Yo yo Christian

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
Whitfan
Strawberry

Yo yo Christian

Hey guys. I want to say that yes I am a yo-yo Christian at times, but not now. Why do you think that is? I believe it is because sometimes I get frustrated at GOD for things that are beyond my control. I would love to hear what you have to say about this subject.
"Don't give up on your faith. Love comes to those who believe it. And that's the way it is."
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Could you define what you mean by a yo-yo Christian?
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
GratiaDei
Cookies & Creme

Do you mean a Christian who has doubts a lot? Or someone who sins all the time?
Whitfan
Strawberry

What I mean is someone who is a Christian for a while, then not, then Christian. Just like a yo-yo dieter. Is that a good explain action for you to answer for me?
"Don't give up on your faith. Love comes to those who believe it. And that's the way it is."
GratiaDei
Cookies & Creme

Yeah. To answer your question with another question, in these times of "not being a Christian" do you not go to church, or do you become an atheist (as in not believe there is a god), or believe that God is a bad god, or do you just feel that your faith isn't as strong? I don't believe that it makes you not a Christian if you have doubts. I also know that it is really hard to believe in a loving God in the midst of sorrow. What happens when you feel like you're not a Christian?
Whitfan
Strawberry

I say that you don't have to go to church. Sometimes I do become an atheist.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

If you don't mind sharing details, how long have these periods of atheism lasted?
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Whitfan
Strawberry

Usually they last about a week or so. Then I come out of the funk. I just never know why it happens. Does anyone know the answer to it?
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I think the Christian life is about falling down and picking ourselves right back up, knowing that God is there waiting for us and wants to help. I don't mean to trivialize your experiences but I think they are more a funk than actual atheism. It happens because the Christian life is not static and we'll go through bad times. Those bad times don't define us though, so don't think of yourself as a yo-yo Christian.

Whitfan
Strawberry

I do feel like I am a yo-yo Christian though. I end up believing in God one minute, then the next I decide it's not right to believe in Him.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I don't think that makes you an atheist, it means you have doubts. An atheist is not someone who believes in God one minute then in the next doesn't. Being a Christian is not a flip one switches off or on, it is not a legal status, or a philosophical belief. It is a way of life and that life can include doubt.

Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

Eleventh Doctor wrote:I don't think that makes you an atheist, it means you have doubts. An atheist is not someone who believes in God one minute then in the next doesn't. Being a Christian is not a flip one switches off or on, it is not a legal status, or a philosophical belief. It is a way of life and that life can include doubt.
Very well stated, Doctor.
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle