into the right place! Grab a chair, and talk about your favorite books, TV shows, join a debate, or just be random!

Which do you say?

Pop
35%
Soda
43%
Soda Pop
No votes
Coke
9%
Other
13%

Total votes: 23

Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

Pop or Soda?

I was having an interesting discussion with a Canadian friend of mine about Pop vs. Soda. He, up in Canada, calls it Pop, and so do I, down in central CO.

So, I'm wondering about you guys. Which is it to you? I've also heard that people in some places call every kind of soda pop "coke"...

(And for that matter, what's your favorite kind? I like cream soda, and any kind of fruit pop mixed with sprite. :D)
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
Blitz
Moose Tracks

We, Africans call it... mineral. *shrugs* I also call is coke.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Belle wrote:So, I'm wondering about you guys. Which is it to you? I've also heard that people in some places call every kind of soda pop "coke"...
Hey, y'all; that'll be down here in the South. :D Although whatever you call it, I don't like any soft drinks—not a fan of the fizz.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

Yeah, I hardly ever have any kind of soft drink. Personally, I call it soda, but I'm different from the rest of my family. :P We're not far south enough to call everything coke, and my mother is from the north, so it's either referred to as pop or soda pop.
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

I usually identify it by brand name—or if I'm feeling really pretentious, "carbonated drink". ;) But I am aware of and have heard people down here talk about a Coke and they're referring to pretty much any soft drink that isn't brand-name Coca-Cola.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
GratiaDei
Cookies & Creme

I call it soda (so does everybody else I know), but I never drink it. My one exception is a certain kind of root beer made at a restaurant nearby. Otherwise, it's just water for me.
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

Yeah, it's mostly water for me too, but I do call it soda.
Bethany Shepard
Moose Tracks

I called it soda, too. I tried to call it pop once, but if I'm talking about soda (Which, ya' know, comes into everyones daily conversation) I usually am talking about a specific type (Dr. Pepper, Pepsi, Sprite, etc.) and it just didn't stick.
"I am not a demon. I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther.
I want to be Bob Denver on acid playing the accordion."
-Nicolas Cage
Stella C.
Peach Cobbler

Around here it's mostly just "soda" (although I never drink it.... IMPO it tastes NASTY ;) ).
Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring. -Proverbs 27:1
Sam: Up on our mountain, where the muffins stink, the boys aren't, and we play music all day long.. xD
Stella: Sounds AWESOME!
Mickey
Peach Cobbler

It's pop where I come from!!!! My favorite is Root Beer!!!!
Proud K.R.E Member
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

Pop! My sister and I were talking about this yesterday. Like, soda is more like the old fashioned term or something, and pop is more modern. I'll have to look it up.

I live in the Midwest, btw.

My book, Justice Lost, is on Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JM1XFCI
Mickey
Peach Cobbler

I think soda is more old fashioned.
Proud K.R.E Member
Renae
Fudge Marble
Location: ....I'll be in a different place every time you read this....

In Chicago we say pop. I've heard that some people say coke and that just doesn't make sense to me. Doesn't coke just refer to coca cola?

I love squirt and fanta. But I usually go with coca cola because my family loves it..in fact, it's like water to us :D
Renae: Faithful companion of Drama King, aka Jimmy Barclay.
shnoodlec.
Fudge Marble

If it's Coca-Cola or Pepsi-Cola, it's coke. If it's just something fizzy, it's soda.
*growls and refuses to accept the fact that people say it differently*
GRRRRRR.
TigerShadow wrote:I usually identify it by brand name—or if I'm feeling really pretentious, "carbonated drink". ;) But I am aware of and have heard people down here talk about a Coke and they're referring to pretty much any soft drink that isn't brand-name Coca-Cola.
If you don't mind my asking, what part of the South do you live in? I've never heard anyone call it "coke" where I live.
High wellborn Lady shnoodlec Knight of the Order of Augustine, formally known as Queen of the Monkeys. Q&A thread HERE. "SHNOOD IS THE OLDBIE NEWBIE AND SHE IS THE ONLY ONE WHO GETS THAT TITLE" - Belle
jehoshaphat
Cookies & Creme

It is obviously pop. There is no other way to honestly describe a carbonated sweet beverage.