Does the SS need a chat?

Anything important goes on the bulletin board, including the rules and guidelines.

Chat?

Yes!
70%
No.
9%
Don't really care either way. >_<
22%

Total votes: 69

Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

ArnoldtheRubberDucky wrote:Did Belle not see these posts, or is she just ignoring them?
My problem is that you directly oppose the ToO chat, even though I've never even seen you on it..

Also, the only feasible way to have a chat at the moment would be one on the ToO chat..and if everyone is on the ToO chat already, why have a second room?
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
Novatom
Raspberry Ripple

The ToO chat has people on the ToO, who I don't know.
17:39<Novatom>: I'm in another boat. A boat of people who don't know what everyone's talking about. A boat that is sinking.
17:40<Sameriazx>: oh no... here we go again...
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Can you really "know" someone on the Internet?
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Wakko
Pistachio

Belle wrote:
ArnoldtheRubberDucky wrote:Did Belle not see these posts, or is she just ignoring them?
My problem is that you directly oppose the ToO chat, even though I've never even seen you on it..

Also, the only feasible way to have a chat at the moment would be one on the ToO chat..and if everyone is on the ToO chat already, why have a second room?
Well then by your logic. What's the use of more than one message board? Why can't we just have one?
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

Because message boards can vary wildly in feature sets and styles, while chat is pretty much limited to text transmitted live over the internet.
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

Okay, okay, sorry. I have been on the ToO chat several times, and I never saw you either. But you're right in that I should spend a bit more time on it before I completely write it off. I'll try to get on it more and see if I like the feel of it just as much as the old SS chat. I think I understand your decision a bit better now, and I feel a little stupid for opposing something I didn't know a ton about. So, no hard feelings, and you're right, as usual. :D
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
Ashley
Raspberry Ripple

TigerShadow wrote:Can you really "know" someone on the Internet?
One word: YES.

Some of my best friends I met through the internet. I met Abby and Mandie (SparkyHappyGiraffe and ilovejason) through the internet, then met them in real life almost a year later, and we've become really close. And I'm really good friends with Ashleigh, and we've never met irl.
Novatom
Raspberry Ripple

I didn't actually mean "know" as in actually met them and be friends with them, but I do know about the people on here (personalities I mean).
17:39<Novatom>: I'm in another boat. A boat of people who don't know what everyone's talking about. A boat that is sinking.
Bethany Shepard
Moose Tracks

Not to sound disrespectful, but if the administration isn't comfortable making a chat, then why is this topic even still up?
"I am not a demon. I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther.
I want to be Bob Denver on acid playing the accordion."
-Nicolas Cage
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

I don't think deleting or locking this topic would really solve anything. All we're doing is voicing our opinions on the overall message board, which is the whole point of "The Bulletin Board" forum.

I think the solution here is clearly for all loyal SSers to boycott the far inferior ToO chat. :twisted:
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

The ToO chat is fine, if SS people want they can even create their own chat room inside the ToO chat. I am on the ToO chat all the time and I find no problems with it, I can see the argument for having more than one forum but there is really no reason to have more than one chat.
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

ArnoldtheRubberDucky wrote: I think the solution here is clearly for all loyal SSers to boycott the far inferior ToO chat. :twisted:
Inferior? You can do so so so much more on the ToO chat that we ever could on the SS chat, including banning, kicking, private messaging, and creating your own rooms..

Plus, your fair admin is an op on the ToO chat, so the leadership is not solely ToO leadership..
Eleventh Doctor wrote:The ToO chat is fine, if SS people want they can even create their own chat room inside the ToO chat. I am on the ToO chat all the time and I find no problems with it, I can see the argument for having more than one forum but there is really no reason to have more than one chat.
^Truth post says the truth.
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

Wait, you couldn't kick or ban on the old SS chat?

How was anything moderated, then?
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

Mr. Whit's End wrote:Wait, you couldn't kick or ban on the old SS chat?

How was anything moderated, then?
The messages could be deleted, and people could be banned from even seeing the chat, but that took longer.
Novatom
Raspberry Ripple

Belle wrote:You can do so so so much more on the ToO chat that we ever could on the SS chat, including banning, kicking, private messaging, and creating your own rooms..
The chat room wouldn't have to be like the old SS chat. You could add these features and probably some others.
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

Novatom wrote:
Belle wrote:You can do so so so much more on the ToO chat that we ever could on the SS chat, including banning, kicking, private messaging, and creating your own rooms..
The chat room wouldn't have to be like the old SS chat. You could add these features and probably some others.
In the past, I have looked into such chats, and to have such features, you must pay. I know that neither Bren nor I have the finances for such an endeavor right now...

Let's just make this clear. There is no way for the old chat, as it was, to come back. It's gone, kaput, broken, etc.

As far as a new chat, the ToO chat already has leadership from this board, along with many of the same chatters. Thus, no new chat is necessary.
Novatom
Raspberry Ripple

Belle wrote:Let's just make this clear. There is no way for the old chat, as it was, to come back. It's gone, kaput, broken, etc.
How is there no way for the old chat to return? We should take a vote.
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

That was the point of this thread. The vote has been taken, voices have been heard, but as of now, there is no foreseeable return of the SS chat. As to why, Belle and others have explained why...many, many times, and for a multitude of reasons.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

Novatom wrote:
Belle wrote:Let's just make this clear. There is no way for the old chat, as it was, to come back. It's gone, kaput, broken, etc.
How is there no way for the old chat to return? We should take a vote.
Because it is broken. Gone. Kaput. Vamoose. Absent. Left. Disappeared. Wrecked. Shattered. Conked out. Busted.

Bren busted it, and it is impossible for it to return.

At this point, I believe I will lock the thread, as Beth suggested, and since questions that have been explained many times keep being brought up.