It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Odyssey Time
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:27 pm 
Mocha Jamocha

The problem is that this calls into question how long it takes Connie to graduate high school. She first appears as a high schooler in Album 1, and graduates in Album 31, which means that by this timeline, it took her almost eight years to graduate (not counting the year she probably already had under her belt, given that she started the show at sixteen). It also means that certain child characters, like Lucy and Mandy, took at least five years to go through middle school, which doesn't jive with their respective characterizations as intelligent students. Unfortunately, I couldn't get your webpage to load, so I don't know about your methods and I can't comment on them, but I don't think it's as simple as "this amount of albums equals a year"—I think different groups of albums cover different periods of time.

I do like discussing the Odyssey timeline, though, especially as it relates to history and current events. I personally believe that the show begins in 1987 and only around ten years have passed, and here's why:

Given the constant references to arcades during the first few years of the show (a very '80s thing to be into) and the fact that there was an episode where everyone concluded that tabletop RPGs are evil incarnate (which falls in with the time of the moral panic over Dungeons and Dragons in the 1980s), I think it's safe to say that that's when the show begins. Whit, being born no later than 1924 (since he served in WWII) is now in his early sixties, and Jenny probably only died and Whit obtained the Fillmore Recreation Center and turned it into Whit's End a few years prior to that.

Then take into consideration how the generations of child characters work—they stick around from late elementary to all of middle school, which spans four years in most school systems. Two generations of kids have passed, meaning at least eight years have gone by; at this point, we're probably halfway through this new generation, so two years have passed by since Album 50. Putting this together, that means that about ten years have passed in-show, so that means that we are now in the year 1997. So if you make allowances for a couple of lapses in continuity, Connie's graduation doesn't take her quite so long and could fit within a normal timeframe, and Whit is in his early seventies instead of pushing eighty or over ninety. (Advances in technology can be explained by the mere existence of people like John Avery Whittaker; if he can create virtual reality technology that is enviable even by today's standards, then I can allow for smartphones becoming widespread a decade ahead of their time.)

More importantly, this also means that, if technology accelerates but everything else remains the same, the show is now set in the era of the Backstreet Boys. \:D/

MF: *abolishes the debate nun monument*
Tiger: Eh, that's cool. It gets lonely in the convent. :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:15 pm 
Cookies & Creme

That might work if it weren't for a couple things. First, all the current characters wear clothing from this time period. Of course, that COULD be brushed off as like you said, just different things happening in their world than ours. But unfortunately in the February edition of Club House, it's plainly stated that when Wooton and Penny went to visit her parents, it was 2016. Wooton gives Penny a gift for valentine's day. It's Water World tickets for 2066. Penny's response is, "You got us Water World tickets for 50 years from now?" To deny this truth, you would have to say that Club House isn't canon, any more than fanfic might be.

"Let me get this straight. I bet all those non-friends of yours try to embarrass you about your love for that stuff, right? So, you almost feel like you have to hide your treasures away and can only take them out in secret on rainy days when your mom goes to the store to get more liver and nobody is around to berate your sensitive spirit. Is that what you’re saying?" -Jay Smouse

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:25 pm 
Mocha Jamocha

Honestly? I kind of do deny that Clubhouse is canon, and I have for quite a while. It's a subscription magazine that not every listener gets, even if they're in the target demographic; I sort of put it on the same level as, say, the Harry Potter movies are to the books—it's only canon if you want it to be. I'd rather deny that Clubhouse is canon than suggest that Connie took over eight years to go through high school. (In the same vein, I also don't really take the official art to be canon, either—it's a suggestion to me, not a rule, since that same official art showed the clearly-redheaded Liz to be a brunette in every depiction of her, save the one in Clubhouse where she inexplicably has Aubrey's design.)

Besides, if the series is now in 2016 and Whit was born in 1924 (again, the latest year he'd have to have been born, given that he served in Guadalcanal), then he'd have to be 92. Now, I know some very active 92-year-olds, but none on Whit's level; it makes more sense to me that less time has passed, because I can believe in a sixty-seventy year old going on archaeological expeditions and surviving a blow to the head like he took in "The Top Floor" with minimal damage much more easily than I can someone who's in his eighties or nineties.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:02 pm 
Banana Fudge

Merged the two Odyssey Time topics.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:39 pm 
Mocha Jamocha

My bad, should have caught that. :oops:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:10 pm 
Banana Fudge

TigerShadow wrote:
The problem is that this calls into question how long it takes Connie to graduate high school. She first appears as a high schooler in Album 1, and graduates in Album 31, which means that by this timeline, it took her almost eight years to graduate (not counting the year she probably already had under her belt, given that she started the show at sixteen). It also means that certain child characters, like Lucy and Mandy, took at least five years to go through middle school, which doesn't jive with their respective characterizations as intelligent students. Unfortunately, I couldn't get your webpage to load, so I don't know about your methods and I can't comment on them, but I don't think it's as simple as "this amount of albums equals a year"—I think different groups of albums cover different periods of time.

Agreed. To be clear, my theories list each album as taking up x number of days, however I view that as an average, and not necessarily exact in each case (examples being albums which are explicitly stated to be a certain length of time long, like the GRC).

For ease of reference, here are my theories:
http://cryinbriandern.blogspot.com/p/odyssey-time.html

Offline Profile  

Post subject: AIO Time on the AIO Conspiracy
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:36 pm 
Raspberry Ripple

I have a feature on my site and I need references to the passage of time. Like how Jimmy says it's been three years since Family Vacation in Coming of Age.Here's the page link http://theaioconspiracy.weebly.com/aio-time.html

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:48 pm 
Peach Cobbler

In one episode, Jimmy also says it's been a year since everyone came to help by bringing presents, but that only indicates the passage of one year (Christmas) which may have been obvious anyway.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:21 pm 
Raspberry Ripple

The whole smartphone issue is easily resolved by looking when smartphones were first released. 2005. I can believe that the same town with the Imagination Station is only 5 years ahead of real world developments. Edit: Also
The Day Ambrosia Stood Still has an EMP generator, and LCD is Canon as it is mentioned in No Way In, when Whit says Jason is going to Black Sands.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: AIO Time on the AIO Conspiracy
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:58 pm 
Mocha Jamocha

Agent.MontyWhittaker wrote:
I have a feature on my site and I need references to the passage of time. Like how Jimmy says it's been three years since Family Vacation in Coming of Age.Here's the page link http://theaioconspiracy.weebly.com/aio-time.html

Honestly, if you want Odyssey time to make even the slightest bit of sense in the broader context of the show, you're gonna have to ignore stuff like that. The show tried a lot harder in its earlier days to pay attention to the passage of time, but now it's pretty clear that time goes much slower. (Really, all you need to do to throw a wrench into attempts to figure out Odyssey time based on every bit of info the show gives us is how long it took Connie to graduate from high school.)

Personally, I just apply broad strokes to the canon, ignore references to specific units of time from within the show, shrug, and hope for the best. Odyssey time theories, by their very nature, tend to resemble less of a solidly founded house and more of a Jenga tower.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:45 am 
Strawberry

Ok personal I've always gone every 5 albums is around a year, Cause there is usually a Christmas episode somewhere in there and It just makes the most since on why Whit isn't dead yet (even though he is indeed old). Of course, this has its flaws to it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:13 am 
Raspberry Ripple

Actually my theory is that every 134 eps = 1 year.If you are up 134 episodes 3 times you get the Graduate, therefore Odyssey is currently in its 6th year. Odysseus is in 1995, assuming it started in 1989.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:27 pm 
Strawberry

Agent.MontyWhittaker wrote:
Actually my theory is that every 134 eps = 1 year.If you are up 134 episodes 3 times you get the Graduate, therefore Odyssey is currently in its 6th year. Odysseus is in 1995, assuming it started in 1989.

That is reasonably. Except that a lot of the kid characters have grown up so Odyssey being only 6 years just wouldn't work. But I can see that.

Offline Profile